• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York

1 minute ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Anyone know highest recorded depth in NYS is? I'd assume Whiteface mountain/Mount Marcy. 

You're probably right but it could also be in the Catskills.  I've heard rumors of some impressive snow depths after a string of Nor' Easters down that way.  Hopefully we can track down this stat.  

lol

Tamarack, California, also holds the United States record for greatest snow depth ever measured. A maximum snow depth of 451 inches, or 37.5 feet, was recorded on March 11, 1911. The record monthly snowfall in January of that year helped contribute to the record depth.

Burt researched locations outside the United States and found that an even greater snow depth of 465.4 inches was measured Feb. 14, 1927, on Mount Ibuki in Japan (Honshu Island).

Just now, BuffaloWeather said:

lol

Tamarack, California, also holds the United States record for greatest snow depth ever measured. A maximum snow depth of 451 inches, or 37.5 feet, was recorded on March 11, 1911. The record monthly snowfall in January of that year helped contribute to the record depth.

Burt researched locations outside the United States and found that an even greater snow depth of 465.4 inches was measured Feb. 14, 1927, on Mount Ibuki in Japan (Honshu Island).

I think Japan is probably the snowiest place on the planet.  They have an incredibly ideal setup to get ocean effect snow for virtually weeks on end with incredible elevation to boot.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, CNY-LES FREAK said:

if you're at 126" for the season Wolf then we down here haven't even broke 100" yet which is just sad!

82 inches here so far. Funny this I’ve recorded at least a trace of snow for the last 9 days and it’s amounted to 10.6 inches, half of which (5.7 inches) fell on 2/13.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I love chasers like that. As long as they are not getting in the way of emergency vehicles I am all for it. Those videos inside the eye wall are some of the most incredible videos on the internet. I do agrees, its better to attach a few cameras to concrete objects that won't blow away and coming back and getting the video. But I would love to be in the middle of a 100 MPH gusts. I'm an adrenaline junkie, sky dived and bungee jumped. We're all going to end up in the same place eventually, mine as well go out with a bang instead of dying a slow death by cancer in a hospital. That's my biggest fear on this planet. 

It's not for everybody, and definitely not for me, but I respect the honesty. I get more annoyed when thrillseekers pretend that they're doing storm chasing for science or whatever. In some cases, the videos can be useful for storm analysis. Morgerman spends big for travel and for equipment. Undoubtedly he gathers data that can't be obtained elsewhere and there is no way that selling his videos comes close to making that money back - he reminds me a bit of Richard Dreyfuss' character Hooper in Jaws, who owns his own damn scientific research vessel because he has $$$. But fundamentally people are doing it for the thrills, and it takes a lot of ego to say otherwise (and Morgerman, who without met training claims to "reanalyze" historic storms, always to lower them below the level of storms he has personally experienced, does not lack for ego).

6 minutes ago, WNash said:

It's not for everybody, and definitely not for me, but I respect the honesty. I get more annoyed when thrillseekers pretend that they're doing storm chasing for science or whatever. In some cases, the videos can be useful for storm analysis. Morgerman spends big for travel and for equipment. Undoubtedly he gathers data that can't be obtained elsewhere and there is no way that selling his videos comes close to making that money back - he reminds me a bit of Richard Dreyfuss' character Hooper in Jaws, who owns his own damn scientific research vessel because he has $$$. But fundamentally people are doing it for the thrills, and it takes a lot of ego to say otherwise (and Morgerman, who without met training claims to "reanalyze" historic storms, always to lower them below the level of storms he has personally experienced, does not lack for ego).

Had a guy in my Met class who rented a car for Hurricane Andrew. Basically told a story where he almost lost his life...amazing story though.

23 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

I think Japan is probably the snowiest place on the planet.  They have an incredibly ideal setup to get ocean effect snow for virtually weeks on end with incredible elevation to boot.  

I would love to go to northern Honshu. They have perfect OES parameters, with prevailing NW flow over a mile deep sea constantly warmed by a current from the south, and orography that has a rise of 1500 meters over 15 miles.

Look at this - Google street view from May 2013 showing a dense snowpack of three feet or so, after months of melt. It looks like a glacier.
image.thumb.png.d42b2731afbb64a5261500b06213fffe.png

• Like 5

1 minute ago, vortmax said:

Had a guy in my Met class who rented a car for Hurricane Andrew. Basically told a story where he almost lost his life...amazing story though.

I can see why professionals would want to experience weather that extreme. Understanding that the stakes are so high probably keeps good mets very, very focused.

1 minute ago, WNash said:

I can see why professionals would want to experience weather that extreme. Understanding that the stakes are so high probably keeps good mets very, very focused.

Getting instruments directly into the path of these storms can help better understand them as well. Getting up into the cloud structures definitely has benefits. Twister is still one of my favorite movies. 

Just now, BuffaloWeather said:

Getting instruments directly into the path of these storms can help better understand them as well. Getting up into the cloud structures definitely has benefits. Twister is still one of my favorite movies. 

That move is awesome. Full of very dated cultural references, the science is pretty dubious and the climactic scene in the barn is just ridiculous, but it is a blast and I'll watch it any time it's on.

• Like 1

Just now, wolfie09 said:

Tim samaras was one of the safest chasers out there and unfortunately still lost his life due to a tornado..

Yep, it's tough to chase the strongest tornadoes. The satellite tornadoes that form in them are literally impossible to predict. You have to be a mile away at least to be safe from those. 

What's funny is I met my next door neighbor yesterday for first time and she's huge into weather. She's going tornado chasing in Oklahoma with a tour company in May. I've yet to find someone besides Devin with the same enthusiasm for weather I have. Got lucky with this neighbor. 

• Like 1