Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
1/29-1/30 obs

40/70 Benchmark

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

This is some good snow growth... sh*t really sparkles in the light, ha.

Nice band congealing over the Spine and 25-30dbz with these flakes is probably 1"/hr.

Of course, J.Spin is in the middle of it where the Interstate crosses the county line.

bIyWTYG.gif

It was pounding while I was out shoveling the driveway. 5.5” when I started around 8:30. Really light, fluffy powder. Still coming down at a good rate. 

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Wow, that's a brutal break. I remember there was an elevation event in Feb '92 in ORH...not a huge deal, but towns like Paxton, Holden and the NW side of ORH had 2" of paste and we had nothing about 2 miles away an 200 feet lower. I remember seeing cars covered driving past as we waited for the bus for school. I was really bummed when I figured out where they were coming from.

Pretty abrupt transition driving up too... rain and slush at Stop & Shop but go half a mile up to Walmart and there's an inch.

Just now, Thunderblizzard said:

Pretty abrupt transition driving up too... rain and slush at Stop & Shop but go half a mile up to Walmart and there's an inch.

Yeah it sounds like it was prob the fact they were NW of you more than any elevation difference given the abrupt nature of the line...they were just NW of the warm layer for a while while you were under it. Though an extra 80-100 feet certainly didn't hurt.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah it sounds like it was prob the fact they were NW of you more than any elevation difference given the abrupt nature of the line...they were just NW of the warm layer for a while while you were under it. Though an extra 80-100 feet certainly didn't hurt.

Even the weenie spots in Wolcott at 1,000 feet went to rain. They were right in the heart of that warm layer. 

Just now, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Why would Tolland have flipped to rain this late in the game when others are flipping back to snow? 

It's a brief incursion of the warm layer just ahead of the low...the low looks like the sfc going over SE CT right now...so the 925 low is prob just a bit NW of that and it's tickling Kevin with the warm layer.

• Thanks 2