Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OBS only thread winter event Jan 29-30, 2019

wdrag

2 minutes ago, SRRTA22 said:

It seems the coastal boundary has inched just a little east as my winds in Jersey City have shifted from the east to the west/southwest Temps are starting to slowly fall as well.

Yep within the past hour and a half or so my winds on Staten Island have gone from SE to SW. Not ideal, but better than off Lower NY Bay.

Just now, wdrag said:

Wantage NJ 8 s of High Point.  725 PM 3.7".  27.7F  NYC and LI should pick up 1/4-1" of snow 10P-2A time frame, from what I can tell from the hrrr. 

What do you suspect is the reasoning for this massive "dry slot" on this particular run of the HRRR? Something inherently flawed with the model?

hrrr_ref_nyc_4.png

• Haha 1

Temp is up to 36 and it's still pouring rain but the wind has moved around to SSW. From the radar it looks like the snow line is about 4 miles to my WNW. At this point I just want it not to change to snow and to stop precipitating before the front moves through. If it does change to snow the ice will be terrible.

5 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Temp is up to 36 and it's still pouring rain but the wind has moved around to SSW. From the radar it looks like the snow line is about 4 miles to my WNW. At this point I just want it not to change to snow and to stop precipitating before the front moves through. If it does change to snow the ice will be terrible.

I guess the r/s line is basically along the Hudson River 

HRRR bang on so far.  Was 39F at 6 pm, then 37F at 7 pm and just down to 34F at 8 pm, with snow mixing in as of 8 pm.  Question now is how much QPF is left and how much snow melts - I think we'll likely get 0.2" QPF, but maybe only an inch or so of accumulation.  Will find out soon.  

Nice band I95... that should nail you along the coast as a transition snow acc on grass but very little streets of NYC I think you might snow even to 1 or 2 am in NYC.  Dont give up... hrrr is all you have and we have to make the best of it.  It's better than what we had 3 years ago...much better!  Thank the modelers worldwide and researchers throughout the world education systems.  They allow great confidence in projections, provided you look out there window for initial ground truth. 

• Like 2

Wantage NJ solid 4" at 815P.  I think we might top out 4.5  or so here.  My last report will be at 845P.  Have a good night and thanks for participating enmasse.  Winter far far from over.   (my season total as of 815P  19.8" heading for 40 or 50 by April 15,  I hope.). 

Just now, wdrag said:

Nice band I95... that should nail you along the coast as a transition snow acc on grass but very little streets of NYC I think you might snow even to 1 or 2 am in NYC.  Dont give up... hrrr is all you have and we have to make the best of it.  It's better than what we had 3 years ago...much better!  Thank the modelers worldwide and researchers throughout the world education systems.  They allow great confidence in projections, provided you look out there window for initial ground truth. 

What would cause a rebuilding of precip? Back edge appears 1/3 of the way through NJ with only light returns after.

• Rjay unpinned this topic