Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The Mystical Month of February--Long Range Discussion

Ji

The GFS is simply lost. 

I would not worry too much at this time with the goofy GFS. Yes, its possible it goes down like this, but I doubt it. 

Also, I concur with psu this may never really be our event anyway.  Even if we were in the sweet spot getting all snow 24 hours before the event starts it could still go poof  like back in 1994.  

I like the time period after the 15th better. But, with all things weather, you never know.    

18 minutes ago, Ji said:

Do we know why DC is always 25 miles too north in this scenario? 

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_24.png

Because with this pattern (-epo -pna se ridge, cold high on top) the trough axis is way west of us. It can work if a healthy system ejects into the high. Unfortunately what happens more often is most of the energy hangs back with the main trough in the west, whatever weak energy ejects slides east under the high and can’t gain any latitude so stays south of us...(if the cold wasn’t pressing south of us we wouldn’t even be seeing this as a threat window) and then the main energy comes out once the confluence relaxes allowing it to amplify to our west. This is how this setup usually goes.  Not always. It can work. But this is the typical fail look on that run. 

8 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Because with this pattern (-epo -pna se ridge, cold high on top) the trough axis is way west of us. It can work if a healthy system ejects into the high. Unfortunately what happens more often is most of the energy hangs back with the main trough in the west, whatever weak energy ejects slides east under the high and can’t gain any latitude so stays south of us...(if the cold wasn’t pressing south of us we wouldn’t even be seeing this as a threat window) and then the main energy comes out once the confluence relaxes allowing it to amplify to our west. This is how this setup usually goes. 

So in the previous runs that worked...the two pieces of energy came together into a healthier system and then "eject" into the high? (Pardon me if I misunderstood ya)

1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

Bird in hand and all, let’s keep some focus on that first wave for Monday. Looks better on both gfs and GGEM.

Absolutely.  IMO w/ MJO progressing to better phases, I'd think OP's are likely in catch up mode no matter how good or bad they look.

I'm not picking sides in who's right and who's wrong.  

Its a model discussion thread, so tell it like you see it (or wanna see it :P). 

6 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

Verbatim it's a M/HECS....Probably turn to mix/rain in our area but not before a massive thump. Not because it's cutting.  Too amped/too tucked coastal.

ETA: Dont know how I responded to my own post?  @Chris78

First Leesburg is talking to himself and now you are? Guess people are starting to crack under the pressure. Where's the Reaper when you need him, he needs to start cleaning out the weak among us. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, showmethesnow said:

First Leesburg is talking to himself and now you are? Guess people are starting to crack under the pressure. Where's the Reaper when you need him, he needs to start cleaning out the weak among us. :D

Meh...I've been known to talk to myself about the weather...especially durning model runs.  Just ask my wife.  Nobody else in this house give a sh*t if it snows...I'm the only oddball! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

First Leesburg is talking to himself and now you are? Guess people are starting to crack under the pressure. Where's the Reaper when you need him, he needs to start cleaning out the weak among us

Maybe low blood sugar.  I felt better this morning after I had some coffee cake, love cinnamon !  :)  opps  back to the weather ......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Ji said:

FV3 looks like a monstrous hit lol

A stronger lead wave will also promote the high hanging back to the north due to the return flow it creates and it lowers heights enough along the coast to help pull the second system in. Not enough lead wave and the second system is stronger with no height fall in the east to pull it towards and so it’s more likely to cut. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, poolz1 said:

Meh...I've been known to talk to myself about the weather...especially durning model runs.  Just ask my wife.  Nobody else in this house give a sh*t if it snows...I'm the only oddball! 

You are in far better company than you realize buddy.

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

A stronger lead wave will also promote the high hanging back to the north due to the return flow it creates and it lowers heights enough along the coast to help pull the second system in. Not enough lead wave and the second system is stronger with no height fall in the east to pull it towards and so it’s more likely to cut. 

The tendency this year has been generally stronger than anticipated.  There is no massive confluence that would argue for that first system to shred so my guess is it ends up decently strong.  That event is almost certainly rain for you guys and would probably be a NYC-BOS snow ecent.  That though enables DCA/BWI to get hit by the 2nd system which is likely to be much more significant anyway.  As I said earlier it’s 2/8-11 1994 exactly.  That first wave ended up much stronger than expected 3-4 days out.  The AVN and Euro thought the 2/11 event would be all rain and a massive cutter because it underplayed the first storm.  

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I’m not declaring anything dead. But I’ve also never jumped on this because these epo se ridge gradient type patterns shift north 75% of the time. We can snow that way but more often it ends up breaking our hearts. I’m just playing the odds. 

I'm not getting invested in anything until the short range unless a real block builds. We've been dealing with mostly progressive flow for years now. Being in or out of the game at D5 hasn't really told us much with any close call storm. Always comes down to the final 72 hours. If everything goes to hell before that and then holds we can write it off outside of 72 hours. We've seen that. However, things can still look really dicey at 72 hours and we trend into a final (successful) solution. This is where my head is at. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

So in the previous runs that worked...the two pieces of energy came together into a healthier system and then "eject" into the high? (Pardon me if I misunderstood ya)

There are multiple ways to work. The easiest is more energy sooner. Even if the lead wave fails you want it to lower heights to our southeast as much as possible to create a weakness for the next wave to be drawn towards. Additionally it limits the energy held back that could over amp the second wave to our west. The trough axis is not good so we don’t want something going nuts out west. More energy early is better because the cold is in place with confluence. The longer something waits to get organized the more chance it departs.  If too much energy holds back it likely cuts. A nice even split and we could end up with the fv3 coastal bomb idea. The way you get that is enough wave 1 to lower heights and promote high pressure hanging back over the top then the second wave phases into that weakness along the coast under the high.  There are a lot of moving parts but the worst case scenario is too much energy holding back too long. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I'm not getting invested in anything until the short range unless a real block builds. We've been dealing with mostly progressive flow for years now. Being in or out of the game at D5 hasn't really told us much with any close call storm. Always comes down to the final 72 hours. If everything goes to hell before that and then holds we can write it off outside of 72 hours. We've seen that. However, things can still look really dicey at 72 hours and we trend into a final (successful) solution. This is where my head is at. 

Sounds right...I’m just keeping my expectations low so as not to get let down. 

1 minute ago, losetoa6 said:

Gefs

Looks like a colder look overall thru 120 lookin at individual members 

Yea man, gefs looks really good. Mixed outcomes with both waves but a really nice run through d8. Starting to feel like we're going to get at least some snow out of the busy flow. Hopefully by Friday things will congeal enough so the discussion turns towards how much instead of snow or no snow. 

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Ukie looks more progressive and probably better for us . 144 looks decent with possible transfer . 

1008 low in Kentucky with hints of transfer at 144

Anyone with ukmet surface ?

Screenshot_20190206-115003_Chrome_crop_432x680.jpg

Through 144 it's a very nice hit.  Good CAD being shown.  Start to lose 850s at 144

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1