• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Mystical Month of February--Long Range Discussion

Ji

Really strong +AO in the short term here, it's amazing, the strength of this -PNA for the next 14 days. El Nino can probably be declared gone, although it happened not naturally if you look at the subsurface. The Day 15 pattern is skewing toward European-warmth/NorthAmerican-warmth. 

As soon as the Stratosphere went cold, the PV really intensified. 

f48.gif

I wonder if the previous Stratosphere warming (Dec 17-Feb 8) had effects on holding a -NAO:

compday-Pv-Qp-HYy-T1-U.gif

• Confused 1

Everything is on track.  The last 48 hours has been a steady step up in the pattern looks and last night hit the warp speed accelerator.  Gonna get busy in here soon.  

It’s hilarious... the soi tanked yesterday and the mjo reached the threshold of phase 8 and suddenly the guidance adjusts. What’s been amazing is their inability to identify and properly factor in the pacific tropical forcing at range all winter.   It’s as if past day 7-10 the guidance would revert to “what the forcing should look like” given the sst anomalies. 

• Like 1

Just now, psuhoffman said:

Everything is on track.  The last 48 hours has been a steady step up in the pattern looks and last night hit the warp speed accelerator.  Gonna get busy in here soon.  

It’s hilarious... the soi tanked yesterday and the mjo reached the threshold of phase 8 and suddenly the guidance adjusts. What’s been amazing is their inability to identify and properly factor in the pacific tropical forcing at range all winter.   It’s as if past day 7-10 the guidance would revert to “what the forcing should look like” given the sst anomalies. 

With this said why are the ops still just meh in general and even certain guidance continuing the wet not white looks? Lag? Or just ops being ops?

Just now, Ji said:
1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:
Fv3 looks like PD2 lite. People forget that changed to sleet all the way into PA. 

I don't forget. It ruined the storm for me. I bet I got 2 inches of liquid that was sleet. Instead of 46 inches...I only got 28 or something

Ok lol. No one got that much other then really high elevations because to get that much qpf was likely too much WAA and a warm layer was guaranteed. Places that stayed all snow only got about 20-30” also. And our snow lasted longer because of the sleet. In early March I drove down to northern VA from Penn State and the 18” up there was long gone but there was still a glacier on the ground in your area.  

He is going to bust so bad.  He said it’s a bad pattern the next 2 weeks not just for the mid Atlantic but northeast and New England too. Forget the fact the northeast is getting a snow/ice storm NOW. I don’t know where the couple of threats day 7-9 and 11-12 are going to hit. Some runs go south. They could shift north. But there is a limit to how far north. I would say this storm now is kind of the northern bound to where those go if the trough amplified too far west again. I find it extremely unlikely that no one in the east all the way to New England gets no snow the next 2 weeks...even ignoring the snow falling now. Lol

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

He is going to bust so bad.  He said it’s a bad pattern the next 2 weeks not just for the mid Atlantic but northeast and New England too. Forget the fact the northeast is getting a snow/ice storm NOW. I don’t know where the couple of threats day 7-9 and 11-12 are going to hit. Some runs go south. They could shift north. But there is a limit to how far north. I would say this storm now is kind of the northern bound to where those go if the trough amplified too far west again. I find it extremely unlikely that no one in the east will the way to New England gets no snow the next 2 weeks...even ignoring the snow falling now. Lol

Weenie handbook page 62....when JB calls for an avg or below avg winter (I know, rare) we assuredly have a solid winter. When DT cancels winter midseason we go on a epic run of cold and stormy weather.  

21 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

He is going to bust so bad.  He said it’s a bad pattern the next 2 weeks not just for the mid Atlantic but northeast and New England too. Forget the fact the northeast is getting a snow/ice storm NOW. I don’t know where the couple of threats day 7-9 and 11-12 are going to hit. Some runs go south. They could shift north. But there is a limit to how far north. I would say this storm now is kind of the northern bound to where those go if the trough amplified too far west again. I find it extremely unlikely that no one in the east will the way to New England gets no snow the next 2 weeks...even ignoring the snow falling now. Lol

Fascinating to see the continued excellent trends on the EPS . 

Not just a better means,  but the location and orientation of the mean itself. May not mean a thing but I like it , hope it continues.  

The mean on the EPS where the heaviest snows are are to fall are also the same areas where the CFS has the coldest temps , day 10 to 15 and to day 20 as well.

Looking this morning on the CPCNAO ensembles and  there is more hope for a -NAO. Also,  the over night GFS made a move to that as well.   The EPS is the most aggressive I think. 

Love the trend down now with the SOI

This AM 

Daily contribution to SOI calculation -19.02

image.png.bddec32f5b81d805fe88e3590f3feb11.png

OK this is Newark, NJ but there is a need to watch this period regardless 

18 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

He is going to bust so bad.  He said it’s a bad pattern the next 2 weeks not just for the mid Atlantic but northeast and New England too. Forget the fact the northeast is getting a snow/ice storm NOW. I don’t know where the couple of threats day 7-9 and 11-12 are going to hit. Some runs go south. They could shift north. But there is a limit to how far north. I would say this storm now is kind of the northern bound to where those go if the trough amplified too far west again. I find it extremely unlikely that no one in the east all the way to New England gets no snow the next 2 weeks...even ignoring the snow falling now. Lol

Going completely against a day 10 model forecast this winter is probably the best bet you can make..

• Like 3