Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
1/29-1/30 obs

40/70 Benchmark

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

A little rant, but you would think we could put temperature sensors that can get below -40F at the AWOS sites in northern latitudes. A lot of these sites petered out in the middle of the night after hitting -39F.

It's kind of embarrassing. Not that it hits -40 a lot, but its not THAT rare...it happens. They should have instrumentation that can handle it.

20 minutes ago, dendrite said:

A little rant, but you would think we could put temperature sensors that can get below -40F at the AWOS sites in northern latitudes. A lot of these sites petered out in the middle of the night after hitting -39F.

Totally agree was surfing around and saw that. All PWS stations were reporting with their 200 to 1000 dollar stations

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Totally agree was surfing around and saw that. All PWS stations were reporting with their 200 to 1000 dollar stations

ASOS is fine (INL, BRD, etc), but the FAA AWOS crap is a joke. After -39C they go into hibernation like Ray in the summer. Not all of them stopped reporting though...I see CDD kept going beyond M40. Maybe the others have outdated sensors?

2 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

siiiiick.  Love that stuff. 

Ya got like 2" i'd say, enough for the Town to plow. 

It was fun.  He told me he wasn't that cold, despite being out in in from 3PM until 10:15PM with a 30 minute break.  Whiteout at times

We had 2" at my house, but a bit hard to measure due to the blowing.    Best weather day of the winter.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Eh' you got the dynamics right.  Franklin Co came in a little under NWS forecast (even up at the elevations) but only because of baking powder poor snow growth not lack of QPF.  4.25" of semi-dense here, about 5" up at MPM's place according to my friends up that way.

Finished with 5.1" from 0.47" LE, so didn't reach the 6-10 forecast though close - mostly SN- with a bit of SN.  1st 3"+ event this season with ratio over 10:1, and that rare all-snow storm.  Squall came thru a couple hours after my 9 PM obs on 1/30, so that 0.4" is recorded in 1/31.  Month finishes with 33", 160% of my Jan average.