• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 29, 2019 Snow Event and January 30th Snow Squall Discussion and Obs

ChescoWx

Ended with 0.0/trace. Got 15 minutes of white rain at the end. Can't say I was surprised though. Let's see how we fail with the next one. All the meso's have a nice squall line developing that should drop a quick coating-inch and should arrive right when I leave work. Hope it actually comes to fruition.

1 hour ago, LizardMafia said:

Snow squall warning issued out in Central PA, don't see one of those very often.

The warning itself is relatively new (phase-in of it started a year ago in certain FOs, although not here)! https://www.weather.gov/media/nwr/Snow Squall_WRN_NWREAS_112117.pdf

Will be interesting to see if it holds together and is able to meet the criteria for Mt. Holly to issue one in our CWA.

3 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

Temp up to 28F. The line of snow squalls looks a bit broken up atm. Hopefully it regenerates as it approaches the coastal plain. 

Stuck between CCX and DIX radar sites. It's a low topped, shallow snow squall that isn't picked up by the radar beams.

1 hour ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

The warning itself is relatively new (phase-in of it started a year ago in certain FOs, although not here)! https://www.weather.gov/media/nwr/Snow Squall_WRN_NWREAS_112117.pdf

Will be interesting to see if it holds together and is able to meet the criteria for Mt. Holly to issue one in our CWA.

models show it intensifying as it approaches our area

Just now, hazwoper said:

models show it intensifying as it approaches our area

Since the temps here are relatively "warm" compared to the back side of it, I expect it would intensify as it approaches since this is happening during the heating of the day... maybe doing some downslope "warming" (relative) on its way in too.

10 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Since the temps here are relatively "warm" compared to the back side of it, I expect it would intensify as it approaches since this is happening during the heating of the day... maybe doing some downslope "warming" (relative) on its way in too.

Interesting ideas here. Hopefully no snownados break out! So lovely out right now. Can't wait to see the cloud bank coming in. BCMR picked up about 5" last night near the summit made for nice skiing. It was over by 8:00 pm. Flakes were pretty big, nice dendrites. Storm was followed by intense fog for about an hour. 3" in Pottstown. Rt 100, 663 and 29 were a mess during the rush hour. I had to take Salem Bible Church Rd to get to the mountain. 

3 minutes ago, zenmsav6810 said:

Interesting ideas here. Hopefully no snownados break out! So lovely out right now. Can't wait to see the cloud bank coming in. BCMR picked up about 5" last night near the summit made for nice skiing. It was over by 8:00 pm. Flakes were pretty big, nice dendrites. Storm was followed by intense fog for about an hour. 3" in Pottstown. Rt 100, 663 and 29 were a mess during the rush hour. I had to take Salem Bible Church Rd to get to the mountain. 

It's already 29 IMBY (30 @ KPHL and 2 @ KAGC) so will see what happens!  I've driven through some nasty squalls here in Philly (although it's been awhile).