Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February Banter 2019

George BM

1 hour ago, nj2va said:

Looks like its this:

https://www.davisinstruments.com/product/rain-collector-cone-including-heater/

It requires AC adapter power so your station would need to be need an outlet it seems.

I added this years ago.  It's a great addition but it does underreport up to 15-20% at times due to airflow above the heated cone.  

My station is sited about 75' from the house.  The anemometer is on a pole that extends about 7' above the pinnacle of my roof (to achieve the 10m height standard.). The wire coming down from the anemometer is mounted to the side of my house and once it reaches the ground, I strung it through a length of PVC pipe that runs to the station, that I buried in the ground.  In that same pipe, I extended the power cord from the heater which returns to the house and runs through a small hole I drilled so it can connect to an outlet inside and allows me to switch it on and off from there.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just now, WVclimo said:

I added this years ago.  It's a great addition but it does underreport up to 15-20% at times due to airflow above the heated cone.  

My station is sited about 75' from the house.  The anemometer is on a pole that extends about 7' above the pinnacle of my roof (to achieve the 10m height standard.). The wire coming down from the anemometer is mounted to the side of my house and once it reaches the ground, I strung it through a length of PVC pipe that runs to the station, that I buried in the ground.  In that same pipe, I extended the power cord from the heater which retrurns to the house and runs through a small hole I drilled so it can connect to an outlet inside and allows me to switch it on and off from there.

That is one impressive sounding setup you've got!  I think I'm going to hire someone to go up on the roof and move the anemometer up there...I hate heights. :P

5 minutes ago, nj2va said:

That is one impressive sounding setup you've got!  I think I'm going to hire someone to go up on the roof and move the anemometer up there...I hate heights. :P

I am pretty proud that I mounted that pole up there with the cups on top 13 years ago and it has withstood every storm and high wind since.  But honestly, I am not sure I could do it again if it ever came down.  Things aren't as easy as they were when I was younger, especially sloped roofs, lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

OPM has a new policy.  Federal employees no longer get snow days or weather and safety leave as it is now called.  We must either take personal leave or telework.  

Feds get weather and safety leave if they’re not able to telework. I don’t see the issue with that. Small tradeoff for getting to work remotely on a regular basis.

20 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Not true for everyone. I know this. 

Exactly. Plenty of people who have no means to telework due to security and the like. They don’t have to take personal leave.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, winterymix said:

Could you comment on my analysis of the upcoming storm based upon the NAM?

My eval. for Balto. DC corridor:

-snow from 10Z to 17Z

-sleet from 15Z to 22Z

freezing rain from 18Z    2/20 until   5Z   2/21

Seems reasonable. DC will probably flip around 15z with Baltimore around 17-19z. ZR will occur at both areas around 21-22z and continue for 2-4 hours before going to all rain. Just NW of the cities will have a prolonged period of frozen and will be icy.