Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The Mystical Month of February--Long Range Discussion

Ji

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Surface is, the h5 progression looks more typical of a New England big storm so I’m hesitant to jump in. We can sometimes do good with that setup but I’m always looking for the north trend when I see that. 

No doubt. We've had a lot of these over the years. Sometimes we do very well and other times we get an hour of snow before the flip. We've seen some nice midrange trends this season with temps. The north trend has really shown up around d3 and shorter. Just need to hope for a nice cushion at d3. Your house is in the best spot so leave to worrying for people who live along and SE of 95. 

15 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

A slightly stronger 50/50 and blocking this run....would have thought the transfer and coastal development would have been even better than 0z.  Lets get this to 120 hours....where the euro will lock onto a close to reality outcome...Nice to have something on the table tho..

Yeah, sounds good to me ! 

1 minute ago, osfan24 said:

I would be really cautious using that. I think the algorithm is way off and is counting sleet as snow and maybe even freezing rain/rain as snow as well.

Not to mention I basically couldn't care less about what happens north of the mason dixon. No offense to those that contribute from that region. Just telling the truth. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, osfan24 said:

I would be really cautious using that. I think the algorithm is way off and is counting sleet as snow and maybe even freezing rain/rain as snow as well.

It is almost certainly not all snow which is why I was putting snow/sleet.  Doubt it is counting frz.  Regardless I was using it as a caution to anyone taking the LR FV3 too seriously when it is showing this in the next 24-30 hours. 

9 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

No doubt. We've had a lot of these over the years. Sometimes we do very well and other times we get an hour of snow before the flip. We've seen some nice midrange trends this season with temps. The north trend has really shown up around d3 and shorter. Just need to hope for a nice cushion at d3. Your house is in the best spot so leave to worrying for people who live along and SE of 95. 

It’s too soon to get into details. I still have a vested interest in 95 because in these setups if DC (or at least just nw of it) can get 6” there then I can really get crushed. If it ends up being an hour of snow to rain in DC I might get 3-4” up here but usually not more then that. There are exceptions but if I want really BIG totals I want at least the DC burbs to get a good thump too. 

• Like 1

Just now, psuhoffman said:

It’s too soon to get into details. I still have a vested interest in 95 because in these setups if DC (or at least just nw of it) can get 6” there then I can really get crushed. If it ends up being an hour of snow to rain in DC I might get 3-4” up here but usually not more then that. There are exceptions but if I want really BIG totals I want at least the DC burbs to get a good thump too. 

90% of the time you seem to get double what DCA gets.

24 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Here's Kuchera. It's lower than 10:1 and is very reasonable considering the mixing issues. I like that the mixing is ZR. I love me some glaciers in Feb

kl3tLnx.jpg

Thanks Bob. Much appreciated. I’d love to see those purples and pinks sink south. Need some stronger H with maybe a touch more further south L?  

2 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

90% of the time you seem to get double what DCA gets.

It can be more then that...there are rare times I’ve had 10” when DC was all rain. But that’s more typical in marginal surface temp situations. In these type storms typically if I want 10+ I need DC to at least get 3”. 

Just now, psuhoffman said:

It can be more then that...there are rare times I’ve had 10” when DC was all rain. But that’s more typical in marginal surface temp situations. In these type storms typically if I want 10+ I need DC to at least get 3”. 

Yup.  When I lived in PA it was even more impressive.  You leave Gaithersburg and it's 33 or 34 with white rain...Mt. Airy is 32 with dicey roads, Westminster City was okay, then up Rt. 27 through Lineboro things just went to poo.  By the time you cross into the PA it's 28 with a whiteout.

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

You are in a great spot psu ! My location seems to suffer from the warmer ocean as you can see by the strange reduced totals the come in off of the East. For example, look at Dover, DE.  what a big difference there. I myself would require a more Northerly component to do better. But , it will be somewhat fun to see how this plays out. 

9 minutes ago, Ji said:

Euro has shown snow 3 straight runs...if this was a midwest cutter...it would be a done deal but because its us...we need a few more days of consistent runs lol

This will be an interesting event from a statistical standpoint. We've only missed on 1 legit chance this year. I suppose you could say the snow to rain deal in Jan was a miss but the track really sucked and we were never really in the game on that one imo. Does our more typical needing 3-4 chances for each event come back to haunt us or does it simply want to snow in the MA?

15 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

EPS isn't really on board. It has a group of solutions that fit the op (including the control) but it's not nearly as good of a run as I thought it would be. 

what are the other solutions? Rain? suppressed? what were you expecting 7 days out?

Glancing over the EPS and there is a stronger signal at 500's for redevelopment of an amplifying coastal from a primary driving into the lakes. Now how that would possibly play out for our region is anyone's guess at this point. Would be dependent on how far west the primary is as it pulls up, how quickly we see the transfer and the location of where that transfer actually begins to occur. We did see a little bit of a drawback on the snowfall means and I have to question if that may be a result of the EPS favoring an initial transfer to just off our coast putting us in no man's land as the over running gets cut off and the coastal CCb has yet to be formed. But that is merely speculation because I didn't dive into the individual members.

1 minute ago, showmethesnow said:

Glancing over the EPS and there is a stronger signal at 500's for redevelopment of an amplifying coastal from a primary driving into the lakes. Now how that would possibly play out for our region is anyone's guess at this point. Would be dependent on how far west the primary is as it pulls up, how quickly we see the transfer and the location of where that transfer actually begins to occur. We did see a little bit of a drawback on the snowfall means and I have to question if that may be a result of the EPS favoring an initial transfer to just off our coast putting us in no man's land as the over running gets cut off and the coastal CCb has yet to be formed. But that is merely speculation because I didn't dive into the individual members.

Thanks.  Sounds like Boston will be all caught up to us by next week.  

• Like 2