Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    15,500
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    SkincareMumbai
    Newest Member
    SkincareMumbai
    Joined
Hoosier

February 2019 Discussion

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Brief clearing today between lake snow

IMG_8730.JPG.4f7d0e98e379062a4940b9e63da3bf06.JPG

 

Somewhere there is a house back there. :lmao:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Possible storm for Wednesday (Feb. 20th) - Is a discussion thread needed for upper Midwest? I am not sure. I usually don't start threads for you guys. It seems as though the models are beginning to agree on snowfall >3" in Iowa, possibly over 6"

jF10Ezs.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Chinook said:

Possible storm for Wednesday (Feb. 20th) - Is a discussion thread needed for upper Midwest? I am not sure. I usually don't start threads for you guys. It seems as though the models are beginning to agree on snowfall >3" in Iowa, possibly over 6"

jF10Ezs.png

We have it

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, weatherbo said:

Brief clearing today between lake snow

 

 

Your roof looks like it was not cleared just a week ago.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most back roads up here that aren't seasonal are plowed, just narrow.  I suspect once the Marquette road commission is caught up in towns, they’ll  then come back through and push the snow back, further widening the roads.  My road is basically a path still... haha!  Snow's too deep to sled, too deep to snowshoe, just these massive walls everywhere.  Spent hours yesterday clearing the seasonal roof snow away from the house that we shoveled off last week, which is basically like packed avalanche snow.... and looks like several inches fell while I was sleeping.  Just constant snow removal this month and it looks to keep falling through the rest of the month with regularity.

6 hours ago, CoalCityWxMan said:

How do you even get around at this point?

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, weatherbo said:

Most back roads up here that aren't seasonal are plowed, just narrow.  I suspect once the Marquette road commission is caught up in towns, they’ll  then come back through and push the snow back, further widening the roads.  My road is basically a path still... haha!  Snow's too deep to sled, too deep to snowshoe, just these massive walls everywhere.  Spent hours yesterday clearing the seasonal roof snow away from the house that we shoveled off last week, which is basically like packed avalanche snow.... and looks like several inches fell while I was sleeping.  Just constant snow removal this month and it looks to keep falling through the rest of the month with regularity.

 

I was away on a little trip with the family last week but when got back home was pretty surprised to see how much LES we received last week.  I would say average depth is around 36" with other areas well into the 40" around the property.  I will admit I had given up on this winter with the early season woes and being almost 35" down on this season but this second half has really been something. Oddly enough i am ready for spring, LES guns are not going to be firing at full anyhow with the growing Ice Pack on the lakes. Looking at the next ferw weeks still looks pretty set in full winter mode for most of the upper Midwest. 

glsea_cur.png

Edit: Gazing at today's satellite, looks like there is much more open water than this graphic depicts which is not all that uncommon,

 

COD-GOES-East-local-UP.02.20190218.151713-over=map-bars=.gif

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just saw an interesting graphic on the local new this morning. Apparently Madison has reported snow 24 out of the last 31 days and 36.7" of snow in that time span. That means here we probably have had 45+" snow in the last month.That's bleeping crazy. To put in perspective we had 45" total last year and didn't even hit that the winter before. The only reason we don't have an LES belt-like snow pack is that we've had 2 major thaws in that period too. We'd probably be talking top-10 snowiest winter if we had an even average snowfall in December and Early January.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, josh_4184 said:

I was away on a little trip with the family last week but when got back home was pretty surprised to see how much LES we received last week.  I would say average depth is around 36" with other areas well into the 40" around the property.  I will admit I had given up on this winter with the early season woes and being almost 35" down on this season but this second half has really been something. Oddly enough i am ready for spring, LES guns are not going to be firing at full anyhow with the growing Ice Pack on the lakes. Looking at the next ferw weeks still looks pretty set in full winter mode for most of the upper Midwest. 

glsea_cur.png

Edit: Gazing at today's satellite, looks like there is much more open water than this graphic depicts which is not all that uncommon,

 

COD-GOES-East-local-UP.02.20190218.151713-over=map-bars=.gif

There's still plenty of open water.  Twin Lakes area received 30-36" a few days ago because the ice shifted and a crack opened.  Northern Lakes are freezing quickly, however..  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Seasonal snowfall accumulation to date.

v2sgu9.jpg

That map looks pretty good around here.  Just hit 30" with the recent snow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Pretty impressive temp drop-off from Chicago to areas outside of the big city.  Midway currently a balmy 27 while it's already down to 1 above at Aurora.  

Wow

chi_sfc.gif.dae9025fb865eeb71047a30f57d1d12b.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Seasonal snowfall accumulation to date.

v2sgu9.jpg

Picked up 4.2" on this last storm bringing our total since Nov 1st to 58.1". Record for Ottumwa is 63.9" in 1977-1978. Certainly looks like we're going to break it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

got down to at least -5 at 7 am this morning.  May have squeaked out a -6 in between hours.   Already up to 7 two hours later.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forgot to post this picture of the moon from last night.  Was in the right place at the right time to capture this shot.  Crappy cell phone pic... it looked better in person.  Been a while since I've seen it look so spectacular and so low in the sky.  

A casual observer might be tempted to think they are looking at the setting sun.  However, you would expect the color of the surrounding sky to look different.  Also, this shot is facing east, not west.  :P

20190219_174758.thumb.jpg.aa6a0ad29c43e43578ae0226f06f7497.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Forgot to post this picture of the moon from last night.  Was in the right place at the right time to capture this shot.  Crappy cell phone pic... it looked better in person.  Been a while since I've seen it look so spectacular and so low in the sky.  

A casual observer might be tempted to think they are looking at the setting sun.  However, you would expect the color of the surrounding sky to look different.  Also, this shot is facing east, not west.  :P

20190219_174758.thumb.jpg.aa6a0ad29c43e43578ae0226f06f7497.jpg

What did you film this with, a potato? :lmao::lmao:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Forgot to post this picture of the moon from last night.  Was in the right place at the right time to capture this shot.  Crappy cell phone pic... it looked better in person.  Been a while since I've seen it look so spectacular and so low in the sky.  

A casual observer might be tempted to think they are looking at the setting sun.  However, you would expect the color of the surrounding sky to look different.  Also, this shot is facing east, not west.  :P

20190219_174758.thumb.jpg.aa6a0ad29c43e43578ae0226f06f7497.jpg

I noticed the "snow moon" the other night too. I took this pic. It was much higher in the sky when i took the pic then your shot

52508060_10111186478948333_7396894772838

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol at APX, not over anything relevant but did enjoy their humor this morning. 

Quote
Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Gaylord MI
637 AM EST Thu Feb 21 2019

.NEAR TERM...(Today through Tonight)
Issued at 310 AM EST Thu Feb 21 2019

...Spotty nuisance precip...

High impact weather potential...none.

All hail the NAM! (Don`t say /that/ very often.) 1003mb surface
low is tracking a bit north of the Sault early this morning, as
successfully forecast (24 hours ago) by the Nam and no other
model. An associated cold front is moving across ne lower MI, and
cold advection is underway across most of northern MI with gusty
wsw surface winds. There is a total lack of mid/high clouds over
northern MI per satellite, but plenty of low clouds.
Cyclonically-curved low level flow is contributing to continued
light snow in parts of eastern upper MI. In northern lower,
upsloping is also a contributing factor, with spotty light snow
showers/drizzle/freezing drizzle. Precip trends are the primary
concern.

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Season total stands at 16.1” my father who lives 20 miles south has had 13.5”. After the 33 degree rain once again yesterday,  I am ready to put this winter out of its misery. Buying a ticket for a big dog has just been impossible to do here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gorgeous Day today with sun and pretty light winds.  Another stinker of a weekend on tap.  Second weekend in about 4 where the snow will get nuked.

Lets see if my MI Snow Freak pile can hold up. I'll be glad to have the walkway clear of the ice though! Wish the Feb sun could have done work there this week.

 

 

 

000.jpg

0002.jpg

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couple decent sunsets this week. Failed on the second one with the sun trying to peek out after the ice event - or maybe it was the day after, shrugs.

 

 

0006.jpg

0007.jpg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wind potential still looks rather impressive on the 00z runs.  I think you could even argue for a window of 60-65 mph gusts in the LOT cwa (and elsewhere) with a prolonged period of 50+ mph gust potential.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×