Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
The Mystical Month of February--Long Range Discussion

Ji

3 minutes ago, Ji said:
14 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:
It is literally noise. It's a mean @ D10+. There is no significant difference comparing it to the previous run.  Ji is shooketh.

Was comparing it to a few night ago

NA looks great to me going back several runs. No the EPS does not have as strong a -NAO look as the GEFS, but it is good enough, and has lower heights where we want it (50-50 region). Plus the ridging out west becomes more favorable. The SE ridge is pesky, but I suspect it will be more suppressed than currently advertised. Try not to micro analyze.

Just now, stormtracker said:

Yeah, it's warmer.  Shame.  But, plot twist...it's 7 days away and get this...it will change like 387 times.

You mean like this weekend when it was D7+ and it was a wound up rainstorm with no hope then morphed into 2 potential snow events? So we shouldn't jump to instant conclusions that we're screwed? Is that what your saying? Don't reply though. Nobody will listen. 

2 hours ago, frd said:

The positve trend the EPS had for snow for the past four days has reversed. 

I don't really think this is exciting , given it is a active 15 day period. But,  maybe the best potential is after Feb 27.  

Certainly the EPS is not as enthusiastic as the GEFS.  I am only using this tool as a guide and not gospel. 

Must be a mixture of events.  As for screwing the mean, I did not look at indivdual members in regards to that.

I know Bob spoke about a mix in the various members, versus all snow in his updates a little while ago.   

Certainly this can, and will change.  

eps_snow_m_neng_61-2.png

People really need to stop looking at the GEFS in this type of pattern where so many mixed systems are possible. It's showing ridiculous snow outputs because it's counting a lot of ice as snow.

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

You mean like this weekend when it was D7+ and it was a wound up rainstorm with no hope then morphed into 2 potential snow events? So we shouldn't jump to instant conclusions that we're screwed? Is that what your saying? Don't reply though. Nobody will listen. 

These threads have become a disaster this winter.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

NA looks great to me going back several runs. No the EPS does not have as strong a -NAO look as the GEFS, but it is good enough, and has lower heights where we want it (50-50 region). Plus the ridging out west becomes more favorable. The SE ridge is pesky, but I suspect it will be more suppressed than currently advertised. Try not to micro analyze.

Was just going to post that. Pretty impressive - anomaly east of 50/50 considering there is no Greenland block.

17 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

People really need to stop looking at the GEFS in this type of pattern where so many mixed systems are possible. It's showing ridiculous snow outputs because it's counting a lot of ice as snow.

Unfortunately with no NAO help and a -PNA, the majority of the time that signals a better snow chance for New England.

Ive actually read them talking about how too strong a negative NAO is not great in their neck of the woods. Being the skier that I am I don’t hate that Vermont looks to be bulls eyed next two weeks but I would be pretty disappointed if not one of these waves break in our favor for mby.

I do like the potential for weds-thurs next week for a thump with decent CAD. But that could very quickly turn rain if the shortwave digs too hard considering there’s no back side blocking in the flow with such a negative pna.

8 minutes ago, Ji said:
10 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:
Life is a sine wave

I dont even know what trend we need anymore now a days. Just a snow trend I guess!

Fast flow and tight spacing = volatility on guidance. We have the current event to get through and then the Friday one. The exact track and precisely where the boundary lies in the wake are yet to be determined, and will have potentially significant impacts on the weekend event, and the ones that follow next week.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Yeah, it's warmer.  Shame.  But, plot twist...it's 7 days away and get this...it will change like 387 times.

28

FYP

hehe

10 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Wonder what's more liky to improve the the snow chance next week: A transient 50/50 from one of the waves, or blocking up top (or is the blocking/no blocking part of it already set in stone?)

Both. They tend to go hand in hand- a ridge up top and a semi-permanent vortex stuck underneath, which tends to produce the desired result here- a cold N/NE feed and favorable storm track.

GEFS remains rock steady with rolling the North American pattern forward. The most important shift is the ridge axis out west. The EPS is stubborn and just starting to build the +PNA at the end of the run but still keeps the conus trough axis in the west. Both the GEFS and GEPS are quicker and are also very similar with their upper level patterns. I think the EPS is going to cave here before long. I've said this before but the PNA tends to oscillate in shorter timescales than than other teleconnections. I strongly believe the PNA and/or EPO are likely to improve (possibly signficantly) inside of 2 weeks. Obviously we have multiple chances over the next 10 days for snowfall so that's pretty sweet. By the time we're done tracking whatever happens with the larger storm next week I think the best North American pattern of the season will be knocking on the door in the mid range. Good times. 

• Like 2