Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
February 2019 General Discussion and Observation Thread

Stormlover74

11 hours ago, JustinRP37 said:

No they are not. It is the sea surface temperature (2m) anomaly based on the mean from 1981 to 2005. That is the standard used in oceanic studies at the time. No clue why it is different than the time period we use for air temperature normals. I have a background in aquatic studies, so I know this stuff. The sea surface is what affects our weather, which is what these maps are showing. Gain depth in water and you rapidly cool. World-wide ocean temp below 1000 meters is right around 4C. The thermocline in a given area does not change much. The sea surface is what varies throughout the year. This is actually one of the coolest properties of water, and hence why northern lakes can upwell twice a year. Water is most dense at 4C, after which it becomes less dense as it crystallizes into ice. Warmer than 4C and it becomes less dense as well. Hence why our warm water floats on the colder water in the summer. 

https://undark.org/article/hurricane-drone-rutgers/

55 minutes ago, JustinRP37 said:

Very cool article! Shows just what happens when you get some serious upwelling. We saw that a few times this summer too when got some upwelling and temps crashed. 

Plenty of high octane fuel off the US East Coast if we ever see a traditional benchmark storm. Notice the big temperature rise over the last few months. The tripole pattern has been in full swing in recent years with record SST’s off the East Coast.

C53D8FA8-AFF3-4703-9BFC-682105B3C8DD.png.0b6f4b3db1455b3ec802e1b3c87cf91b.png

092C8D02-721A-400A-8E38-10E6A784C68B.thumb.png.115eb205621160fa7777eb606fb86862.png

5 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Plenty of high octane fuel off the US East Coast if we ever see a traditional benchmark storm. Notice the big temperature rise over the last few months. The tripole pattern has been in full swing in recent years with record SST’s off the East Coast.

Exactly. I often get people asking why have we seen more substantial snowstorms if the nearby ocean is warm. I tell the the same thing, we got a lot of fuel that feeds the moisture into the system and throws it back to the coast. That is one reason I am holding out hope that we can at least approach normal snowfall levels. If we can get to above normal snowfall this year and next, then the 2010s will be the only decade on record with only 1 below average snowfall season. It is pretty spectacular actually. We just pretty much expect a lot of snow at this point.

14 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Approximately the same amount of time away from the solstice since the last similar temperature. I'm not sure what the significance of that is, if any, but it occurred to me so I pointed it out.

Hey, I tell ya what. This warm weather stuff is kind of nice so if you could just hold off on the cold talk some of us would appreciate it :) 

Tomorrow could be quite mild, especially if the rain departs early. Readings could surge well into the 50s with a few areas approaching or reaching 60°.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JustinRP37 said:

Exactly. I often get people asking why have we seen more substantial snowstorms if the nearby ocean is warm. I tell the the same thing, we got a lot of fuel that feeds the moisture into the system and throws it back to the coast. That is one reason I am holding out hope that we can at least approach normal snowfall levels. If we can get to above normal snowfall this year and next, then the 2010s will be the only decade on record with only 1 below average snowfall season. It is pretty spectacular actually. We just pretty much expect a lot of snow at this point.

We just need a favorable weather pattern to take advantage of it. Otherwise, the SE Ridge/WAR corrects stronger as we approach storm time with amplified systems.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

On the other hand it could also prevent suppression but yeah cutters have been the biggest concerns.

We haven’t been able to handle amped up systems with the pattern in place this winter. Notice the much warmer correction on the Friday storm than was showing up last week.

68BAFA7B-050B-4AFB-9D7D-AB84772C40FD.thumb.png.19aac43c55be446ceddc2e0da70fe6ac.png

13A8D104-703F-4B2B-8905-9D8FD9F096A0.thumb.png.a66e3258fea17cf3ee1fcf88e41be638.png

1 minute ago, Snow88 said:

Euro and CFS MJO forecast look great with nice amplitude into 8 and then 1.

Earthlight and others seem gungho on this upcoming pattern. 

This is the best looking pattern all winter with the strong epo ridge.

If we don't get a least an advisory snow event out of this pattern, I give up.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, bluewave said:

We haven’t been able to handle amped up systems with the pattern in place this winter. Notice the much warmer correction on the Friday storm than was showing up last week.

Yes but that's likely due to the unfavorable MJO. The MJO has mostly stayed in phases that amplified SE ridges.

For those few days it was in phase 8 or 2/3, suppression happened, so hopefully we get a happy medium.

54 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Yes but that's likely due to the unfavorable MJO. The MJO has mostly stayed in phases that amplified SE ridges.

For those few days it was in phase 8 or 2/3, suppression happened, so hopefully we get a happy medium.

Models beginning to show the forcing shifting to MJO 8-1 from the perma 4-6 so far. Very complex interaction this winter between MJO, weak El Niño, and perhaps low KB region Arctic sea ice. You can see the shifting Siberian High over the last few weeks. It’s no wonder models have been struggling so much with the long range forecasts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The first wave has a very good chance of doing something.  I wouldn’t even worry about that 2nd system til we have a clue what that first disturbance does 

yea that one will follow the seasonal pattern also - a dusting to an inch

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Snow88 said:

How can you be so certain it's going to be a rainstorm next week?

nothing to keep that cold high anchored in southern Canada - it moves out as that mid week storm approaches and it is able to cut into the lakes

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NYCweatherNOW said:

Zero consistency. I’m sure that’s not the final outcome give it a rest we all want us snow. Please get ur negative vibe outta here!

Models will change from now until next week but they are right though.

No blocking but we will have a strong negative epo . We have to see how strong it will be and where the transfer will be.