• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

Just now, TugHillMatt said:

Welp, my stint here on the Tug is looking brief. Just got told by my boss I am laid off indefinitely...and not looking good. Financial stress is a huge issue here. :(

Maybe I will get to experience a good LES band before I leave.

Wow, that sucks big time!  I thought the economy is the best ever. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Welp, my stint here on the Tug is looking brief. Just got told by my boss I am laid off indefinitely...and not looking good. Financial stress is a huge issue here. :(

Damn.  Sorry to hear that.

13 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Ugh, sorry to hear that. File for UI benefits today, they're relatively generous in NY. And don't be reluctant to file for SNAP benefits, Medicaid, etc. There are many other useful programs in this state to use when bad luck hits you. It's a huge upside of living in NYS, as opposed to places like the southeast, where you get punished for misfortune.

Also... I don't know your line of work, but jobs in Watertown/Fort Drum and Syracuse both should be in driving distance for you.

Just now, WNash said:

Ugh, sorry to hear that. File for UI benefits today, they're relatively generous in NY. And don't be reluctant to file for SNAP benefits, Medicaid, etc. There are many other useful programs in this state to use when bad luck hits you. It's a huge upside of living in NYS, as opposed to places like the southeast, where you get punished for misfortune.

There's also more jobs down there, unlike the rolling 50 year economic depression. Upstate NY is in...end of OT...

Just now, Syrmax said:

There's also more jobs down there, unlike the rolling 50 year economic depression. Upstate NY is in...end of OT...

You're off topic, I'm trying to be helpful. Unless you're telling Tug and everyone else to move out of the state, which is obviously not useful advice.

3 minutes ago, WNash said:

You're off topic, I'm trying to be helpful. Unless you're telling Tug and everyone else to move out of the state, which is obviously not useful advice.

I didn't start the OT. And was just making a comment not offering advice. But I'll damn sure end it.

Sorry tug. If you want to stay in the state look up civil service jobs. A bunch of my friends are corrections officers. 25 years and done. Full benefits/pension/lots of vacation. The starting pay is around $45k and moved up to 70-75. They work 2 days a week too, I was thinking of switching over lol. There are quite a few state, federal, and county jobs via civil service exams that have great pay and benefits. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Sorry to hear that man.  I've always wondered where the heck people find jobs up on the Tug, I guess this somewhat answer the question.  There aren't many available.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Sorry to hear that man.  I've always wondered where the heck people find jobs up on the Tug, I guess this somewhat answer the question.  There aren't many available.  

A friend of my wife's grew up in Boonville. Her wedding was here, but a number of her friends from back home attended. Ag and dairy are big, along with paper products. One of the people at our table taught high school there and her husband does shorthaul driving.

Shoot Matt. Sorry. Hopefully everything works out. 

It seems, that unless you are in the tourism support industry or public services, the North Country is a tough place to earn. We used to joke that we all needed to buy some beat ass cabin up there and just share it. 

Good luck. You’ve been a fun addition to the forum. I’d hate to see ya go

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

Shoot Matt. Sorry. Hopefully everything works out. 

It seems, that unless you are in the tourism support industry or public services, the North Country is a tough place to earn. We used to joke that we all needed to buy some beat ass cabin up there and just share it. 

Good luck. You’ve been a fun addition to the forum. I’d hate to see ya go

Thanks again, guys.Thanks, Dave. I feel bad, as I feel like I have been whining all winter...which I have been. Lol

Wife and I just talked. She said if we stay in NY we will live in the Southern part of the state. :( She wants to live in Virginia. Beautiful state, but too little winter for me. Maybe we will go back to Michigan...argh, too much to think about.

Pretty much all she wrote with this one....

Nws now has kfzy up to mid 30s tonight and rain..

Wednesday, a blustery day is in store with scattered to numerous
snow showers along with a continued biting wind still gusting into
the 40-50 mph. This will produce some blowing snow conditions, with
blowing and drifting snow east of Lake Ontario. Accumulations will
be fairly manageable for this time period, but the blowing snow may
result continued issues surrounding transportation.   With slow and
steady cold air advection, temperatures won`t change much from the
morning`s lows. This will result in most areas remaining at or below
freezing.

During the afternoon, a lake effect band should be taking shape over
Lake Ontario with a weak upstream connection off of the slushy Lake
Erie.  This should slowly move east toward the entrance to the St
Lawrence river in the afternoon and possibly move into Watertown
toward the end of the day.

Wednesday night, the main feature of interest will be on the
mesoscale with a lake band slowly moving south across the Eastern
Lake Ontario region.  It should end up ESE over Oswego County, but
synoptic moisture will be moving east away from the region with a
corresponding lowering of the boundary layer capping inversion, the
event may not have lasting intensity to carry it through the night.
Will extend the winter storm warning through Wednesday night for
Oswego as the synoptic event transitions to lake effect.