Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 1, 2019 Clipper Snow

WxUSAF

4 minutes ago, jaydreb said:

That was January 2016, just a few days before the blizzard.  I had to leave my van and seek refuge in a friends house until someone with a jeep could pick up me and my kids.  And even the jeep got into a small fender bender on the way home.  That night convinced me to get snow tires (Blizzaks) on my minivan for the winter.  

Yup, my wife and I left downtown around 6:30 and didn't get home in Arlington until 1:45am. Sat on I-66 for 5 hours before a salt/sand truck could come the wrong way down the interstate and treat the bridge over Lee Highway. Convinced me to either stay home or take metro if snow was in the forecast. Never doing that again...

3 minutes ago, BlizzardNole said:

Oooh I remember that one too -- all eyes were on the blizzard and that little one sacked us from our blind side.

But the event I am thinking of was a number of years ago.  My wife's mom (who spent 7 hours in her car that night) retired in 2008 so it was before then. 

Was it the event shortly after the Springfield Mixing Bowl's grand opening?  I remember lots of cars stuck on the Mixing Bowl's ramps, unable to move, and if I recall VA's governor was stuck there too (it would have been Jim Gilmore at the time).

Really confused what good closing schools early on a day like today accomplishes, with this forecast. If anything, won’t schools be releasing students into worse conditions than they would at regular closing time, considering snow supposed to end by later afternoon at latest?

• Like 4

Just now, real said:

Really confused what good closing schools early on a day like today, with this forecast. If anything, won’t schools be releasing students into worse conditions than they would at regular closing time, considering snow supposed to end by later afternoon at latest?

I was thinking the same thing. What better way to cause chaos than to release into snow covered roads...

Just now, real said:

Really confused what good closing schools early on a day like today accomplishes, with this forecast. If anything, won’t schools be releasing students into worse conditions than they would at regular closing time, considering snow supposed to end by later afternoon at latest?

School systems are the 4th branch of government...they make decisions on their own consistently with seemingly no logic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Not a whole lot going on in Ellicott City.  Light snow, but sticking to everything.

By the way, school closings/delays/early dismissals are rarely made independently.  No county wants to stand alone against public criticism, so it's no accident that all central MD schools started on time today, and no coincidence that they all folded this afternoon.  They all teleconference and come to agreements with neighboring counties.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, real said:

Applaud to Fairfax for making the smarter decision. 

12 minutes ago, jaydreb said:

That was January 2016, just a few days before the blizzard.  I had to leave my van and seek refuge in a friends house until someone with a jeep could pick up me and my kids.  And even the jeep got into a small fender bender on the way home.  That night convinced me to get snow tires (Blizzaks) on my minivan for the winter.  

+1. Best snow tires out there. They make driving in the snow and ice a revelation.

Just now, nj2va said:

Completely agree.  This is the 2nd winter I've had them...what a difference it makes driving in snow/ice with the Bridgestone Blizzaks.  

I have a Honda Fit that I bought 4 dedicated snow tires for so when I go to Canaan I wouldn't have to worry, and wow yeah what a difference.  2WD with snow tires outperforms 4WD without snow tires.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic