Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
1/29-1/30 obs

40/70 Benchmark

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Low is going right over S CT right now....KHFD due north wind, KHVN at 140, KMMK, 150, KIJD is at 050 direction

Yup - not surprised as that boundary set up in that very area this afternoon. Low just rode right along that front.

Meanwhile 29F and freezing rain here lol

2 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Yup - not surprised as that boundary set up in that very area this afternoon. Low just rode right along that front.

Meanwhile 29F and freezing rain here lol

Ha...you must be in one of the few spots that will see ZR in this event at all....though the valley is prob perfect location....still getting a bit of northerly sfc drain down the river valley but just aloft at like 925 you crept above 0C.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Ha...you must be in one of the few spots that will see ZR in this event at all....though the valley is prob perfect location....still getting a bit of northerly sfc drain down the river valley but just aloft at like 925 you crept above 0C.

Yup. 

Probably like +1 at 950 or so and the surface is cooling with northerly drain. Down from 33F to 29F now. 

Just under 2.5" here. 

Don't get me wrong, great to be getting accumulating snow, just a little frustrating to spend a few hours under 25-30dbz of baking powder.  The good snow growth lasts for a few minutes and goes back to marginal flakes.  I wonder if MPM's place is doing better with elevation?  I'll take a ride up tomorrow and measure for him.

Just now, CT Rain said:

Yup. 

Probably like +1 at 950 or so and the surface is cooling with northerly drain. Down from 33F to 29F now. 

Wonder if you flip back to a burst of snow before ending...that warm layer is probably pretty thin and it's likely gonna get shunted east soon. Sucks that we can't really follow it on CC that far away from the two radars with the warm layer both thin and below the beam.

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Kind of looks like Hunchie got Boxing Dayed.....low level CF forcing to the east, and best mid level lift to the west.

Exactly what I was thinking walking the dogs a few minutes ago.  Reminds me of that snow.  Luckily it has come down heavy enough to give us over 2" so far but the potential for double that was there with better snow growth.

The models definitely showed a screw zone of sorts over N ORH Co and parts of NH.

3 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Exactly what I was thinking walking the dogs a few minutes ago.  Reminds me of that snow.  Luckily it has come down heavy enough to give us over 2" so far but the potential for double that was there with better snow growth.

The models definitely showed a screw zone of sorts over N ORH Co and parts of NH.

I think the models had the low level front too far northwest and so maybe they were focusing the lift there too....a lot of runs were really dryslotting from Ginxy's hood up toward Ray all through the 495 belt of MA but they seem to be getting better snows than west and northwest of ORH right now. I guess we'll see if it evolves the next couple hours, but it might be that NW of the CF along 495 ends up doing better than the models had (a lot of models had like 2 inches in that belt).