• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The Mystical Month of February--Long Range Discussion

Ji

This has Dec 2012 written all over it (the euro solution).  

We are fine with a low in the tn valley. If that happens we usually get pretty heavy precip, hang on to low level cold during the dry slot/drizzle part and cold as the low passes or jumps. If that low is further west, we don’t get much precip and we seem to warm faster at the low levels.

Just my take.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jaydreb said:

Thanks.  Sounds like Boston will be all caught up to us by next week.  

Not saying this is how the storm evolves but if it does there are two things we need to watch for. First we want to see strong High pressure over top of us. The stronger the quicker we see the primary transfer over to the coastal. Second we don't want the track of the primary too far west. The farther west it is the longer it takes for the secondary (coastal) to take over. And that is what we saw with the latest EPS, a further west track. Preferably what we want to see is the primary tracking just to the west of the Apps with strong high pressure over top. This should force a much quicker transfer off the coast probably around OBX up to the mouth of the Bay. This gives us the best of both worlds as we score from the initial over running and then we score from the developing CCB (cold conveyor belt) snows. The quicker transfer also affords the luxury of mitigating partially if not completely the mid levels getting pooched for the cities from the primary to the west, as the coastal takes over and flips the mid-levels into a NE flow.

22 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Glancing over the EPS and there is a stronger signal at 500's for redevelopment of an amplifying coastal from a primary driving into the lakes. Now how that would possibly play out for our region is anyone's guess at this point. Would be dependent on how far west the primary is as it pulls up, how quickly we see the transfer and the location of where that transfer actually begins to occur. We did see a little bit of a drawback on the snowfall means and I have to question if that may be a result of the EPS favoring an initial transfer to just off our coast putting us in no man's land as the over running gets cut off and the coastal CCb has yet to be formed. But that is merely speculation because I didn't dive into the individual members.

Miller B screwjob?

Still way too far away to deeply dig in but imho, the d15 EPS mean h5 panel looks like a potential prolific winter wx producing pattern and our area isn't out of the game. I'm sure it will look different by the time it gets to d10 but there's a lot to like even though our perfect HECS pattern seems to have vaporized. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Still way too far away to deeply dig in but imho, the d15 EPS mean h5 panel looks like a potential prolific winter wx producing pattern and our area isn't out of the game. I'm sure it will look different by the time it gets to d10 but there's a lot to like even though our perfect HECS pattern seems to have vaporized. 

If the opposite trend with some blocking shows up now that the mjo and soi seem to be cooperating, if we can just get some NAO help it would suppress that whole SW to NE trough and we would be perfect. Doesn’t have to be a prolific block just some ridging would do it. 

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

If the opposite trend with some blocking shows up now that the mjo and soi seem to be cooperating, if we can just get some NAO help it would suppress that whole SW to NE trough and we would be perfect. Doesn’t have to be a prolific block just some ridging would do it. 

Exactly what I was thinking. Even as is would imply oscillating AN/BN temps with an active storm track in our general area. I do think the NE is going to go into some sort of furious catchup to snow climo mode here shortly. If I lived anywhere in SNE I would like what I see more than at any previous time this entire winter. 

1 hour ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Agreed. This is not going to be a clean snowfall for I95 areas probably (hopefully) a thump to mix then either drizzle or dryslot type deal. N and W should do well if the general idea holds.

Thanks for the deterministic forecast. I’ll make my plans accordingly.0

25 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Exactly what I was thinking. Even as is would imply oscillating AN/BN temps with an active storm track in our general area. I do think the NE is going to go into some sort of furious catchup to snow climo mode here shortly. If I lived anywhere in SNE I would like what I see more than at any previous time this entire winter. 

Yeah, I've been thinking that since about last Saturday. Northeast starts playing catchup next week. They'll continue it looks like straight to the middle/end of march. We'll be on the edge next week. I wouldn't have any expectations for early next week to deliver at all. It might. But it's a long shot for the corridor imo. That southeast ridge is a killer. Our fun potentially starts toward the end of next week as the mjo goes into 8, 1, 2, soi tanks and in turn our SE ridge gets beat back. GEFS hints at the SE ridge getting beat back next Thursday. Similar to the EPS. However, the GEFS then builds it back until the end of its run while the EPS has no SE ridge. I'm expecting the GEFS to continue to trend towards the EPS with this feature over the next 48 hrs.  If this occurs we would be looking at a more favorable "more snow than rain/mix" pattern starting towards the end of next week imo. 

Edit: IF we trend toward a more favorable pattern by next thursday/friday....the corridor would still have a solid 4 weeks of snow opportunities before climo says shut out. Remember, we've had snow in March the last 4 years. It's not as hard as we think. I plow snow on Kent Island and we got 8 inches on March 20 last year. Not PSU land but the coastal plain. Plenty of time for everyone to go out with a bang. 

24 minutes ago, WEATHER53 said:

We are back to OK again as predicted starting Sunday. I don’t think the Tuesday event cuts but rather snugs up against western side of mountains along WV/Va border and we get yet another long mostly light-moderate overrunning event.

Run that primary twds OH and then pop the secondary off the Delmarva and many could be back on the snowboard. Just gotta hope the primary doesn’t make it all the way to OH or we are toast.