• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 2019 Discussion

Hoosier

What a week it has been. One week ago today temperatures of -15゚ with wind chills of -40゚, then our beautiful snowpack literally vanished before my eyes as temperature surged into the 50s Sunday and Monday, we then awoke to an ice storm yesterday morning and now after a damp raw day today temperatures decided to spike from the upper 30s to the mid 50s in a few hours for a brief spike, now they're on the way down the roller coaster into the teens. I would take "boring" sustained Winter anyday over this.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, UMB WX said:

50's even for a few hrs sounds delicious when there is no snow pack to preserve. That was nice of mother nature to throw you a bone.

Wind is pretty legit tonight.  Dam this last gust had to be pushing 45+ :weenie:

How much snow do you have left? Lol I was not even outside during it. Last I was outside it was in the 30s this afternoon and the next time I will be outside will be tomorrow morning in the teens.

14 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

How much snow do you have left? Lol I was not even outside during it. Last I was outside it was in the 30s this afternoon and the next time I will be outside will be tomorrow morning in the teens.

My snow was nuked to patches by Monday AM along the lake. Inland you can find mostly trashy snow cover, especially area's that had some protection from wind.  This snow pack had zero staying power along with the drifting causing uneven depths.  Woods and homes across from me have full snow cover yet. I'm at patches and pretty good snow banks yet. Ditches along my road are deep AF yet.

4.1" Tuesday evening

6.8" last night and today. 

Depth is ~11" IMBY, easily the deepest of the season. Had to feed my powder fever so went skiing this evening and saw lots of snowmobiles out as well. Up to this point we really hadn't had much of a natural base in this part of the state. The 6pm observation of 5.7" at MSP set the daily record for snowfall. I imagine the midnight observation will finish around 6"

Definitely the best stretch of winter we've had this season. If you go back two weeks there is another 5" snowfall and a historic arctic blast to boot. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, UMB WX said:

My snow was nuked to patches by Monday AM along the lake. Inland you can find mostly trashy snow cover, especially area's that had some protection from wind.  This snow pack had zero staying power along with the drifting causing uneven depths.  Woods and homes across from me have full snow cover yet. I'm at patches and pretty good snow banks yet. Ditches along my road are deep AF yet.

We had constant snow cover from January 17 to February 3rd, that's going to be about the best stretch we can get this subpar Winter. Other than that its been a day here and there. No snow left other than parking lot piles here now (well i have a wide driveway so one small pile, most people have none). Its crazy how dews nuke the snow. Buffalo went from 2 feet to nothing!

Last Winter was great with just a few exceptions though im sure the western sub would beg to differ when comparing the last 2 winters.

Trees were more resilient than I anticipated and very few limbs fell overnight.  Thankfully, power stayed on too, as the temp has fallen all the way to -3 this morning.

Somewhere between 8-9" fell.  Models really cutback on qpf the day of the storm.  Snow depth now just over 40" on average.  Do I beat last years 58"?

IMG_8439.thumb.JPG.075310170a65ffc63c7a295860be0cf3.JPG

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

pics do not do the depth here justice.  My chimney, with the cap is 52" high.  I estimate 4-5' of snow on the roof.  I know the house is built for the weight, but this is nuts!  Time to shovel.

IMG_8448.JPG.bcdf67ab84d0dee601e29cc3fb876d16.JPG

IMG_8445.JPG.06524ccb1ac2129df503b39a42abcb69.JPG

Wow. My shingles would be laying in my bedroom with that much snow on the roof. 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

pics do not do the depth here justice.  My chimney, with the cap is 52" high.  I estimate 4-5' of snow on the roof.  I know the house is built for the weight, but this is nuts!  Time to shovel.

Im going to the UP Monday thru Wednesday this week. Staying in Newberry and hiking tahquamenon. The snow is unusually deep in the eastern UP, thats why we decided against initial plans to go to keewenaw or ontario. Its only a 5 hour drive.  Even the banana belt of the UP has respectable depth (many winters Detroit has deeper snowpack at times than menoniminee or escanaba). Our landscape may return to white again at home too, but cant wait to get to the UP!!!

• Like 1

Confirmed tornado from yesterday northeast of me in Clark county. Details coming later.

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WILMINGTON OH

1248 PM EST FRI FEB 8 2019

...TORNADO CONFIRMED IN CLARK COUNTY... THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE OFFICE IN WILMINGTON OH IS CURRENTLY CONDUCTING A STORM SURVEY FOR THE AREA NEAR PITCHIN IN CLARK COUNTY OHIO. THE SURVEY IS IN RELATION TO THE SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS THAT MOVED THROUGH THE AREA ON FEBRUARY 7TH 2019. THE TEAM HAS CONFIRMED THAT DAMAGE IN THE AREA OF EAST JACKSON ROAD, OLD SPRINGFIELD ROAD, AND SELMA PIKE ROAD IN THE PITCHIN AREA WAS CAUSED BY A WEAK TORNADO. THE SURVEY IS ONGOING, AND DETAILS INCLUDING FINAL RATING AND OTHER ASPECTS OF THE TORNADO ARE STILL BEING COLLECTED. A FINAL ASSESSMENT INCLUDING RESULTS OF THE SURVEY ARE EXPECTED TO BE COMPLETED AND TRANSMITTED VIA A PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT BY LATE THIS AFTERNOON. THE STORM SURVEY INFORMATION WILL ALSO BE AVAILABLE ON OUR WEBSITE AT HTTP://WWW.WEATHER.GOV/ILN $$ BINAU

7 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Im going to the UP Monday thru Wednesday this week. Staying in Newberry and hiking tahquamenon. The snow is unusually deep in the eastern UP, thats why we decided against initial plans to go to keewenaw or ontario. Its only a 5 hour drive.  Even the banana belt of the UP has respectable depth (many winters Detroit has deeper snowpack at times than menoniminee or escanaba). Our landscape may return to white again at home too, but cant wait to get to the UP!!!

Enjoy your annual trip, Josh!  I hope you do decide at some point to make the trip and explore the Keeweenaw! I plan on going to the Wawa area this Summer.

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 12:56 PM, Hoosier said:

That is a strong high being progged to move through the Lakes this weekend.  It's a bit more common to see one of that intensity farther west or north.  

The all-time high pressure reading for Chicago is 1049.1", which will probably be safe, but not by much.

It is real interesting just how far to the right my analog barometers are this evening. Only to 1041 last hour though. Looks like O'Hare was the same. So far.

11 hours ago, weatherbo said:

Nice pics Bo, I picked up about 6-7" since yesterday, snowdepth is about 18" or so, we lost about 12" from the torch, if not I would be over 30" OTG. Just not this year, usually hit 35" at least once in a winter but with the torches  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, josh_4184 said:

Nice pics Bo, I picked up about 6-7" since yesterday, snowdepth is about 18" or so, we lost about 12" from the torch, if not I would be over 30" OTG. Just not this year, usually hit 35" at least once in a winter but with the torches  

Yep, a crap winter in northern lower for sure. The two winters I lived there were pretty sweet... my depth there peaking around 3'- 3 1/2'

Snowfall here has only been average, it’s just been mostly wet snows that have built up an early March type snowpack. Not to mention, there’s not really been any major thaw up this way either.

On 2/6/2019 at 11:56 AM, Hoosier said:

That is a strong high being progged to move through the Lakes this weekend.  It's a bit more common to see one of that intensity farther west or north.  

The all-time high pressure reading for Chicago is 1049.1", which will probably be safe, but not by much.

Looks like ORD peaked at 1047.4"

• Like 1