Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The Mystical Month of February--Long Range Discussion

Ji

11 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

On a side note... My son has made $600 cold cash shoveling this year. He's only 14 and between his summer lawn mows/odd jobs he's pulled in nearly $1,200. He bought a refurbed macbook pro already and still has a box full of cash. He's a great son on all levels. As long as he avoids problems with drugs and alcohol he's going to be very successful in life. 

Thats great to hear. Getting them on the correct path is key. Let them take responsibility too, my son at 14 picked corn at 530 AM at a local farm market during the summer and made decent money. He used it at the time to buy computer parts and assembled his own gaming computer. Picking corn is rather stinky and wet when you do it for 6 hours in a row.  He did enjoy driving the gator. :bike:

1 minute ago, LP08 said:

Still a quite a bit of frozen on Monday.  Maybe for not us lowlanders but the northern crew.

kinda... there is SOME frozen so it's not a total fail but....

washedaway.thumb.png.05257a6bf81882baa439c5f46000c527.png

all this gets washed away by rain immediately after also.   Maybe this is just me, but it kind of ruins the event for me if it ends without anything on the ground.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Euro is a little bit of light mix followed by a big ole cutter rainstorm.  Not as bad as the GFS but the result is the same.  

Ill take the euro.. good dump of snow then ice and rain. Not bad for a transitional week to epic weenie 2nd half pattern

• Like 2

Just now, psuhoffman said:

kinda... there is SOME frozen so it's not a total fail but....

washedaway.thumb.png.05257a6bf81882baa439c5f46000c527.png

all this gets washed away by rain immediately after also.   Maybe this is just me, but it kind of ruins the event for me if it ends without anything on the ground.  

I tried to use my words wisely.  Still a wintery day before the deluge I suppose was my main point.

Just now, Ji said:

Ill take the euro...good dump of snow then ice and rain. Not bad for a transitional week to epic weenie 2nd half pattern

I am totally on board with the long range looks.  I think something good is coming.  But verbatim the euro is 1-3" of snow to a few hours of ice, followed by a CRAP ton of rain...that would immediately wash any trace of frozen off the ground.  Would you really be happy with that?  Really?  Be honest with yourself.  

Just now, psuhoffman said:

I am totally on board with the long range looks.  I think something good is coming.  But verbatim the euro is 1-3" of snow to a few hours of ice, followed by a CRAP ton of rain...that would immediately wash any trace of frozen off the ground.  Would you really be happy with that?  Really?  Be honest with yourself.  

dude i only like snow when its falling...i like seeing it fall.....when its over...im ready to move on. I 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

Yes

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LP08 said:

I tried to use my words wisely.  Still a wintery day before the deluge I suppose was my main point.

Yea... some might appreciate that and who I am to deb on that.  If some are happy to get a little taste of winter before another drenching rainstorm that is great... and they should enjoy it.  But this run is 90% rain and kind of a bummer after several euro runs in a row with a big snow event.  I am not surprised, not upset, not even disappointed.  This exact run is kind of what I have expected from this type of setup, and why I haven't let myself get excited yet.  A little bit of frozen to a lot of rain is kind of the climo favored outcome here.  But we have already beat the odds a few times this year so why not again maybe.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

Yea... some might appreciate that and who I am to deb on that.  If some are happy to get a little taste of winter before another drenching rainstorm that is great... and they should enjoy it.  But this run is 90% rain and kind of a bummer after several euro runs in a row with a big snow event.  I am not surprised, not upset, not even disappointed.  This exact run is kind of what I have expected from this type of setup, and why I haven't let myself get excited yet.  A little bit of frozen to a lot of rain is kind of the climo favored outcome here.  But we have already beat the odds a few times this year so why not again maybe.  

lol i see snow from 00z to 6z. I see snow from 6z to 12z. i see ice from 12z to 18z...and then it goes to rain. thats 18 hours of winter conditions

5 minutes ago, Ji said:

that snowmap dosent make sense. There is 12 hours of snow on the euro for Loudoun

image.thumb.png.bcfc6f33a1e7dc0f9710a1d1aecc0136.png

The 850 only pushes south for a short period then retreats...barely gets much south of you at all...there is probably a very limited window of pure snow and low ratio at that.  It's a little far out to pick apart details like that.  But you were upset about the 0z run last night when it started in this direction...this run took another step and now you are ok with it?

Just now, Ji said:

lol i see snow from 00z to 6z. I see snow from 6z to 12z. i see ice from 12z to 18z...and then it goes to rain. thats 18 hours of winter conditions

and we are talking an op run a week out...who thinks its will look exactly like that.  will get excited or depressed on Friday at the earliest

8 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I'd be exponentially happier with that compared to all rain. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

@psuhoffman

GEFS through d12 or so shows a repeating pattern of storm tracks. Some with 3 in a row. Obviously expecting 3 clean storms in a row is complete crazy talk... I just like seeing the potential for 3 chances in 2 weeks. Give us 3 chances and we'll prob hit on 1 of them. The way this year has treated us it would make sense to hit 2-3 out of 3. I just want another event so I can top climo. Don't care how it happens and don't care if it's a thump to rain. 

On a side note... My son has made $600 cold cash shoveling this year. He's only 14 and between his summer lawn mows/odd jobs he's pulled in nearly $1,200. He bought a refurbed macbook pro already and still has a box full of cash. He's a great son on all levels. As long as he avoids problems with drugs and alcohol he's going to be very successful in life. 

If he can make it over to Colesville, he can add us to his client list.

6 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

The 850 only pushes south for a short period then retreats...barely gets much south of you at all...there is probably a very limited window of pure snow and low ratio at that.  It's a little far out to pick apart details like that.  But you were upset about the 0z run last night when it started in this direction...this run took another step and now you are ok with it?

I am okay with it because i after i saw the 00z euro and the 6z and 12z gfs...i am resigned to the fact that this storm will be a letdown but anything that i can get to pad the stats I am good for. This is a transitional week so this is bonus snow. Maybe the euro is doing the lag/too much amplification in the mid range thing too. Friday was my demarcation day. If it was still a threat by Friday, i would take it more seriously