Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 2019 Discussion

Hoosier

39 minutes ago, Chinook said:

Possible storm for Wednesday (Feb. 20th) - Is a discussion thread needed for upper Midwest? I am not sure. I usually don't start threads for you guys. It seems as though the models are beginning to agree on snowfall >3" in Iowa, possibly over 6"

jF10Ezs.png

We have it

Most back roads up here that aren't seasonal are plowed, just narrow.  I suspect once the Marquette road commission is caught up in towns, they’ll  then come back through and push the snow back, further widening the roads.  My road is basically a path still... haha!  Snow's too deep to sled, too deep to snowshoe, just these massive walls everywhere.  Spent hours yesterday clearing the seasonal roof snow away from the house that we shoveled off last week, which is basically like packed avalanche snow.... and looks like several inches fell while I was sleeping.  Just constant snow removal this month and it looks to keep falling through the rest of the month with regularity.

6 hours ago, CoalCityWxMan said:

How do you even get around at this point?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, weatherbo said:

Most back roads up here that aren't seasonal are plowed, just narrow.  I suspect once the Marquette road commission is caught up in towns, they’ll  then come back through and push the snow back, further widening the roads.  My road is basically a path still... haha!  Snow's too deep to sled, too deep to snowshoe, just these massive walls everywhere.  Spent hours yesterday clearing the seasonal roof snow away from the house that we shoveled off last week, which is basically like packed avalanche snow.... and looks like several inches fell while I was sleeping.  Just constant snow removal this month and it looks to keep falling through the rest of the month with regularity.

I was away on a little trip with the family last week but when got back home was pretty surprised to see how much LES we received last week.  I would say average depth is around 36" with other areas well into the 40" around the property.  I will admit I had given up on this winter with the early season woes and being almost 35" down on this season but this second half has really been something. Oddly enough i am ready for spring, LES guns are not going to be firing at full anyhow with the growing Ice Pack on the lakes. Looking at the next ferw weeks still looks pretty set in full winter mode for most of the upper Midwest. 

glsea_cur.png

Edit: Gazing at today's satellite, looks like there is much more open water than this graphic depicts which is not all that uncommon,

COD-GOES-East-local-UP.02.20190218.151713-over=map-bars=.gif

• Like 1

I just saw an interesting graphic on the local new this morning. Apparently Madison has reported snow 24 out of the last 31 days and 36.7" of snow in that time span. That means here we probably have had 45+" snow in the last month.That's bleeping crazy. To put in perspective we had 45" total last year and didn't even hit that the winter before. The only reason we don't have an LES belt-like snow pack is that we've had 2 major thaws in that period too. We'd probably be talking top-10 snowiest winter if we had an even average snowfall in December and Early January.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, josh_4184 said:

I was away on a little trip with the family last week but when got back home was pretty surprised to see how much LES we received last week.  I would say average depth is around 36" with other areas well into the 40" around the property.  I will admit I had given up on this winter with the early season woes and being almost 35" down on this season but this second half has really been something. Oddly enough i am ready for spring, LES guns are not going to be firing at full anyhow with the growing Ice Pack on the lakes. Looking at the next ferw weeks still looks pretty set in full winter mode for most of the upper Midwest. 

glsea_cur.png

Edit: Gazing at today's satellite, looks like there is much more open water than this graphic depicts which is not all that uncommon,

COD-GOES-East-local-UP.02.20190218.151713-over=map-bars=.gif

There's still plenty of open water.  Twin Lakes area received 30-36" a few days ago because the ice shifted and a crack opened.  Northern Lakes are freezing quickly, however..  

Forgot to post this picture of the moon from last night.  Was in the right place at the right time to capture this shot.  Crappy cell phone pic... it looked better in person.  Been a while since I've seen it look so spectacular and so low in the sky.  

A casual observer might be tempted to think they are looking at the setting sun.  However, you would expect the color of the surrounding sky to look different.  Also, this shot is facing east, not west.  :P

20190219_174758.thumb.jpg.aa6a0ad29c43e43578ae0226f06f7497.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Forgot to post this picture of the moon from last night.  Was in the right place at the right time to capture this shot.  Crappy cell phone pic... it looked better in person.  Been a while since I've seen it look so spectacular and so low in the sky.  

A casual observer might be tempted to think they are looking at the setting sun.  However, you would expect the color of the surrounding sky to look different.  Also, this shot is facing east, not west.  :P

What did you film this with, a potato? :lmao::lmao:

5 hours ago, Hoosier said:

I noticed the "snow moon" the other night too. I took this pic. It was much higher in the sky when i took the pic then your shot

52508060_10111186478948333_7396894772838

• Like 1

Lol at APX, not over anything relevant but did enjoy their humor this morning. 

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Gaylord MI
637 AM EST Thu Feb 21 2019

.NEAR TERM...(Today through Tonight)
Issued at 310 AM EST Thu Feb 21 2019

...Spotty nuisance precip...

High impact weather potential...none.

All hail the NAM! (Don`t say /that/ very often.) 1003mb surface
low is tracking a bit north of the Sault early this morning, as
successfully forecast (24 hours ago) by the Nam and no other
model. An associated cold front is moving across ne lower MI, and
cold advection is underway across most of northern MI with gusty
wsw surface winds. There is a total lack of mid/high clouds over
northern MI per satellite, but plenty of low clouds.
Cyclonically-curved low level flow is contributing to continued
light snow in parts of eastern upper MI. In northern lower,
upsloping is also a contributing factor, with spotty light snow
showers/drizzle/freezing drizzle. Precip trends are the primary
concern.

• Haha 1

Gorgeous Day today with sun and pretty light winds.  Another stinker of a weekend on tap.  Second weekend in about 4 where the snow will get nuked.

Lets see if my MI Snow Freak pile can hold up. I'll be glad to have the walkway clear of the ice though! Wish the Feb sun could have done work there this week.

000.jpg

0002.jpg

• Haha 2