Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 1, 2019 Clipper Snow

WxUSAF

1 minute ago, LP08 said:

They have really had a rough go of it this year.  November debacle, then the only school to close the Tuesday after the Jan storm.  Now today with just a delay and no reassess like Fairfax did.  Yikes!

Yeah, it was really a no win situation for them. Guidance suggested 2 hrs was the right call. Oh well...

2 minutes ago, Wentzadelphia said:

Man, seems to me all the models have done a piss poor job for your location, even the latest HRRR and 12z NAM seem to be not picking up on the heavier precip near DC etc....

12z 3k NAM initialization is comically bad.

• Like 1

Just now, supernovasky said:

Ok the roads are terrible in Germantown. Borderline undrivable. Saw cars skidding everywhere.

They have the salt trucks out finally.

Yeah. They are a disgrace out here as well. I dont know if salt is gonna do anything. It is 12 degrees here. NWS just upped me to 2-4. Great event.

4 minutes ago, wolfpackwxDC said:

Neighborhood roads in Arlington completely covered. Just watched a FWD car struggle to get up the little hill that is my street. Tough to see ACPS not close at this point as there are much steeper hills in other parts of the county that buses certainly will not be able to navigate, right?

Too late.  Some Kids are already in school.   The delay actually made it worse as the roads were much better two hours ago.  

Just now, jaydreb said:

Too late.  Some Kids are already in school.   The delay actually made it worse as the roads were much better two hours ago.  

Ah, gotcha. New parent here, so I have 4-5 years before I have to deal with this sort of stuff. At least our elementary school is within walking distance!

4 minutes ago, 87storms said:

interested to see how long this goes.  this could produce 2" if we're talking it going until early afternoon. greens are sagging south of my area, but still some decent returns showing up.

Who knows how much will make it over the mountains, but radar shows it's still snowing all the way back to Knoxville, Kentucky. And several counties in the nothern tier of central West Virginia have just been upgraded to WSW from advisories. 

Ok I have limited experience with this. Why are the roads this bad right now? I’ve been here for 3 years and never skidded once, including the sleet bomb. But for this 0.5” pixie dust there are cars in ditches.

Thin layer of icy snow is actually much worse than 6” of snow.  

• Like 1

Ok I have limited experience with this. Why are the roads this bad right now? I’ve been here for 3 years and never skidded once, including the sleet bomb. But for this 0.5” pixie dust there are cars in ditches.

Because A) Roads are frozen after 48 hours of the coldest air of the season. B ) I dont think they had enough salt crews out because they didn't expect this much snow.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, real said:

Who knows how much will make it over the mountains, but radar shows it's still snowing all the way back to Knoxville, Kentucky. And several counties in the nothern tier of central West Virginia have just been upgraded to WSW from advisories. 

yea, i feel like this is a case of just being right in the beeline of a minor system.  they happen here sometimes and i guess this is one of those quirky ones that the models don't pick up very well.

1 minute ago, supernovasky said:

Roads temps are vodka cold and the traditional ice melt that's used on local or municipal roads in Montgomery is usually just rock salt.  The good stuff it typically reserved for interstate roads...our road temps are below 22° in the county so the treatment isn't going to work very well.  A lot of folks forget that brining and rock salt isn't designed necessarily to make roads wet and perfect during the event but rather after the event once the sun comes out.  

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic