Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February Banter 2019

George BM

2 minutes ago, Fozz said:

Yeah I heard Feb 1983 hit very quick and hard, also with lots of thundersnow. What do you think the visibility was in Feb 1979? I think the lowest I've seen was slightly under 1/10 of a mile, in both January 2016 and Feb 10, 2010.

I was a dumb-ass kid in '79 so I'd be guessing on visibility, but I remember sitting at the bay window in our living room and seeing across the street was tough in the neighborhood with 1/4 acre lots.  It was just a sea of white.  If it happened now while I am a dumb-ass adult, I'd probably take note of it.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I was a dumb-ass kid in '79 so I'd be guessing on visibility, but I remember sitting at the bay window in our living room and seeing across the street was tough in the neighborhood with 1/4 acre lots.  It was just a sea of white.  If it happened now while I am a dumb-ass adult, I'd probably take note of it.

Sounds pretty incredible. I've read that it was also a complete surprise since forecasters were only expecting a moderate storm.

Back in high school, my friend went on a ski trip to Utah, and he told me that when he was there, it was snowing at a foot per hour on the mountain. He was probably exaggerating and I was very skeptical even then. I don't think a foot per hour is meteorologically possible anywhere..... is it?

13 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

The rates on President's Day 1979 were some of the highest I have ever experienced.  Absolutely poured snow for hours.  I also remember standing in the middle of my street during the 1983 blizzard when the skies lit up with lightning followed by an immediate crack of snow-muffled thunder.  I almost crapped myself, but it was pouring dessert plates at the time.  Those rates may have been even heavier than '79, but didn't last as long.

I was living along Rt 1 between Jessup and Savage, MD in Feb 1983.  I measured 4.8" in an hour that featured the best thundersnow I have ever experienced.  The nearest house to mine was about 300' away and for much of that hour I couldn't see the place from my front door.  Truest white out I have seen too, though there were moments in January 2016 that came close here in WV.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

After trying stormvista and weathermodels.com I think I like stormvista a lot better.  Graphics aren’t as good but the site works so much better, especially on mobile.  Weathermodels.com is a mess. 

Yeah, I've used both this winter (but didn't re-up SV this month).  Overall I liked the performance/reliability of SV much better.  Graphics aren't pretty but the site just seems to work.  I do like that Ryan M. has been creating more and more content on Weathermodels.  I'll check back in next fall to see if they've fixed the layout/organization issues before committing again.

Just now, nj2va said:

Yeah, I've used both this winter (but didn't re-up SV this month).  Overall I liked the performance/reliability of SV much better.  Graphics aren't pretty but the site just seems to work.  I do like that Ryan M. has been creating more and more content on Weathermodels.  I'll check back in next fall to see if they've fixed the layout/organization issues before committing again.

Yeah me too, much better maps but they take forever to load and sometimes it says it’s out to 66h or whatever but those panels don’t load. SV never failed me once. 

Just now, DCTeacherman said:

Yeah me too, much better maps but they take forever to load and sometimes it says it’s out to 66h or whatever but those panels don’t load. SV never failed me once. 

Exactly, its maddening sometimes...I have found that turning the pre-load toggle to "on" actually helps load each panel vs skipping some (albeit sometimes slow depending if I'm looking at a zoomed in view of a particular area vs CONUS/regional view).  

1 minute ago, Fozz said:

Sounds pretty incredible. I've read that it was also a complete surprise since forecasters were only expecting a moderate storm.

I could go on about that storm for hours.  The forecast was for 2 - 4" in PG county where I lived and it came at the end of a stretch of really cold, dry pattern.  I was ice skating on St. Leonard's creek down in @PrinceFrederickWx's area on Sunday.  The ice was well over a foot thick on the half mile wide creek, but my sister and I had to come off the ice when the tide came up.  Water was coming up and over the ice along the shore, which was probably how it got so thick in the first place.

Anyway, snow started falling by about 3PM and by the time we got home that evening, there was already two inches on the ground.  I went out to shovel thinking half had already fallen, but when I woke up the next morning and turned on my weather radio, I heard the real voice saying, "Roanoke, 14", Culpepper, 16", ..." 

It was still before sunrise, but I jumped out of bed and could see that our two-rung wooden fence was almost one rung because the snow was so deep.  Right around sunrise Monday morning was when the rates got the best.  Definitely my favorite storm of all time.  Probably because it was my first blizzard and the first really big snow in DC in years.

• Like 3

Just now, losetoa6 said:

My chase to the Nemo storm was soooooo worth it . As a kid I remember in 83' being a snow globe look for hours.  I think Allentown, Pa saw 5-6" per hour in 83

No question that storm was worth it. One of the better blizzards I may ever see. I was positioned in Waltham, Mass, just west of Boston and the loop. Watching those bands on radar come into the region one after the other was a site to behold. My dad talks about '83. Said it's still to this day the biggest flakes he has ever seen. 

5 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I could go on about that storm for hours.  The forecast was for 2 - 4" in PG county where I lived and it came at the end of a stretch of really cold, dry pattern.  I was ice skating on St. Leonard's creek down in @PrinceFrederickWx's area on Sunday.  The ice was well over a foot thick on the half mile wide creek, but my sister and I had to come off the ice when the tide came up.  Water was coming up and over the ice along the shore, which was probably how it got so thick in the first place.

Anyway, snow started falling by about 3PM and by the time we got home that evening, there was already two inches on the ground.  I went out to shovel thinking half had already fallen, but when I woke up the next morning and turned on my weather radio, I heard the real voice saying, "Roanoke, 14", Culpepper, 16", ..." 

It was still before sunrise, but I jumped out of bed and could see that our two-rung wooden fence was almost one rung because the snow was so deep.  Right around sunrise Monday morning was when the rates got the best.  Definitely my favorite storm of all time.  Probably because it was my first blizzard and the first really big snow in DC in years.

That's gotta be a really stunning moment.... I wish there was good footage of those rates but 1979 was such a long time ago. Speaking of which, it's now been exactly 40 years since the evening you shoveled.

7 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I wasn’t born yet for that storm, but my mother (who has lived in Maryland all her life) tells me nothing compares to that storm. She and I have actually been trying for some time to locate photos she took during that storm and afterwards, but we currently haven’t been able to find them. If we ever do find them I will post some here.

8 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

My chase to the Nemo storm was soooooo worth it . As a kid I remember in 83' being a snow globe look for hours.  I think Allentown, Pa saw 5-6" per hour in 83.

I think there was lightning in 83 as well 

Same here. I was in Uxbridge, which was about halfway between Providence and Worcester. Right around sunset it started getting heavy and I went on a jebwalk with AmyB. It was a stunning snow globe, and I think we were out for over an hour. Based on the look of her porch and her bench from before and after, I think we had 3-4"/hour rates. The storm total ended up around 27". That jebwalk was probably one of my greatest memories of winter weather... it was incredible. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

I wasn’t born yet for that storm, but my mother (who has lived in Maryland all her life) tells me nothing compares to that storm. She and I have actually been trying for some time to locate photos she took during that storm and afterwards, but we currently haven’t been able to find them. If we ever do find them I will post some here.

I have some and even newspaper clippings. I’ll dig them out during my off day Wednesday 

• Like 2

Just now, losetoa6 said:

My location was around 24" but just literally 25 Miles east I think I recall hearing 36" +

There was 40" between New Haven and Stamford along I-95. We came back home the night after the storm ended and we cut down 95 to get home. It looked like a bomb went off. Cars stranded in the middle of the road with well over a foot in spots on 95. They were using multiple plows and front end loaders just to clear I-95 it was so bad. 

29 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I think Leesburg remembers it too.  He grew up in the same area.

Grew up in Takoma park Maryland I remember waking up to look out the window expecting just a little and the stuff was up over the bottom of the window. Loved it

• Like 2