• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 2019 Discussion

Hoosier

I can't remember ever having a better-looking snow pack than what we have now.  It is about 15 inches of fluff topped with a layer of glittery dendrites.  I wish I could bottle this and break it out every winter.  What I would really love is to someday have a snow pack like this and then get a 12" storm on top.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

I can't remember ever having a better-looking snow pack than what we have now.  It is about 15 inches of fluff topped with a layer of glittery dendrites.  I wish I could bottle this and break it out every winter.  What I would really love is to someday have a snow pack like this and then get a 12" storm on top.

Yeah I mentioned in the other thread it was amazing how shiny the snow was w/ this clipper.  This morning you could even see glimpses of color from the light refracting through the crystals.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Yeah this snow pack is amazing.  Been building it up layer by layer since Jan 12th.  I could just sit in a lawn chair and stair at it, that's how impressive it is lol.  

Edit: Stare, not stair.  I need to hire an editor cause I can't spel

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Yeah this snow pack is amazing.  Been building it up layer by layer since Jan 12th.  I could just sit in a lawn chair and stair at it, that's how impressive it is lol.  

Edit: Stare, not stair.  I need to hire an editor cause I can't spel

Jealous but you definitely deserve it out there. This is certainly your Winter.

We've had lots of good snow packs in recent years, this year is not one of them however it has certainly been a deep Winter the last week. Snow has been on the ground since January 17 although not too deep.

My peak snow depths the last 10 winters:

2018-19: 6" so far

2017-18: 15"

2016-17: 10"

2015-16: 6"

2014-15: 19"

2013-14: 21"

2012-13: 8"

2011-12: 5"

2010-11: 16"

2009-10: 12"

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Feels like July out there compared to a few days ago.  45 with full sun, and the sounds of running water as you step outside.  Snow is melting fairly quickly which is a bit surprising.  Looks like 3-4" lost already.

The high dews are killer... definitely worse than having the same temps with dews below freezing.  I had about 7" snowpack before the melt started and I am expecting nothing to survive except for the bigger piles.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

A couple interesting tidbits... Just two days ago MLI hit -33, and they are currently sitting at 46, which is 79 degrees warmer.  Also, around this time two days ago it snowed all afternoon with temps well below zero.  What a difference a few days can make.  

Yea not to mention the lack of fog, drizzle, and low clouds considering all the snow melt taking place. Puddles everywhere! 

36b71891f8d1febc952ba971ecb3567f.jpg

The fog is hardcore tonight. Skiing at Chestnut Mountain near Galena, IL, last night was frigid but the snow was really good and looked great, as good as it gets. Today by mid day it was a spring like slush, now with the dense fog/mist it’s literally disappearing in front of my eyes and looks horrible. Interestingly, at the bottom of the hill (about 500’ lower elevation), no fog (also on the bank of the Mississippi River), at the top it’s a whole different world, pic is near the top.

• Like 3

One last temp comparison to mention.  At 11pm 3 nights ago (Wednesday night) at MLI the temp was -28.  Tonight at 11pm the temp was 45, which is 73 degrees warmer.  That large of a spread in temp over such a short time period at the same time of day is pretty impressive.  The dewpoint also jumped from -32 to 40.  

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

I lost another 3" of snow pack overnight, now down to 7".  The snow has no chance against 24 hours of moist 40s.

Yeah it is quite stunning how fast it's melting.  Lost a good 10" since early yesterday morning, and now have about 9" left.  I would assume the rate of melting will slow some with the bottom layers being much more dense than the top few layers.  Snow definitely has that grungy look to it now as well.  

1 hour ago, mississaugasnow said:

Feels great outside. Snow is melting nice and fast. February is a month where most of the sub starts to notice the emergence of spring. Its not dark anymore at 5pm, birds start to come back and the sun feels great and grows stronger every day 

February is also, on average, our snowiest month.  At least it has been the last two decades. 

Not that I disagree with your points.  But, personally, I'd say I don't really notice the emergence of spring until March.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

February is also, on average, our snowiest month.  At least it has been the last two decades. 

Not that I disagree with your points.  But, personally, I'd say I don't really notice the emergence of spring until March.

Completely agree, February is still deep winter. I just start looking down south and notice the slight differences along the gulf coast and some of those temperatures and instability start to spread north into Kentucky and Ohio.