Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 2019 General Discussion and Observation Thread

Stormlover74

1 hour ago, Snow88 said:

The mjo of the gefs is insane. It's literally all the charts in phase 8 near mid month.

Something is gotta give. Usually with that amplitude , the AO and PNA gets better.

The GEFS is doing too much with it, it did that back in December/Jan too, which is why I don't buy that huge cutter. 

EPS has the right depiction and I expect the OP to correct the track over time. Para looks more accurate than anything.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

The GEFS is doing too much with it, it did that back in December/Jan too, which is why I don't buy that huge cutter. 

EPS has the right depiction and I expect the OP to correct the track over time. Para looks more accurate than anything.

this is over done too - hard to explain why both GFS models are so different

fv3p_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_28.png

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

:facepalm:if you can't figure it out I am not going to tell you

Dude it’s weather it’s 100 % unpredictable. Gfs Para May be overdone but who’s to say it’s wrong, we don’t know that. We don’t know if the ukmet is wrong or jma or euro or any of these models. The truth is we don’t know and we won’t know for another few days at least so put down your know it all pipe.

thanks

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NYCweatherNOW said:

Dude it’s weather it’s 100 % unpredictable. Gfs Para May be overdone but who’s to say it’s wrong, we don’t know that. We don’t know if the ukmet is wrong or jma or euro or any of these models. The truth is we don’t know and we won’t know for another few days at least so put down your know it all pipe.

thanks

Wish we knew which damn model if any are right !!!! The FV3 would make up for a lot of what went wrong this winter = a boy can dream

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

Wish we knew which damn model if any are right !!!! The FV3 would make up for a lot of what went wrong this winter = a boy can dream

this is what we refer to as total model chaos which happens especially during pattern changes

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, JustinRP37 said:

Sure it can snow in late March and early April, but does that really do anything? Do you enjoy seeing snow for a few hours in spring? Honestly the reason people are throwing in the towel is because for most people merely having a snow storm isn’t enough. We want the snow to last. Enjoy real winter. Not 6 inches of snow fell overnight and it is gone by dinner time. Next week is the middle of February. Whether you want to believe it or not, the sun is heading towards the Tropic of Cancer. The sun will be higher and higher in the sky. We are now leaving our solar minimum for the year. Yes it can snow all the way to the beginning of May, but spring snow is never the same as January and early February true winter snow. 

Are you forgetting it’s stil early February? Some of our greatest storms of all time (including some of the coldest) have been centered around presidents week. I get it people are frustrated, non more so then me. But this towel throwing is getting old. If next week works out I’m really going to have to laugh. Even Upton is a believer 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Are you forgetting it’s stil early February? Some of our greatest storms of all time (including some of the coldest) have been centered around presidents week. I get it people are frustrated, non more so then me. But this towel throwing is getting old. If next week works out I’m really going to have to laugh. Even Upton is a believer 

LOL throwing in the towel is getting old? C'mon brother, ya'll know what has been getting old around these here parts... do I gotta spell it out for ya pardner? We all need a good storm here, no one will be laughing if one happens, trust me. They'll be crying tears of joy ( not me though, gotta draw the line somewhere ). It's true that Feb can deliver big snows, but in my experience, it's usually on the heels of some other events in Dec and Jan ( but not always, 2006 being an example ).

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

Jma is weenish

I know I'm a weenie and people think I chase everything but the Mjo is looking great with the high amplitudes. Usually with that, the PNA and AO should respond.

you were one of the few to call that november storm. nothing wrong with being a ween as long as expectations are realistic. there are conflicting signals next week, but there is still plenty of evidence that the pattern has changed enough for us to be in the game.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, TriPol said:

The blizzard of 2006 started off with the JMA showing a huge blizzard in the beginning of February with the title "FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY".  26.9 inches later, I was quite entertained!

Yeah and it had been a rather warm and uneventful winter too, I think it hit 72 in Jan..?, I was at the Philly zoo and people were wearing shorts IIRC. 

54 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I'm not disagreeing about next week. If we can get some good snow in here then good. What I am pointing out is people saying well what about last year? I personally think late March and April snow is rubbing it in our faces of what could have been. That being said, October 31st, 2011, was still the craziest snowstorm I have ever lived through. And I don't think people are throwing in the towel yet on this season, but if next week does not pan out, then yes that ledge will be full. 

1 hour ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

LBS help a brother out what is Upton saying ?

14 minutes ago, JustinRP37 said:

I'm not disagreeing about next week. If we can get some good snow in here then good. What I am pointing out is people saying well what about last year? I personally think late March and April snow is rubbing it in our faces of what could have been. That being said, October 31st, 2011, was still the craziest snowstorm I have ever lived through. And I don't think people are throwing in the towel yet on this season, but if next week does not pan out, then yes that ledge will be full. 

There are certainly some that are towel throwing. Some of it is personal bias. My personal bias is always twords snow, when ever and as much as possible. It means thousands of dollars to me. And I’m an avid snow boarder and winters last long above 2,000’ in Vermont. March is a full on winter month there. But that’s just me. On a more serious note, I agree there are major conflicting signals. I would put the chances of us seeing snow next week at 50/50. The storm could easily follow the seasonal trend and cut. What I’m excited for is what comes after. A super high amplitude 8/1 MJO is a money signal. 

• Like 1