• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York

I miss the old days when i had no idea weather models existed..

You wanted to know the weather just look out the window lol

Or waiting till 3 am to watch the "local on the 8's" update,,

Watching paul kocin hoping he would put me in the "pink", brighter the better haha

Good ole days..When weather was fun..

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

I miss the old days when i had no idea weather models existed..

You wanted to know the weather just look out the window lol

Or waiting till 3 am to watch the "local on the 8's" update,,

Watching paul kocin hoping he would put me in the "pink", brighter the better haha

Good ole days..When weather was fun..

I agree with this so much.  Imagine how exciting it was when you woke up and literally had no clue if a blizzard was going to hit or it would be a sunny day.  Whether a warm sunny day would evolve into a terrifying severe outbreak or just some afternoon garden variety storms.  I mean it sounds dangerous, but also wildly exciting.  We know the minute snow will start and the minute it will end.  It's pretty damn boring to be honest.  I remember watching the weather channel for hours in the early 90's just praying I could catch a glimpse of the radar (and they were pretty crappy radars at that).  Now it's right in my pocket. So much has happened in 30 years, its mind boggling.  

• Like 5

The premise for the NWS forecast was the "potential" for wrap around moisture with the developing coastal as well as lake enhancement and or lake effect, not from the primary ..They made that abundantly clear lol

The forecast for the primary was 3"-7"/4"-8" for the majority of oswego county.. 

With that being said that was still to high lol

54 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

I agree with this so much.  Imagine how exciting it was when you woke up and literally had no clue if a blizzard was going to hit or it would be a sunny day.  Whether a warm sunny day would evolve into a terrifying severe outbreak or just some afternoon garden variety storms.  I mean it sounds dangerous, but also wildly exciting.  We know the minute snow will start and the minute it will end.  It's pretty damn boring to be honest.  I remember watching the weather channel for hours in the early 90's just praying I could catch a glimpse of the radar (and they were pretty crappy radars at that).  Now it's right in my pocket. So much has happened in 30 years, its mind boggling.  

That was me as an 8 year old kid for the Jan 1995 lake effect event in Buffalo. Remember going to sleep and waking up with 3' of snow on the ground and jumping off my 2nd floor house into a giant snow bank. 

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

This storm was always BS. You cant get a good storm with a track like that. The amounts BUF posted were ridiculous. 

I have tried to defend them this winter, but I'm sorry this was one of the worst calls I've seen in awhile. It was blatantly obvious this was not going to be a big snowstorm/icestorm. 

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I have tried to defend them this winter, but I'm sorry this was one of the worst calls I've seen in awhile. It was blatantly obvious this was not going to be a big snowstorm/icestorm. 

It's just my personal opinion but I think they are basically pressured into going higher with amounts after they  missed that blizzard which caused that huge accident on the 90 that at least 1 died in

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Vicarious said:

It's just my personal opinion but I think they are basically pressured into going higher with amounts after they  missed that blizzard which caused that huge accident on the 90 that at least 1 died in

I've wondered the same...from a CNY standpoint, if they went with rigid compliance to "criteria" and put up a WWA for 3-5" and some sleet...the public reaction would be muted...and you'd still have atrocious road and travel conditions. It's nuanced and I'd guess they won't overtly admit it.  Can't say I'd disagree with the intent...if that's the case. Of course us weenies would object.  ;)

13 minutes ago, Vicarious said:

Better to be safe then sorry. The wind and snow on the back end should hit adv criteria. 

NEW YORK

...Erie County...
   1 NW Williamsville     1.3   915 AM  2/12  NWS Employee
   Buffalo Airport        1.1  1200 PM  2/12  NWS Office

...Livingston County...
   Lima                   3.0  1000 AM  2/12  Snowfall from 6-10 AM.

...Monroe County...
   2 SE Irondequoit       6.0   103 PM  2/12  Social Media
   4 SSE Pittsford        3.4  1055 AM  2/12  CoCoRaHS
   Rochester Airport      2.9  1254 PM  2/12  ASOS
   2 N Greece             2.8  1145 AM  2/12  Trained Spotter

...Niagara County...
   1 NNE North Tonawand   1.6  1030 AM  2/12  CoCoRaHS
   3 NE Lewiston          1.0   855 AM  2/12  Public

...Oswego County...
   3 SSW Redfield         2.0   221 PM  2/12  Trained Spotter

...Wayne County...
   2 SW Walworth          5.2  1200 PM  2/12  CoCoRaHS

2 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Yeah. I remember you chiming in yesterday not optimistic with that track. It was a stunningly bad snowfall map. The low end map didn’t even verify in many places. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

NEW YORK

...Erie County...
   1 NW Williamsville     1.3   915 AM  2/12  NWS Employee
   Buffalo Airport        1.1  1200 PM  2/12  NWS Office

...Livingston County...
   Lima                   3.0  1000 AM  2/12  Snowfall from 6-10 AM.

...Monroe County...
   2 SE Irondequoit       6.0   103 PM  2/12  Social Media
   4 SSE Pittsford        3.4  1055 AM  2/12  CoCoRaHS
   Rochester Airport      2.9  1254 PM  2/12  ASOS
   2 N Greece             2.8  1145 AM  2/12  Trained Spotter

...Niagara County...
   1 NNE North Tonawand   1.6  1030 AM  2/12  CoCoRaHS
   3 NE Lewiston          1.0   855 AM  2/12  Public

...Oswego County...
   3 SSW Redfield         2.0   221 PM  2/12  Trained Spotter

...Wayne County...
   2 SW Walworth          5.2  1200 PM  2/12  CoCoRaHS

That 6” in Irondequoit is BS. They pulled it from Twitter. I live there and we barely cleared 3”

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Better to be safe then sorry. The wind and snow on the back end should hit adv criteria. 

I completely agree. There are a lot of people not from the area traveling on the 90 that aren't prepared to deal with the weather or aren't used to driving in bad conditions.