• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York

3 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

I hear ya. Last week, one of the guys going on the trip with us killed himself, which put everything into perspective. I wasn’t great friends with him but some of the others were. As far as I know, we are still going. Suffice to say, I’ll be worrying less about a little rain and focusing on just having a good time with the people around me. 

My trip to Snow Ridge followed some horrible weather (rain followed by extreme cold) and the conditions were surprisingly good. These new parabolic (I’m sooo old) skis do really well on hard pack. Spring skiing can also be great as long as it isn’t actively pouring on you. 

Have fun Delta! Hope it is great!  Upload some pics. 

Geez man, that's awful. Definitely puts our minor grievances in perspective. 

We'll still have fun, just won't crush the slopes like I have envisioned.  Enjoy Vermont!  I'll post some pics when I can.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DeltaT13 said:

Yeah, some hints at redemption for the second half of the week but it's close call still.  The fact that I have to cancel hotel reservations at specific times in order to get refunds will make the next few days of weather watching a bit stressful.  At this point I think I'm just shit canning the Vermont half of the trip.  Cut my losses and save vacation and money.  

When are you leaving?

We are headed to Stowe Thursday morning. Staying through Monday.

I'm holding out hope that the Friday event produces snow up there.

There's no snow depth issues up there so if it wants to be 40F and sunny every day we would gladly take spring skiing conditions.  I just don't want rain then a freeze without snow.

1 hour ago, TugHillMatt said:

Last night, about 4 inches and the band shortened to miss us mostly.  Lol. The LES has SUCKED for the Southern Tug. Got 16 inches during the course of the week, so not a total shut out....but it was literally 4 periods of 4 inch snowfalls.

2 feet on the ground...I bet areas north have 4 to 5.

IMG_20190201_131400.jpg

Par for the course man. No single spot is ever guaranteed big accumulations when it comes to lake effect snow. Some seasons will favor w/wsw flows, others will be w/wnw.  Yet others will spread the wealth. You’re in a great spot over the long term average to get big events. And like you said, not like it’s been a total shutout. 2’ OTG is still big time!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, cny rider said:

When are you leaving?

There's no snow depth issues up there so if it wants to be 40F and sunny every day we would gladly take spring skiing conditions.  I just don't want rain then a freeze without snow.

The 12z operational runs (GFS products) look hopeful for the Thursday/Friday event. Unfortunately, the ensembles look warm. We will see. I would take spring conditions. 

3 hours ago, cny rider said:

When are you leaving?

Leaving Sunday at 5am.  Hoping to ride 4 hours at Whiteface on Sunday afternoon.  Then we stay in Lake Placid until Thursday morning.  Thursday we drive to Stowe/smugglers notch and stay in that area until Sunday.  Plans are in flux.  Hoping the high peaks of vermont can stay all snow with the follow up system.  

• Like 1

On 1/29/2019 at 10:01 AM, rochesterdave said:

This is gonna be epic for BUF. Hi Res pretty much all top out over the city. As usual, sharp cutoffs, but someone’s getting 2 feet easy. 

TUG feels a bit squishy right now. Not sure what voodoo was put on you guys. Upslope should be good for some snow. Probably 12x was Kroc is in for. So count your blessings. 

That’s from Tuesday. It was a good call freak. Oswego  was also ok call. Just north of Oswego Campus did better. And Watertown /far north Tug did better than I thought. 

Whatever. Glad BUF got theirs. 

3 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

That’s from Tuesday. It was a good call freak. Oswego  was also ok call. Just north of Oswego Campus did better. And Watertown /far north Tug did better than I thought. 

Whatever. Glad BUF got theirs. 

How much snow do you have on the ground, Dave?

How about you, Freak?

13 hours ago, AppsRunner said:

What? The campus got a couple inches. Where did you see a foot? 

Campus is West Oswego, Oswego Proper and North got crushed by a tea kettle band that sat in the same place all day, lol.  The gradient of Snow is ridiculous around here, for real!  Cars we're parking in the Marina as there was a snow emergency, just crazy stuff Lake Effect is!

6 hours ago, wolfie09 said:

Probably low for parts of the tug..

Deepest snowpack of the year for me. 

sd1_today.jpg

You see that Blue Circle thats encompassed by green, yeah, that would be Me, Brian and Phoenixwx all in one, lol!  What a horrific yr for snowfall WoW, WTF!  We got a lot of catching up to do thats for sure!  We can do it!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, CNY_WX said:

Forget the models, winter cancel!  Punxsutawney Phil is predicting an early spring!

Music to my ears. I’m about 15-20” short of my seasonal total and I honestly couldn’t care less. Bring on Spring! 

P.S.... I wouldn’t be mad with a nice synoptic crusher in March that hits the whole forum with 12”+ . At this point if it’s not gonna snow big time gimme some warmth! 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Long range looks torchy, negative pna is tough to get cold air with. Good shot someone hits 60 on Monday with sunshine. 

Long range looks anything but torch...goes back to below average by this weekend and signs that mid February the PV is back in. If anything no pattern that sticks. 

• Confused 1

35 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Need to breakdown that SE ridge..

I wish I didn't even look at the euro haha 

Maybe the worse OP run this year lol 

eps_t850a_5d_noram_41-4.thumb.png.8bd288600f3d1aee28423e8ac1da0e5c.png

eps_t2ma_7d_conus_61-3.thumb.png.f0289e96df58bdc0847bb0e75879c4ce.png

Notice how close we are to the baroclinic zone at 850. All we would need is for it to set up a couple hundred miles to the south and we would be in business. We are actually normal to slightly below with 2 meter temperatures which would be around 30 this time of year. 

• Like 1

Storms 2 and 3 are anafrontal nonsense. I guess we could get lucky on one of them. Did I mention how much I hate this winter? Better than 50/50 odds it pours for both of them. Right now, February looks like more of the same- progressive as Hell. Everything just slides along. Pushed by El Niño driving jets. 

• Like 2