Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February Banter 2019

George BM

55 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

Well come hit some lakes up with me, I can’t seem to find a good fishing partner lol.

I'll meet up with you. Early season at Clopper lake is very good and its right around the corner from both of us. Hydrilla takes over in the summer and sucks to bank cast. April-May is easy though. I can basically guaranty you will catch bass. There are some big boys in that little lake. The DNR did a population study about 8 years ago and electrofished certain areas. Biggest one was over 10lbs but many over 5lbs. Biggest I caught there was just under 6.5lbs. Lots of 2-4 pounders though. The best part about that lake is you can walk every inch of shore. If one area is dead just jump in the car and easily move to a new area without walking for miles. 

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

I'll meet up with you. Early season at Clopper lake is very good and its right around the corner from both of us. Hydrilla takes over in the summer and sucks to bank cast. April-May is easy though. I can basically guaranty you will catch bass. There are some big boys in that little lake. The DNR did a population study about 8 years ago and electrofished certain areas. Biggest one was over 10lbs but many over 5lbs. Biggest I caught there was just under 6.5lbs. Lots of 2-4 pounders though. The best part about that lake is you can walk every inch of shore. If one area is dead just jump in the car and easily move to a new area without walking for miles. 

I’ve wet my line there this winter but the winter bite is impossible there. Only place I’m seeing action is 4 mile run. Can’t wait til the bite turns on there and I will ABSOLURELY take you up on it.

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

Participating in this hobby and this forum is 100% optional. I expect every good looking op, ensemble, or seasonal model to be posted until climo slams the door shut. If someone doesn't like long range model posts then the easiest solution is to 1) don't open this thread and 2) don't look at long range models. 

Beg to offer a 3rd...   3.) Move to San Diego to the land of perpetual boring weather where every day is like the last and the next, and leave this forum to those who really enjoy the best of whatever Mother Nature can muster.  

7 hours ago, MillvilleWx said:

One of the funniest things I ever read on Bill Murray was a story about some dude who was eating at a Wendy's in Boston area. Well, Bill Murray had been in the area that day and according to the dude telling the story, he said he was casually eating his lunch towards the entrance at a table when a man walked by and jacked a few of his fries off the tray before heading into line. Guy said he was like, "Hey!", and Bill Murray turned and looked at him. The guy was stunned, and all Bill Murray said was, "No one is going to believe you." I lost it because that is hands down one of the most Bill Murray things you could imagine. Gotta love him. 

Loved Bill in the early days of the "Not Ready For Prime Time Players" on SNL.  However, his ego got the best of him and earned him the unenviable title of one of the most difficult to work with in Hollywood.  Loved Caddyshack when it came out.  Then read, from multiple sources, about what an arsh he was to work with on the set.  By many accounts the persona Bill portrays during get first half of Snow Day is fairly accurate to the real thing...  I'll take the plain ole slapstick comedy of Tim Conway and Harvey Corman any day of the week and twice on Sunday.  Ditto for Red Skelton in his heyday, but realize the comparison of Bill to the others is apples to oranges (or sour gooseberries).  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SnowGolfBro said:

Dude.  UVA played a very good game.  Duke is super talented and made everything they jacked up from long range.  And we were still in it. Big test on Monday night

to drag this discussion to the right place:

Yeah, I know. Just bummed. We corrected on all the mistakes from when we played Duke as the away team and then Duke pulls off some miracle 3pt shooting tonight. We made Zion look human tonight and it wasn't enough.

We'll see them again though. 

3 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

to drag this discussion to the right place:

Yeah, I know. Just bummed. We corrected on all the mistakes from when we played Duke as the away team and then Duke pulls off some miracle 3pt shooting tonight. We made Zion look human tonight and it wasn't enough.

We'll see them again though. 

Yep. And let’s face it. It’s all about March this year for UVA. They have the best offensive team in Tony Bennet’s tenure.  They need to make a final four (hopefully championship) this year.  And i think they will.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Chillin in my basement blasting RUSH (Hemispheres)...enjoying a Sam Adam's winter lager .:drunk:

2112 up next..

Rush ftmfw!! 

1 hour ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

One of my favorites.

Same. Only saw them live 14 times. Some of my friends say they "only saw them 50 or so times". One of the GOAT bands. Shame Neil retired.

5 hours ago, supernovasky said:

I’ve wet my line there this winter but the winter bite is impossible there. Only place I’m seeing action is 4 mile run. Can’t wait til the bite turns on there and I will ABSOLURELY take you up on it.

I fish 4MR in the winter a bunch.  It does produce decent bass.  Looking forward to warmer weather so I can hit the other lakes/rivers.  FMR is fine but pretty urban — a lot of people and a lot of trash. I would take a run on Clopper.  I tried it once last year.  Didn’t get anything but I didn’t really know where to go on the lake.     My favorite thing to do when the weather gets hot is to wade the various creeks/rivers for smallies.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Oh yea...masters of their instruments are those 3 ...love em man. Neal has severe arthritis I think ..so that's the main reason I believe. Funny story ...a good friend turned me onto Rush at a young age . His baby sitter ( a woman) would put Rush records on all day long and sun bath  ...nothin else ....but .....Rush lol. Man...why can't we all be soo lucky . 

First ever concert was Rush. I was 15 and innocent. About 30 mins in I was high lol.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

First ever concert was Rush. I was 15 and innocent. About 30 mins in I was high lol.

Definitely a rookie at a Rush concert. My old neighbors told stories about heading to Rush concerts stoned taking the bus. They almost got kicked off one day because they got into an argument on the bus and my neighbors friend took off his shoe and threw it at the guy and almost hit the bus driver up front lol

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jaydreb said:

I fish 4MR in the winter a bunch.  It does produce decent bass.  Looking forward to warmer weather so I can hit the other lakes/rivers.  FMR is fine but pretty urban — a lot of people and a lot of trash. I would take a run on Clopper.  I tried it once last year.  Didn’t get anything but I didn’t really know where to go on the lake.     My favorite thing to do when the weather gets hot is to wade the various creeks/rivers for smallies.  

My setup right now is almost entirely bass centric. I have a baitcaster so river waiding with light lures is a little tough for me while I'm learning to use it. Medium to heavy lures in preparation for spring bass fishing is what I'm mainly focused on.

My next setup will probably be a spinner with a light rod for the rivers though, especially given how much trout there seems to be. I've never waded before in my life. It seems like there's a lot of gear for that activity, but it looks super fun.

1 minute ago, leesburg 04 said:

I'm into hillbilly hand fishing myself 

Being serious, Idk how people can do that noodling thing. It's insane how dangerous it is to do that. Apparently it's a big thing in Oklahoma. My co-worker is from there and she actually mentioned her friend at OU grew up in south-central Oklahoma and people would fish and noodle during the summer. I told her that's a special breed of people down in those parts lol

• Haha 2

Just now, MillvilleWx said:

Being serious, Idk how people can do that noodling thing. It's insane how dangerous it is to do that. Apparently it's a big thing in Oklahoma. My co-worker is from there and she actually mentioned her friend at OU grew up in south-central Oklahoma and people would fish and noodle during the summer. I told her that's a special breed of people down in those parts lol

One breed anyway lol

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

My next setup will probably be a spinner with a light rod for the rivers though, especially given how much trout there seems to be. I've never waded before in my life. It seems like there's a lot of gear for that activity, but it looks super fun.

Not really too much gear necessary.  Pretty much any spinning rod will work.  Bring a backpack with a small tackle box of jig heads, stick baits/ned rigs, and inline spinners.  I don’t see much trout in the summer around here.  You have to go further into the mountains for that.  

29 minutes ago, jaydreb said:

Not really too much gear necessary.  Pretty much any spinning rod will work.  Bring a backpack with a small tackle box of jig heads, stick baits/ned rigs, and inline spinners.  I don’t see much trout in the summer around here.  You have to go further into the mountains for that.  

They stock trout here! I'm following the DNR Maryland site and they've already started putting 1-2k trout in streams and will all spring.

11 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

They stock trout here! I'm following the DNR Maryland site and they've already started putting 1-2k trout in streams and will all spring.

Definitely.  I meant that I don’t run into any in July/August where I’m fishing.  By then I think they’re mostly in the cooler mountain waters.  But you’re right that you can get some in the spring.  Good idea.  

26 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Random thought:

Wouldn’t someone who has thrown the towel in on winter and snow chances actually stop checking the board rather than coming around on the regular to keep announcing they have still thrown in the towel?

Where's the fun in giving up and not being able to spread your misery to others? 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, supernovasky said:

My setup right now is almost entirely bass centric. I have a baitcaster so river waiding with light lures is a little tough for me while I'm learning to use it. Medium to heavy lures in preparation for spring bass fishing is what I'm mainly focused on.

If we hit clopper lake I'll bring extra spinning rods. I have too many and they all have nice reels and flouro line (important for fishing clear water here). I have enough lures to outfit an army too. Lol. After decades of fishing around here I've realized that you only need 2 or 3 different lures for all the lakes. They all fish the same. Bass are smart here. They've seen every lure in the bass pro catalogue. However, they simply can't resist stick baits (Senkos) and rubber worms. If I'm not getting bites on those the bass aren't biting. I throw tubes, flukes, and spinnerbaits sometimes but that's it. 

Wading for trout here kinda sucks. The stockers are all pellet fed in the hatcheries. For the first month after stocking they don't even know what to eat. A spinner means nothing to them until they figure out what to eat. By the time they are fully adjusted to living in wild lakes and streams they die off because the water is too warm. I catch stockers every year but not on lures. I use simple berkley powereggs. They look like the pellets they've been fed since birth. Makes sense right?

The best wading in MD is the upper potomac for smallmouth. It can be dangerous when water is high so low water is a must. The best river to wade within a reasonable drive is the Shenandoah. Loaded with smallmouth and very easy to fish. My wife and I do float trips and we catch so many smallmouth we don't even count them. It's a blast. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

If we hit clopper lake I'll bring extra spinning rods. I have too many and they all have nice reels and flouro line (important for fishing clear water here). I have enough lures to outfit an army too. Lol. After decades of fishing around here I've realized that you only need 2 or 3 different lures for all the lakes. They all fish the same. Bass are smart here. They've seen every lure in the bass pro catalogue. However, they simply can't resist stick baits (Senkos) and rubber worms. If I'm not getting bites on those the bass aren't biting. I throw tubes, flukes, and spinnerbaits sometimes but that's it. 

Wading for trout here kinda sucks. The stockers are all pellet fed in the hatcheries. For the first month after stocking they don't even know what to eat. A spinner means nothing to them until they figure out what to eat. By the time they are fully adjusted to living in wild lakes and streams they die off because the water is too warm. I catch stockers every year but not on lures. I use simple berkley powereggs. They look like the pellets they've been fed since birth. Makes sense right?

The best wading in MD is the upper potomac for smallmouth. It can be dangerous when water is high so low water is a must. The best river to wade within a reasonable drive is the Shenandoah. Loaded with smallmouth and very easy to fish. My wife and I do float trips and we catch so many smallmouth we don't even count them. It's a blast. 

I’ve never caught a smallmouth in my life and that seems super fun!

1 minute ago, supernovasky said:

I’ve never caught a smallmouth in my life and that seems super fun!

Pound for pound smallmouth are the hardest pulling freshwater fish in our area. When they are feeding you can catch them left and right. Lots of jumps and runs. My wife is the family record holder. 20.5" and took 15 minutes to get it to the boat. They live in moving water so they are very strong. Largemouth are lazy in generel. They still fight hard when hooked of course but oh man do smallmouth go berserk when hooked.