Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February Banter 2019

George BM

10 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

???

Sorry if you thought I meant the personal attacks on you weren't bad.  That was not what I meant, and I wished they had banned him long before they did.  Some of the stuff you put up with directed at you was way out of line.  I was talking about the quality of posts in general.  

I didn't say it wasn't bad...but it seemed just as bad last year and the year before.  Maybe in a slightly different way.  Last year was a non stop stream of people complaining that we were talking about the long range in the long range thread, or people throwing a tantrum every time a long range threat evaporated.  There seemed to be more straight up trolling this year perhaps.  But the percentage of legit to nonsense posts didn't seem any worse IMO.  But I don't always pay attention to that and I am not as picky about strict thread rules as some so maybe I just didn't notice.  

I think I have a different view of what debbing is though.  Sjnokoma and snowstorm23423423 were debbing when they would find any stupid reason to say its bad even when it actually looked good.  But saying it looks like poo when it does look like poo isnt debbing its just being honest.   

i'm not the only person who has said this year is rough. quite a few old timers have said the same thing. I drew the line at being called a bitch and being called out for shit i hadn't even done.

I'm glad you're well liked though, I imagine that makes it much easier to tolerate and not notice what's going on. 

take care. 

46 minutes ago, snownut said:

My oldest brother lives very close to you? on Wythe Avenue.  He just had new siding but on his home.  

I was in VA in early January but is was a very fast trip for business. I will reach out on my next visit and meet up for a beer. 

Hope you and your family are doing well!

Wythe is on the east side of town, maybe 2 miles ENE from me. 

Definitely reach out the next time you're in the area!

On 2/14/2019 at 7:29 AM, LeesburgWx said:

A couple days ago, @Bob Chill was saying we may go 1 for 3 or 2 for 3 on the upcoming events. It looks like we might go 0 for 3 now...

You sure about that Clark?

On 2/14/2019 at 7:30 AM, Mdecoy said:

Hoffman and Chill are amazing. Sadly all they have been tracking is a pattern that will never become reality.

Actually, in reality I basically only track snow. Unlike you who tracks despair and miserable company. IDGAF about a good pattern of blue skies but I do care about a flawed pattern that delivers winter wx. Which is more than 50% of all our events. Since the majority of people here seem to despise anything other than a perfect huge event it makes sense to take a step back and let the majority have their fun. I'm sure you love the way this sub has changed over the years though. 

On 2/14/2019 at 7:32 AM, C.A.P.E. said:

He would still be in Deb mode if not for that 12"+ his yard lucked into.

Sorry Bob.

:hurrbear:

No Deb here. I haven't changed my mind that I think we're getting more snow this year. I'd way more surprised if we didn't. The thing is I really haven't been having much fun being here lately so it made more sense to step away from reading posts that make me want to poke peoples' eyes out with paperclips heated up with a bic lighter. I'm not that kind of person in any way shape or form so the only smart thing to do was my own thing on my own time. 

On 2/14/2019 at 2:44 PM, Ji said:

I feel bad for @Bobchill. He really thought this period would produce multiple events. And now he left the board for probably a week. He puts alot into the hobby

Don't feel bad for me. I actually enjoy my life everyday and am pretty much a happy satisfied person on all levels. How about you?

On 2/14/2019 at 5:30 PM, Ji said:

the virtual kidnapping of @Bob Chill has been sad today. We could use an optimistic/non realistic post today lol

The only thing optimistic posts are good for around here are targets for deeply unsatisfied people searching for company. There's not a single person in my circle of long term friends in real life who isn't similar to me in some very important ways. The less this group here resembles my circle of friends the less I find myself enjoying it. There's a big difference between prolific posting that includes a blend of good analysis, jokes, complaints and such and prolific posting that's a broken record of useless woe is me drivel that fills pages and pages of the same thing over.and.over.and.over.again. I totally get your posting style and find it very funny. You've been the same Ji for as long as I've seen your posts. But there was a time when you were unique and a bit of an icon/celebrity of sorts. Nowadays wannabe Jis are a dime a dozen. 

Sure, I could start ignoring people but why bother. New people are attracted to that style so the #s keep growing while overall quality keeps declining. I enjoy any and all winter wx events regardless of how they happen. Unless I'm forgetting how EasternWx was (which is possible), the environment here has changed significantly over the last 13 years. I seem to remember the majority of people just enjoying talking about winter wx and appreciating all events. Regardless of whether my memory is right or not, it's clearly not the case here today. There's a small core that still do but finding their posts in a sea of steaming shit is too much work anymore.

The only reason I'm posting this today is because I kept getting notifications of mentions and felt the need to clear the air. I'm not the type of person to just drop off the face of the earth without explanation. For now I'll just read good analysis posts from a select few and post obs when they're worth posting. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

will add another notification to your list @Bob Chill the break was nice. i look forward to going back on break. being able to track and enjoy an event without having to clean up adult messes on an internet forum was pleasant. snow days at home with my kid, workday in my pjs watching snow fall. hell, i got lucky and was home for the squall, set up the camera and time lapsed the whole thing. it was wonderful. 

this place this winter has ruined the fun of tracking and posting together. so many people who dont know shit, pick fights, troll, are combative and in some cases are frankly just assholes for no good reason other than to be an asshole. 

i'm not sure i will be making a snow map for the forum this year. if CWG still wants it, that's fine, I'll get up with Ian. Otherwise, this winter has been pretty terrible in terms of posting and wanting to be apart of this community. hopefully it changes. 

As a historian and teacher I like to be a model of kindness and toleration.  But in this situation, I say off with their their heads, we need a reign of terror, block them all. I've been following one variation or another of this board since the Wright-Weather days (circa 1999-2000).  This year has been the worst I can remember.  

31 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

No Deb here. I haven't changed my mind that I think we're getting more snow this year. I'd way more surprised if we didn't. The thing is I really haven't been having much fun being here lately so it made more sense to step away from reading posts that make me want to poke peoples' eyes out with paperclips heated up with a bic lighter. I'm not that kind of person in any way shape or form so the only smart thing to do was my own thing on my own time. 

I was just playing a bit, making reference to that brief "deb" period you had back in early Jan I think it was, when things looked a little bleak. I know you have been consistent with your thoughts on snow chances, and are optimistic when its warranted. I try to do the same. We likely aren't going to see any "ideal" looks materialize, so it will snow in flawed set ups, or it wont. I think it will though. I have no expectations or bars. I hope to see a warning event or 2 over the next few weeks, but if not I am on to Spring mode and stuff like mosquito larvae eradication. I understand the frustration though. I just try to go with it here, and not let the relatively few detract. I am pretty good about ignoring the dumb crap most of the time. I think lol.

26 minutes ago, mappy said:

will add another notification to your list @Bob Chill the break was nice. i look forward to going back on break. being able to track and enjoy an event without having to clean up adult messes on an internet forum was pleasant. snow days at home with my kid, workday in my pjs watching snow fall. hell, i got lucky and was home for the squall, set up the camera and time lapsed the whole thing. it was wonderful. 

this place this winter has ruined the fun of tracking and posting together. so many people who dont know shit, pick fights, troll, are combative and in some cases are frankly just assholes for no good reason other than to be an asshole. 

i'm not sure i will be making a snow map for the forum this year. if CWG still wants it, that's fine, I'll get up with Ian. Otherwise, this winter has been pretty terrible in terms of posting and wanting to be apart of this community. hopefully it changes. 

I used to think it was a little silly that Ian, Mitch, and Matt stepped away. Now I get it. Wes pretty much stopped posting for the same reason. That's a big loss to our sub. I'm not trying to sound like some elitist or anything. I really like joking around and even pushing the envelope of appropriate humor. The entire tone has changed and it's like weeds in the lawn. Once weeds get established there's no stopping them because they keep multiplying. I found myself constantly changing the wording in my posts this year because I could predict exactly what type of annoying responses would follow. Having to change my posting style made me realize that I shouldn't post as much if at all. Is what it is. I'm not leaving the boards. Just taking a different approach and seeing if the fun comes back. 

• Like 2

The 1/12-13 event left me disappointed, but since then I've tried to enjoy every event as much as I could. We've had several stretches of deep winter, a lot of nice nickel and diming, and for my area, one of the best snow squalls I've ever seen. I'm still waiting for my good storm, but overall this hasn't been a bad winter up my way, and I've seen many worse years than this one. I get that a lot of people are disappointed because of what long range outlooks were saying prior to the season, but I always take them with a grain of salt.... at best they're maybe 55% accurate. Just because the outlooks sounded a lot like what they were saying in fall 2009, doesn't mean we'll have an epic winter. Things can and do go wrong, and so many factors are impossible to predict well in advance with any reliability.

Also, a certain group in this forum is way too emotional, and way too prone to living and dying by every model run or LR ensemble forecast, not to mention being unable to enjoy anything that isn't at least a MECS. I don't know if it's worse than it's ever been before. If it is, then maybe we're too lenient as a forum and should be quicker to 5-post or weenie-tag those who clutter up anything other than the banter or panic threads.

1 hour ago, mappy said:

i'm not the only person who has said this year is rough. quite a few old timers have said the same thing. I drew the line at being called a bitch and being called out for shit i hadn't even done.

I'm glad you're well liked though, I imagine that makes it much easier to tolerate and not notice what's going on. 

take care. 

LOL you obviously don't talk to Howard or RVArookie much

But I am very very sorry that came off the way it did.  It was insensitive.   I didn't mean to minimize the personal attacks you put up with.  That was nasty in a more personal way then the general crap most of us deal with.  Thekind of stuff I get is much easier to just shrug off.  

2 hours ago, mappy said:

take care. 

well i am not well liked but it dosent matter...there is really no where else to post about snowstorms with people who love snow like we do...and its just the internet. I am sure we would all get along fine in person.....its easy to say what you think on the internet

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

I used to think it was a little silly that Ian, Mitch, and Matt stepped away. Now I get it. Wes pretty much stopped posting for the same reason. That's a big loss to our sub. I'm not trying to sound like some elitist or anything. I really like joking around and even pushing the envelope of appropriate humor. The entire tone has changed and it's like weeds in the lawn. Once weeds get established there's no stopping them because they keep multiplying. I found myself constantly changing the wording in my posts this year because I could predict exactly what type of annoying responses would follow. Having to change my posting style made me realize that I shouldn't post as much if at all. Is what it is. I'm not leaving the boards. Just taking a different approach and seeing if the fun comes back. 

you dont have a twitter account though so your basically screwed if you want to talk snow with weenies if you leave the board:)

55 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Nah I think very highly of you. Always enjoy reading your posts and have learned so much. Sometimes you can come off little rough/arrogant to folks and guess kind of rubbed me wrong way, but’s its all good. Thanks for all you do!

9 minutes ago, Rvarookie said:

Nah I think very highly of you. Always enjoy reading your posts and have learned so much. Sometimes you can come off little rough/arrogant to folks and guess kind of rubbed me wrong way, but’s its all good. Thanks for all you do!

Lol it’s ok I am a dick!  I am argumentative and a smartass. I’m not actually arrogant. There is still a lot I don’t know and probably never will.  But I think my snark and combative argumentative nature comes off that way. 

But hey I’m an eagles fan from jersey. What do you expect. 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Ji said:

well i am not well liked but it dosent matter...there is really no where else to post about snowstorms with people who love snow like we do...and its just the internet. I am sure we would all get along fine in person.....its easy to say what you think on the internet

I occasionally post in some Facebook groups but they’re mostly 40N. For people in this region, there’s no place like here, except maybe Twitter where I’m not active.

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

i hope it works out in your favor. i love this place, but its pretty depressing to post here these days. hence me stepping away. 

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

But I am very very sorry that came off the way it did.  It was insensitive.   I didn't mean to minimize the personal attacks you put up with.  That was nasty in a more personal way then the general crap most of us deal with.  Thekind of stuff I get is much easier to just shrug off.  

i dont need to talk to them, i see it. you said it yourself, you are combative in nature, so it rubs people wrong and they snip at you. i get it, i deal with it too. i guess tho me being a woman means its okay to call me names and such instead of just... you know, debating me over something. whatever. glad its easy for you. 

41 minutes ago, Ji said:

youre just annoying when you get into your "everything sucks, i need lots of snow" character. otherwise, you know your shit. but this persona you have created for yourself here leaves very little to be desired. i enjoy your twitter though, and i imagine your facebook page is full of great insight. you just sorta suck here. 

18 minutes ago, mappy said:

i hope it works out in your favor. i love this place, but its pretty depressing to post here these days. hence me stepping away. 

i dont need to talk to them, i see it. you said it yourself, you are combative in nature, so it rubs people wrong and they snip at you. i get it, i deal with it too. i guess tho me being a woman means its okay to call me names and such instead of just... you know, debating me over something. whatever. glad its easy for you. 

youre just annoying when you get into your "everything sucks, i need lots of snow" character. otherwise, you know your shit. but this persona you have created for yourself here leaves very little to be desired. i enjoy your twitter though, and i imagine your facebook page is full of great insight. you just sorta suck here. 

It’s not ok. That’s why they were banned and should have been banned sooner imo.  But yea there are still sexist idiots who think pointing out your female in not subtle ways is a legit insult. Just like there are still racists and homophobes. Being a straight white male means I don’t have to deal with any of that and when I get crap it’s isually my own fault and that’s not fair. But it doesn’t mean I don’t see it or that it doesn’t irk me. But I can’t possibly know what it’s like for you. All I can do is say it’s wrong that you have to deal with it and that I support removing that from the board. 

11 minutes ago, nj2va said:

I wonder if talking about how depressing this place is actually feeds into the “depressing” nature of the forum? I’m not calling anyone out but it probably adds to the overall mood talking about it. 

I don't think it's depressing. It's annoying. People aren't here for the fun of the science anymore as much as looking for a dumpster to unload their displeasure or satisfaction deficit with basically everything. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

It’s not ok. That’s why they were banned and should have been banned sooner imo.  But yea there are still sexist idiots who think pointing out your female in not subtle ways is a legit insult. Just like there are still racists and homophobes. Being a straight white male means I don’t have to deal with any of that and when I get crap it’s isually my own fault and that’s not fair. But it doesn’t mean I don’t see it or that it doesn’t irk me. But I can’t possibly know what it’s like for you. All I can do is say it’s wrong that you have to deal with it and that I support removing that from the board. 

You’re good man. Wasn’t trying to diminish what you said. I’m just in a different place based on my experiences here. Keep being you. 

looks like i snagged some blanton's just in time.  that is one pain in the arse bourbon to find.  it comes in and is literally off the shelves that day.  it is a pretty outstanding bourbon, though.

four roses single barrel...eh, was a little disappointed in that one.

that buffalo trace mash bill is where it's at.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I don't think it's depressing. It's annoying. People aren't here for the fun of the science anymore as much as looking for a dumpster to unload their displeasure or satisfaction deficit with basically everything. 

you ever post on a redskins board or a wizards board?

1 hour ago, mappy said:

You know..i cant really vent on Facebook...my wife has too many friends who like the page that would report me to her lol...On Twitter--you will get ignored if you act like an ass and again i have alot of people that follow from church,etc

here....i i just need a place to vent.....ive learned so much from this place but I need to release all pent up energy from weather dissapointments that i cant do on Twitter or Facebook. Plus our area sucks for snow which dosent help. YOu are actually one of my favorite posters

• Like 1

I want to shake the hand of whichever programmer had the FV3 accumulate ZR at 20:1 ratios. Tax money well spent and I’m not even joking.

Is it the FV3’s fault or TTTs? Fixing the snow ratio would solve a lot of the issues that forecasters have with it and the hype it causes. It clearly counts anything close to frozen as snow.

4ac253521c23e06dd0ae6e8dfd257459.jpg