Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The Mystical Month of February--Long Range Discussion

Ji

1 hour ago, Ji said:

Euro looks terrible for next week again. Probably the worst overall euro run of the winter

There will probably be some snow/ mix for the N and W areas, but the general set up for the events this week isn't great, esp for the coastal plain. Too much SE ridge. I'll take my rain and wait for the epic period beginning March 1.

1 hour ago, S A Martinez said:

How does Chuck have an account here? Long time lurker and that guy is a troll if I’ve ever seen one. I could say Me and my wife are expecting and he would say that late February is setting our unborn son up for failure due to his extrapolation of the h5 maps. Every single positive post is met with his negative. He doesn’t post otherwise. That is the definition of a troll.

While I'm right there with you it unfortunately looks like he is on-point this time. Honestly even tho he has generally just posted negative one sentence posts about the pattern the entire season cant really say they havent verified about 80% of the time. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, S A Martinez said:

Hoffman, Chill, and many others contribute to this thread in a great way. There is much to be learned from you guys. I’m sure many of us appreciate your guys’s efforts. I just wish that idiots opinion would be at least put in banter. Guys in this sub know way more than him and while I get it’s an open forum he offers nothing. He is the guy that misses the layup and blames the guy that passed him the ball 

Thanks for your positive contributions to the LR weather thread.

12 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

He would still be in Deb mode if not for that 12"+ his yard lucked into.

Sorry Bob.

:hurrbear:

Amazing how poorly some climo sites North of him are doing. 

Might be the worse , ( IF things stay the same snowfall wise ie, not stellar )  for a Nino , even though here we know this as a Nino want to be .  

4 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Not quite as good a look as the GEFS, but the EPS is coming around with the pattern progression. March gonna save us.

eps_z500a_nh_61.thumb.png.9405cc143df24cf6e6e5b3decdd8a8a6.png

You are right about the NAO .   And I think it  is related to a degree to the QBO.  But was going say, never do you see it Build SW into the Davis Straights.  whatever effect we had were from what HM< called blips and or wave breaking

Something to ponder and I guess @psuhoffman ponders this always looking for a lack of effect from the Nino.  I know yesterday Isotherm brought severals ideas and reasons up as to why things are not working together.  Nino / forcing . etc. 

The post  below is an interestring one,  as it looks upon the current - SOI.  Courtesy 33andrain 

IMG_6374.GIF

The highest AAM anomalies are actually on my side of the equator. And I think we can bring this down to what is happening with the current MJO wave caused strong WWB in the Pacific.

IMG_6375.PNG

Most of the recent WWB-associated activity has been occurring within the Southern Hemisphere. This explains the very negative SOI anomalies in the Pacific (because Darwin and Tahiti are both in the SH).

The interesting thing is CFS notes this WWB continuing for a while, a whole month long. This would have continued impacts on extratropical weather down the pipeline. The activity heading out towards the Baja California, also indicates to me, the signs of a strengthening STJ, from the region up to the Eastern CONUS.

It has been interesting not to see this activity, stir up major positive frictional torque activity, but perhaps it is the location, rather than the strength that prompts the +FT. I have some thoughts that are best for another time, but hopefully we see some big responses to quash negative AAM anomalies at 40N. The best way to do this starts with a +FT. Interesting times.

- Zac :) 

4 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Well, if there is any consolation, the Atari-FV3 is a hit.

Seems like it often over models northeastern confluence and wintry weather east of low pressure systems. Not sure it’s look makes sense given the players on the field. This is really what’s taking over for the GFS soon? We’re in trouble. 

• Thanks 1