Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
The Mystical Month of February--Long Range Discussion

Ji

1 minute ago, AfewUniversesBelowNormal said:

FV3 seems to suppress the SE ridge with -PNA. It's trying to compensate for more volatile pattern I think, leaving room for amplification, but it seems to be wrong. 

Wrong?  It hasn’t happened yet.  I think you had the 120min IPA lol

Just now, showmethesnow said:

Eps has been fairly rock solid over the last couple days of runs. Definitely the model to follow at this point in time.

The two features that are becoming more apparent late next week are the strong EPO ridge and the 50/50 low. Both looked much weaker a few days ago. Now they appear to be the big drivers. And working in tandem can be nice for us. We’ve been hunting a -NAO, but the 50/50 works about the same to limit cutters and enhance cold air flow to us.

Looks insanely active starting later this week. Whatever the next frozen precip event for us is, I’d wager it’s messy and not pure snow. But I think we’ll get there.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Eps has been fairly rock solid over the last couple days of runs. Definitely the model to follow at this point in time.

Do you think the GEPS/GEFS and EPS meet in the middle with the trough into the east etc or do you think the EPS has the right idea and it will be an earlier flip? If EPS is right you would expect GEFS/GEPS to start moving in that direction relatively soon...

Just now, WxUSAF said:

The two features that are becoming more apparent late next week are the strong EPO ridge and the 50/50 low. Both looked much weaker a few days ago. Now they appear to be the big drivers. And working in tandem can be nice for us. We’ve been hunting a -NAO, but the 50/50 works about the same to limit cutters and enhance cold air flow to us.

Looks insanely active starting later this week. Whatever the next frozen precip event for us is, I’d wager it’s messy and not pure snow. But I think we’ll get there.

Don't think we are in a bad place at this time. Like seeing the heights getting pumped up  towards the pole and the NAO/50/50 combo. Would like to see that EPO roll over a little giving us a northern based +PNA. Throw that in and I think we have a winner. 

1 minute ago, showmethesnow said:

Don't think we are in a bad place at this time. Like seeing the heights getting pumped up  towards the pole and the NAO/50/50 combo. Would like to see that EPO roll over a little giving us a northern based +PNA. Throw that in and I think we have a winner. 

At least we have the superior global model advertising something close to what we want. I like that. A lot more than the other way around.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MD Snow said:

Do you think the GEPS/GEFS and EPS meet in the middle with the trough into the east etc or do you think the EPS has the right idea and it will be an earlier flip? 

To be honest I am not considering anything the GEFS is throwing out there at this time. Can't speak for the GEPS though because I really don't follow it. Pretty much going with what the EPS is showing at this time and its progression though I am sure there will be some minor tweaking here and there. Think overall it probably has a good handle on the upcoming pattern.

40 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

still dont like how it has a mean SE ridge in D11 and 15. We need to move things east a tiny bit

1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

It looks good on the plot @C.A.P.E. posted.

It does but it’s only about a 48 hour period then the SE ridge flexes a bit again. But as I told @Ji the guidance has had to adjust the pattern to the mjo all season. 90% of the time that’s worked against us. This time that adjustment should shift the trough axis east some imo. 

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

It does but it’s only about a 48 hour period then the SE ridge flexes a bit again. But as I told @Ji the guidance has had to adjust the pattern to the mjo all season. 90% of the time that’s worked against us. This time that adjustment should shift the trough axis east some imo. 

It does but verbatim we would only briefly be looking at normal/slightly above temps then the ridge shifts east again by D15.

1 minute ago, C.A.P.E. said:

It does but verbatim we would only briefly be looking at normal/slightly above temps then the ridge shifts east again by D15.

actualy temps are still below normal per the EPS D11 to D15 per EPS..so maybe we are in the battlezone of alot of precip:)