• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

21 minutes ago, LakeEffectKing said:

Many times, when a band is moving (in this case it drifted south), the heaviest snows will be located on the edge, where the convergence zone is, opposite of motion with respect to the radar depiction.  (In this case, on the northern 1/3 of the radar returns) sometimes, you will see high reflectivities over your head (800-1200 feet) but the flakes at that level are being drawn into the convergence zone (in this case, just to your north!!)

I had several experiences with that in Oswego, and a couple times chasing through Pulaski/Sandy Creek. 

17 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

While it doesn't look great on radar the northern band is pouring snow. I just drove through it on Borden and visibility was down to about 100' with little wind.

I can confirm this. It’s snowing the heaviest it has probably about 2” an hour and almost a total whiteout. I’m up to 13.6” for the event. 

10 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Moving back in now! What a contrast this morning very defined band...
4a9d46a5aaa279e0e8dc5efc50ddb4b5.jpg

Yep moving northward now. Snow has let up to flurries here. Picked up a bonus 1.6” from that band so am now up to 15.1” for the event. Looks like the band may be picking up a little more juice too so it should be snowing pretty good there when it gets to you. I can see this making it back up to the airport in a few hours. 

29 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

My favorite webcam off the tug in Worth,NY. They always seem to be in the perfect spot and always get pounded. Looks awesome there right now!

98026C3D-698F-473E-A1DD-A46F3BFC0379.jpeg

Yes I've been to Worth many times. If I ever move to the Tug Hill it would be there. If you ask me it is the best location on the tug.

• Like 3

For those downwind of Ontario not really seeing much right now...

Band should lift at least a little northward through the afternoon and evening as winds start to back a bit more. Watertown got pretty unlucky yesterday where and east-west oriented band managed to stay due north of them for a while, and there's a pretty impressive snowfall gradient there by now. I'd have to imagine the band lifts to about Watertown/Carthage this evening before winds become a bit more WNWerly by late this evening. Flow looks fairly well aligned through most of the night and would point towards areas of central/northern Oswego county finally getting some appreciable snows. Inversion heights start to fall overnight so we aren't looking at the 2-4"/hr. in the core of the band right now, but still could see 2"/hr. rates for an extended period of time if the band stays fairly steady state. By Friday afternoon we may see one last swing up north as the band shrinks/weakens and warm air advection moves in. 

Still generally like the idea of about 24-36 from Sandy Creek to Adams Center and about 12-24 anywhere within 5 miles of that, especially in the Tug. 

• Like 2