Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 2019 Discussion

Hoosier

February ice storm in the UP...?   :o

...ICE STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM EST /9 PM CST/ THIS EVENING TO 7 PM EST /6 PM CST/ MONDAY... * WHAT...Significant icing expected. Freezing drizzle will develop late this evening and continue until later tonight when freezing rain moves in from the southwest. A glaze of ice accumulation is expected with the drizzle. Moderate to heavy freezing rain and sleet are expected from late tonight into early Monday afternoon. Total ice accumulations of a quarter to a half inch expected, with lesser amounts around a tenth of an inch expected near Menominee. Total snow accumulations of up to two inches are possible over northern Marquette County.

• Sad 2

49 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

We've lost another 2" from the snow pack over the last six hours, so my backyard is down to 5".  We're sitting at 46F.

Yep we'll both be looking at bare grass by tomorrow afternoon.  What a remarkable turnaround.  On Thursday at work I mentioned that we were over 60 degrees colder than freezing.  Crazy to see the snow melt like this after that long period of extreme cold.  

• Like 2

Temperatures are beginning to fall, we are at 35F here with dense fog all day under the retreating snowpack. Paved surfaces (especially sidewalks) have stayed below freezing and have an “hoar frost” type frost on them. Pretty slick out there.

Under a WWA for freezing rain tonight. Looks like around 0.1” but temperatures are retreating faster then antipated so might end up with more of a glaze then people realize leading to a terrible commute tomorrow. 

32 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

50 degrees at midnight at MLI.  We basically went from one extreme to the other in just a few days time.  No doubt in my mind we'd be seeing 60s with this air mass if we didn't have 15-20" of snow to melt off first.  

Probably better severe prospects as well. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/4/2019 at 1:04 AM, cyclone77 said:

50 degrees at midnight at MLI.  We basically went from one extreme to the other in just a few days time.  No doubt in my mind we'd be seeing 60s with this air mass if we didn't have 15-20" of snow to melt off first.  

On 2/4/2019 at 1:37 AM, hlcater said:

Probably better severe prospects as well. 

Easily for both.

55 minutes ago, Torchageddon said:

My forecast point has been increased to 10ºC now (up from 4 and recently 8) for this afternoon. That was the plan. I even had the sun brake out for a moment a hour ago.

Its 11C in Hamilton currently with a mix of sun and clouds. All the snow is pretty much melted aside from a few drifts and bigger piles. 

Looks like we will see freezing rain warnings for Wednesday. 

1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

Looks like about 5-6" of snow left after the great melt-off.  Cold front is now passing through, so should retain the majority of this for awhile.  

Wow sounds like you made out better than most. Its crazy how much snow was lost in some areas. I saw DVN went from 12 to 1". How much did you have pre melt? We went from 5" to 0 (just piles).

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

Wow sounds like you made out better than most. Its crazy how much snow was lost in some areas. I saw DVN went from 12 to 1". How much did you have pre melt? We went from 5" to 0 (just piles).

Had 19" pre melt.  The airport depth obs doesn't represent what we have very well.  Not sure why, but they always seem way lower than surrounding locations.  

53 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Had 19" pre melt.  The airport depth obs doesn't represent what we have very well.  Not sure why, but they always seem way lower than surrounding locations.  

Thats often the case. Regardless thats a lot of snow loss. I assume anyone who started the thaw under 9 or 10" has grass now.

• Like 1

I understand the disappointment about loss of snow pack, but I'm schooled at this lol.  This is the 3rd time this year it's gone around here.  The models ain't lookin good for us either.  Still have 4-6 weeks of potential so I'll glass half full it for a bit, then I'm done.  This freakin mudfest sucks.

3 hours ago, Jackstraw said:

I understand the disappointment about loss of snow pack, but I'm schooled at this lol.  This is the 3rd time this year it's gone around here.  The models ain't lookin good for us either.  Still have 4-6 weeks of potential so I'll glass half full it for a bit, then I'm done.  This freakin mudfest sucks.

Already cancelled any meaningful winter for mby, certainly for yby it's ovva! Sure, we'll get nickels-n-dimes but building another glacier -doubtful. Never fear! Morch will be upon us with haste this year. Sky this morning looked like an April day..

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, RogueWaves said:

Already cancelled any meaningful winter for mby, certainly for yby it's ovva! Sure, we'll get nickels-n-dimes but building another glacier -doubtful. Never fear! Morch will be upon us with haste this year. Sky this morning looked like an April day..

Yup. This is just not a snowpack winter. And to think i was worried the east coast would get all the fun lol. I was expecting some historic east coast winter and hoped we would get fringed enough for a cold dry snowpack...instead they are snowless and the western midwest is the place to be. No doubt more snowfalls are in our future...but a sustained winter it aint.

Further crazy that the last week of January (already the coldest week of the year on average) was the 2nd coldest on record and now its muddy out!