Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Dayton microscale lee side low/ revenge of the strat storm

Holston_River_Rambler

Just now, Holston_River_Rambler said:

The first one was deleted, but we earned this. Sorry for those who missed out, but after using nearly a month of my time chasing this one, I want a storm thread. 

Peppering down near downtown Knoxville. half an inch to an inch. 

Awesome for you guys!!  Local mets are sticking with a changeover here and 1-3 inches, but I just don't see it.  It appears there is a downslope element just looking at the obs.  Carvers has huge flakes in Kingsport, but from north Johnson City to my office (in Erwin) the temps were 37-39 and plain rain.

• Sad 1

It's a very similar sight here too. The snow has been falling steadily for a fair amount of time now. I slept through 2 hours of an alarm going off. How, I don't know but I am pretty happy regardless. I rode the train off the rails and wouldn't you believe it survived. Accumulation on my tile is 1.2" and 1.8" in the grass.

offtherailswego.gif I believe it's time for a looong overdue Jeb Walk!

IMG_20190129_093701.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I’m happy to see so many getting a good snow today, hopefully that continues on through the morning.  Also-You guys can put the blame on me about losing the other thread, that was my fault and I apologize.  It was an accident so hopefully the AMWX admins can help me get it back to our forum thread so we can have it to look back on and have it for future references.  Hope everyone has a blast in the snow today.

• Like 10

Current NAO, positive.

Current PNA, slightly positive.

Current AO, negative. 

500 mb pattern over NA:

giphy.gif 

Surface map:

giphy.gif 

Current MJO: Phase 6, with an amplitude of ~2.

Infrared satellite of storm: 

giphy.gif 

Radar of storm:

giphy.gif 

Will post visible satellite imagery of the snow when it become available. 

2019-01-29_20-25-48.png

• Like 5

2.1 inches as the last band slid through. Unofficially 3 inches in the grass. I wont put that as final for obvious reasons and I'm sure a little more will come from snowshowers in the following days. I remembered saying 1" was victory quota and 2" was what I really hoped for. Success! This event also puts the seasonal snowfall into the double digits.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Runman292 said:

At least you saw flakes. I saw zero flakes. I have to look at pictures to see snow...

There were a few around 2-4 am. I'm surprised you didn't get at least a few. It was literally only flurries through. Otherwise this has mostly been the winter of mud here and that looks to only get worse over the next 2 weeks. Unfortunately, this just isn't the winter for our area and it's basically the worst multi-year stretch in at least 90 years here and very likely way longer than that.  That said, I'm going to do what I did in December and take some time away from weather/models etc. They are essentially pointless beyond 48 hours this year anyway. May or may not dive back in this winter, if I do it will more than likely be to report totals rather than track another storm that would likely fizzle to nothing 72 hours out.

Just now, John1122 said:

There were a few around 2-4 am. I'm surprised you didn't get at least a few. It was literally only flurries through. Otherwise this has mostly been the winter of mud here and that looks to only get worse over the next 2 weeks. Unfortunately, this just isn't the winter for our area and it's basically the worst multi-year stretch in at least 90 years here and very likely way longer than that.  That said, I'm going to do what I did in December and take some time away from weather/models etc. They are essentially pointless beyond 48 hours this year anyway. May or may not dive back in this winter, if I do it will more than likely be to report totals rather than track another storm that would likely fizzle to nothing 72 hours out.

I don't blame you. I might be doing the same. Just come on here to report snow amounts if I get some. I've caught the cliffdiver-itis, and I dont know if I can stand following another storm only to see it do nothing noteworthy.

First I want to say sorry to Runman and John. I hope y'all get clobbered later this year. You've earned it. 

I had to follow this one to the bitter end. I randomly decided to try and chase that band we are talking about in the other thread. Possibly the one of the best decisions of my life. One of the most beautiful late winter evenings I've ever seen.

Deer watching me on a hillside:

Time lapse of the banded clouds :

• Like 3