Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Mystical Month of February--Long Range Discussion

Ji

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

We had almost the complete opposite with the EPO ridge too far west, really a north pac ridge more than an EPO ridge at times.  

Oh yes, part of the reason(s) we had poor snow outcomes and alluded to by others and HM of course.

But, this hits the nail on the head

From HM 

<<

Interestingly, the strong Scandinavian High Novembers with a +MEI tended to have this N Pac High and RNA tendency in February when you subtracted out the Scandinavian Low Novembers with a +MEI. Who remembers this?

>>>>

DzaPaeEWsAAbd8b.png

1 minute ago, losetoa6 said:

Euro actually has been showing a decent Cad setup for days.  Its just been going back and forth with any front end snow ...its always been showing  a fairly stout zrain event I think since Tuesday nights run 

Yes. It's now really drilling down the cold. Gets our area almost into the low 20's at the height of the storm. Want to see this trend continue. 

• Like 5

Just now, C.A.P.E. said:

IMO this is a case when those maps actually do have some worth- when there is a pretty clearly defined threat inside of a week.

Let's hope, here is the comparison.  The tracks look pretty close to what the OP spit out so I would expect similar results.  I think those that are faster with getting precip here have the bigger hits but this is a nice signal.

0zEPS.png

12EPS.png

• Like 3

@C.A.P.E.  perhaps our shared "vision" of long range doom can be put on hold right now.  Not saying we have to call it off completely...but there are some positive signs right now.

The last 24 hours there have been some pretty drastic changes and they start around day 8 honestly.  There has been a trend towards more high latitude ridging in that period.  It faded on the EPS and carried through on the GEFS but either way that trend in day 8-10 could be significant.  Could...maybe...guidance be starting to pick up on this?

ECMF_phase_51m_small.gif.fe25cd4a8ec9d37a50231b3851a85913.gif

But there is a definite move towards shifting the cold east and not just way out at day 15 anymore.  The SE ridge gets flattened and towards the end the GEFS today shifts the TPV down into northern Quebec.  The NAO is only slightly negative but if we get a TPV displacement into Quebec we don't need some super NAO block...that is one of the "other" ways to get it done here.  

Way too far out given the issues with long range this year, but the extreme changes suddenly in some core features long range to me says the guidance could be in flux and just starting to pick up on the changing pacific tropical forcing. 

3 minutes ago, LP08 said:

Let's hope, here is the comparison.  The tracks look pretty close to what the OP spit out so I would expect similar results.  I think those that are faster with getting precip here have the bigger hits but this is a nice signal.

0zEPS.png

12EPS.png

That is a CLASSIC CAD signature on the snowfall mean right there.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, psuhoffman said:

@C.A.P.E.  perhaps our shared "vision" of long range doom can be put on hold right now.  Not saying we have to call it off completely...but there are some positive signs right now.

The last 24 hours there have been some pretty drastic changes and they start around day 8 honestly.  There has been a trend towards more high latitude ridging in that period.  It faded on the EPS and carried through on the GEFS but either way that trend in day 8-10 could be significant.  Could...maybe...guidance be starting to pick up on this?

ECMF_phase_51m_small.gif.fe25cd4a8ec9d37a50231b3851a85913.gif

But there is a definite move towards shifting the cold east and not just way out at day 15 anymore.  The SE ridge gets flattened and towards the end the GEFS today shifts the TPV down into northern Quebec.  The NAO is only slightly negative but if we get a TPV displacement into Quebec we don't need some super NAO block...that is one of the "other" ways to get it done here.  

Way too far out given the issues with long range this year, but the extreme changes suddenly in some core features long range to me says the guidance could be in flux and just starting to pick up on the changing pacific tropical forcing. 

Maybe yesterday's 12z EPS was the "worst" look we get for the upcoming period. The 0z run was better towards D15. Lets see what today's run looks like.

1 minute ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Maybe yesterday's 12z EPS was the "worst" look we get for the upcoming period. The 0z run was better towards D15. Lets see what today's run looks like.

Agreed...I actually think the 0z the weeklies was based on was slightly worse than 12z yesterday.  Maybe not in terms of our region specifically but the 12z had slightly more ridging over the top and that is EVERYTHING here.  If there is just enough poleward ridging to suppress the trough as it moves east some the pattern can work.  But if the NAO and AO go hard core positive and everything consolidates into the TPV up over the pole...its game set match for winter here.  That one feature is the whole game wrt where this goes after next week.  So while 12z yesterday was crap...it was a slight move away from the total cliff the 0z the night before was.  We saw how that run ended on the weeklies lol.  That run was good for causing some mass weenie suicides though!  At least we got some fun out of it.  

8 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

what phase are we right now. that chart is hard to read sometimes? Phase 8?

18 minutes ago, LP08 said:

Thanks for posting the comparison.  I’ve been outside restacking firewood so haven’t had time to look too much into detail at the EPS.  Between a strong signal on the EPS and pretty close guidance across the global at 12z, its hard not to be cautiously optimistic (even if I jumped last night in the Panic room...one too many Tito’s+soda :drunk:).  

As CAPE said, lets hope it holds/improves from here.

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Agreed...I actually think the 0z the weeklies was based on was slightly worse than 12z yesterday.  Maybe not in terms of our region specifically but the 12z had slightly more ridging over the top and that is EVERYTHING here.  If there is just enough poleward ridging to suppress the trough as it moves east some the pattern can work.  But if the NAO and AO go hard core positive and everything consolidates into the TPV up over the pole...its game set match for winter here.  That one feature is the whole game wrt where this goes after next week.  So while 12z yesterday was crap...it was a slight move away from the total cliff the 0z the night before was.  We saw how that run ended on the weeklies lol.  That run was good for causing some mass weenie suicides though!  At least we got some fun out of it.  

Yeah you might be right.  The 12z yesterday run kinda lost any hint of a -NAO though, but overall it was probably a tad better.

7 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Basically on the edge of 7/8...I think its where the bigger black dot is (and where the green line starts which Is the forecast).

so by the time the storm hits wed...we will be in phase 8 lol..which is usually cold and stormy in the east LOL

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Ji said:

so by the time the storm hits wed...we will be in phase 8 lol..which is usually cold and stormy in the east LOL

For the love of GOD....call JB and DO NOT LET HIM UNCANCEL WINTER!!!!  Tie him up or smash his computer if you have too...but please god don't let him uncancel it.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Just now, psuhoffman said:

For the love of GOD....call JB and DO NOT LET HIM UNCANCEL WINTER!!!!  Tie him up or smash his computer if you have too...but please god don't let him uncancel it.  

ive learned that everyone has a long way to go. Earlier we thought that the storm fizziling this saturday and not becoming a 50 50 low might turn the wed storm into rain...weather is gonna do what it wants to...no matter what phase. One thing forecasters should consider is not to change anything for 24-48 hours after bad runs. You dont know if its a hiccup...or trend.....you can literally go from a weenie GFS ensembles run to winter over in 12 hours per modeling and then back to weenie 24 hours later

• Haha 3