• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

55 minutes ago, tim123 said:

2017 I think estimated wind gusts over 105 in Genesee county. Blowing trains over

Yeah, a double box car blew over in Stafford which was attributed to the winds.  Many local backyard weather stations in that area reported winds between 100-105mph although they can't be verified but I always assumed that gusts were higher than the ROC aiports measurement of 81mph.  There are probably local areas of topography that significantly increase winds on the micro-scale

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

What's fascinating with winds is that Hurricanes have sustained winds at 150-200 mph in the strongest storms. Can you even imagine? We freak out over 60 mph winds. My uncle and aunt live north of Miami and I am just waiting for a big one to hit them so I can book my flight. 

The ego and cowboy mentality of hurricane chasers - even the competent ones like iCyclone - is pretty gross, but those videos from the eyewalls are more frightening than any horror movie. (A separate category of insanity is from the dumbass yokel chasers like the guy who almost drowned in Hurricane Michael last year.)

Residential and commercial construction, flora, etc. are not capable of standing up to sustained hurricane force winds here. Can you imagine how many steep pitched roofs with three foot exposed overhangs would go flying in a 100 knot storm here? You look at a palm tree bent to 60 degrees... imagine that kind of force applied to the maples and honeylocusts and aging oaks here.

• Like 1

In other News.

Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim was behind the wheel of a car that hit a pedestrian on a highway, killing the man, the Onondaga County (New York) District Attorney told WSYR on Thursday.

DA Bill Fitzpatrick told the station that the man was outside his car on Interstate 690 after being involved in another unrelated accident due to bad weather. Boeheim's car struck the man around midnight.

Boeheim, 74, had coached the Orange against Louisville at the Carrier Dome earlier Wednesday night.

Fitzpatrick told the station that Boeheim is cooperating with the investigation. According to the DA, no evidence of alcohol or drugs was detected, and Boeheim was traveling at the proper speed for the highway.

1 hour ago, WNash said:

The ego and cowboy mentality of hurricane chasers - even the competent ones like iCyclone - is pretty gross, but those videos from the eyewalls are more frightening than any horror movie. (A separate category of insanity is from the dumbass yokel chasers like the guy who almost drowned in Hurricane Michael last year.)

Residential and commercial construction, flora, etc. are not capable of standing up to sustained hurricane force winds here. Can you imagine how many steep pitched roofs with three foot exposed overhangs would go flying in a 100 knot storm here? You look at a palm tree bent to 60 degrees... imagine that kind of force applied to the maples and honeylocusts and aging oaks here.

I love chasers like that. As long as they are not getting in the way of emergency vehicles I am all for it. Those videos inside the eye wall are some of the most incredible videos on the internet. I do agrees, its better to attach a few cameras to concrete objects that won't blow away and coming back and getting the video. But I would love to be in the middle of a 100 MPH gusts. I'm an adrenaline junkie, sky dived and bungee jumped. We're all going to end up in the same place eventually, mine as well go out with a bang instead of dying a slow death by cancer in a hospital. That's my biggest fear on this planet. 

• Like 3

There becomes a great
deal of uncertainty Tuesday and into Wednesday with the evolution of
the upper air pattern. While Tuesday may be dry, a passing upper
level shortwave Wednesday may bring additional light snow to the
region. There is still a good deal of timing, and strength of this
next shortwave at this time.

I'm sure this will find a way to keep trending north over the next several days..

Para/cmc and icon all north of the gfs..

0z euro looked farther south giving accumulating snows to the Mid-Atlantic coast..

snku_024h.us_ne.png

HWW gust to 75mph...

HIGH WIND WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY MORNING THROUGH MONDAY
MORNING...

The National Weather Service in Buffalo has issued a High Wind
Watch, which is in effect from Sunday morning through Monday
morning.

* LOCATIONS...Niagara, Orleans, Monroe, Jefferson, Erie,
  Genesee, and Chautauqua counties.

* TIMING...From early Sunday morning through early Monday
  morning.

* WINDS...West 35 to 45 mph with gusts up to 75 mph
  • Like 1

WPC

Flatter flow downstream over central and eastern U.S. next week reduces potential for big storms, but a series of smaller/less predictable systems will progress over the region. This will still favor cold air surges/anomalously cold temps through the n-central U.S. and snow swaths over the northern tier states.

8 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

HWW gust to 75mph...

HIGH WIND WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY MORNING THROUGH MONDAY
MORNING...

The National Weather Service in Buffalo has issued a High Wind
Watch, which is in effect from Sunday morning through Monday
morning.

* LOCATIONS...Niagara, Orleans, Monroe, Jefferson, Erie,
  Genesee, and Chautauqua counties.

* TIMING...From early Sunday morning through early Monday
  morning.

* WINDS...West 35 to 45 mph with gusts up to 75 mph

I think that's the highest gusts I've seen forecasted here. 

5 minutes ago, CNY-LES FREAK said:

Yeah I haven't broke the 90" mark yet, and its not the first and won't be the last, unless I move to ME earlier than anticipated :thumbsup:. By far the best place to be for constant snow and cold throughout the Season, IMO!

Keeweenaw is better IMO. The highest recorded depth is like 112". They're around 60" up there right now, another 1-2 feet next week.