Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 1, 2019 Clipper Snow

WxUSAF

29 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

Ok I have limited experience with this. Why are the roads this bad right now? I’ve been here for 3 years and never skidded once, including the sleet bomb. But for this 0.5” pixie dust there are cars in ditches.

0.25 or so gets squished, the water squeezes out, film of slick  ice. Very bad

with an inch there is enough granular left after  the compression so that it’s not a slick  thin film of frozen 

25 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

Ok I have limited experience with this. Why are the roads this bad right now? I’ve been here for 3 years and never skidded once, including the sleet bomb. But for this 0.5” pixie dust there are cars in ditches.

Hey super -- I forget the year but one time we had a quick band of snow move through at evening rush hour with temps in the teens.  It had been very cold for a few days but no prior snow, so there was no chemical residue on roads.  Most places got just a quarter inch, but tire action from cars flash froze it and all roads became sheets of ice.  Salt trucks were helpless because roads were jammed.  The area became paralyzed and people were trapped in their cars for hours -- up to 10 hours or more.  My wife's mom was in her car for 7 hours for her 12 mile drive.  Many people just abandoned their cars and walked off.

I have 0.4 in Germantown.  I just need 0.1 more to get me to a cool 20" for the winter.

1 minute ago, BlizzardNole said:

Hey super -- I forget the year but one time we had a quick band of snow move through at evening rush hour with temps in the teens.  It had been very cold for a few days but no prior snow, so there was no chemical residue on roads.  Most places got just a quarter inch, but tire action from cars flash froze it and all roads became sheets of ice.  Salt trucks were helpless because roads were jammed.  The area became paralyzed and people were trapped in their cars for hours -- up to 10 hours or more.  My wife's mom was in her car for 7 hours for her 12 mile drive.  Many people just abandoned their cars and walked off.

I have 0.4 in Germantown.  I just need 0.1 more to get me to a cool 20" for the winter.

I think I'm an inch behind you. I'm at 0.4" as well right now.

We should hang out sometime with you being so close. You ever go fishing?

Just now, BlizzardNole said:

That was January 2016, just a few days before the blizzard.  I had to leave my van and seek refuge in a friends house until someone with a jeep could pick up me and my kids.  And even the jeep got into a small fender bender on the way home.  That night convinced me to get snow tires (Blizzaks) on my minivan for the winter.  

• Like 2

Just now, jaydreb said:

That was January 2016, just a few days before the blizzard.  I had to leave my van and seek refuge in a friends house until someone with a jeep could pick up me and my kids.  And even the jeep got into a small fender bender on the way home.  That night convinced me to get snow tires (Blizzaks) on my minivan for the winter.  

Oooh I remember that one too -- all eyes were on the blizzard and that little one sacked us from our blind side.

But the event I am thinking of was a number of years ago.  My wife's mom (who spent 7 hours in her car that night) retired in 2008 so it was before then. 

Just now, BlizzardNole said:

Oooh I remember that one too -- all eyes were on the blizzard and that little one sacked us from our blind side.

But the event I am thinking of was a number of years ago.  My wife's mom (who spent 7 hours in her car that night) retired in 2008 so it was before then. 

Hmmm, there was of course Commuteageddon but that was in 2011.  

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic