Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
1/29-1/30 obs

40/70 Benchmark

19 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Its like Im stalking you.  Seems every time I go to post an ob you have just done so...

11.9F  Light snow,  snow growth getting a bit better.  Eyeballing perhaps 1/2" down.   Wonder if tomorrow afternoon if we get some nice squalls?  Wish I lived in Chicago or Minn/St Paul for a day.  Can't fathom -25F readings.  Going to make some big headlines affecting a large metro like Chicago.  Wonder if your chickens could survive 36 hours of that type of cold.  Anyhow off topic.

They'd survive if protected from the wind and given proper ventilation. Plenty of people have chickens up there where they have -40F to -50F nights. The key is to have cold hardy breeds. My leghorn would probably struggle in that, but she does decently well at our location.

I lived in Minny for a year and had -27F on one morning in Jan 2000. I wish I was there for the 96 cold shot.

Anyway...13.3F and moderate snow now with a little better growth.

7 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Good burst of 30 dbz rates, SN, 1.0" down, 12°F

You had a little weenie band of snow there extending down to the coast. I assume a little coastal front moisture convergence or something? Once the main shield moved in it really blossomed with the additional seeding.

5 minutes ago, dendrite said:

You had a little weenie band of snow there extending down to the coast. I assume a little coastal front moisture convergence or something? Once the main shield moved in it really blossomed with the additional seeding.

Yeah, We had a ribbon moving to the NW from the GOM thru here that looked to enhance the rates some as the band from the SW was moving in, So yeah, An area of convergence.

14 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

I can remember you complaining profusely about how you hate morch snow(morch isn’t a winter month as you like to say), cuz it’s gone the same/next day. 

But you love December snow(cuz December is so much more of a winter month in your opinion). 

No. I welcome snow any month. I would much prefer it in winter months of Nov- Feb.. as Morch/ Napril are basically stat padder months after early Morch . But never have I ever said I hate spring snows 

Snowy evening.  This snow growth is nuts.  Going to maximize the light QPF for sure.

20-22" or so on the ground (there's like a 6 inch glacial icepack under even the shoveled snow) and now with a fluffy topping.  Two different exposures, but that powder snow growth...

NHCaxMO.jpg

Some of this is left-over from the second half of the last squall event.  We haven't had that much from this period of snow yet, but the fluff quality is nuts.

V7igWUW.jpg

• Like 1