Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 2019 General Discussion and Observation Thread

Stormlover74

1 minute ago, Cfa said:

63 right now.

I don’t see how anyone can like cold more than this.

For me, 60 IS cold. 70 is comfortable, and 85 is "just warm". Yet, I refuse to buy a winter jacket. Last week, I was in shorts and a sweatshirt. I refuse to wear "warm" clothing even though I'm freezing. 

35 minutes ago, NYCweatherNOW said:

weather channel says snow for three days straight in dc sorry but it ain’t snowing in the upper 40’s

13508772-162F-4D12-9A01-E88A8EE900C3.png

That is not a snow forecast.   It shows exactly how many flakes will fall.   LOL

Speaking of flakes, JB is sure his cold and snowy 2/15--3/15 forecast will be right and start sooner.    It will be colder than the latest EURO Weeklies showed, which were mensa, mensa,-----he said today for the record.    The BN stuff barely gets here, when it checks out of the hotel under cover of darkness.

19 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Got bit by a lone star tick last year; ticks are pretty much active unless there is a big freeze going on. And they can survive a wash cycle too. And watch your pets as well. I have the treated socks; some experts are not impressed with Deet and recommend the treated clothes.

Permethrin is the best I'd say for tick prevention. the lone star tick is an active host seeker, unlike the blacklegged tick (aka deer tick). But yes the ticks will be out whenever we are not having typical winter weather. Normally this time of year every night should be below freezing or right around it, thus keeping the ticks down.  However, the deep freeze without snow cover is really detrimental to ticks, so maybe we can get the polar vortex here!

1 minute ago, NEG NAO said:

then why is it 60 at Seaside Heights ?

Good question. Multiple stations around that area were reporting over 55 degrees via Weather Underground. I think it might be that the AC Pier Station is over the water. Or, just poorly placed sensors. 

4 minutes ago, CIK62 said:

That is not a snow forecast.   It shows exactly how many flakes will fall.   LOL

Speaking of flakes, JB is sure his cold and snowy 2/15--3/15 forecast will be right and start sooner.    It will be colder than the latest EURO Weeklies showed, which were mensa, mensa,-----he said today for the record.    The BN stuff barely gets here, when it checks out of the hotel under cover of darkness.

he's gone from a 60 day period of cold/snow that would "Strain energy resources" to a 30 day period.   With no blocking, not sure how any cold is going to lock in.    That's part of the reasons the 2 arctic blasts were in and out so fast....

6 minutes ago, CarLover014 said:

Good question. Multiple stations around that area were reporting over 55 degrees via Weather Underground. I think it might be that the AC Pier Station is over the water. Or, just poorly placed sensors. 

the seaside beach was replenished now the pier is completely over sand which gives the wood pilings extra support

https://www.earthcam.com/usa/newjersey/seasideheights/?cam=seasideheights

23 minutes ago, CarLover014 said:

For me, 60 IS cold. 70 is comfortable, and 85 is "just warm". Yet, I refuse to buy a winter jacket. Last week, I was in shorts and a sweatshirt. I refuse to wear "warm" clothing even though I'm freezing. 

I don't leave the house once it gets over 85. I pump the AC and that's it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CIK62 said:

Why listen to him? He's a fool and probably got addled from steroid use. 

27 minutes ago, CarLover014 said:

Normally 60 is still slightly cold to me as well, but today’s sunshine and calm winds are making it feel quite warm.

Tired of dressing warm, I’m officially in spring/summer mode now, I want 70’s, 80’s, and 90’s ASAP.

26 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

63 here also.  It's actually surprising how warm it feels in the sun.

Agreed. Feels 70+ to me and I have on short sleeves.

3 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

I like it fine, just not in the middle of the winter. Just like I wouldn't want 30 degrees in July. Because it's abnormal.

60’s aren't abnormal in the winter, whereas 30’s in July are impossible.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

I like it fine, just not in the middle of the winter. Just like I wouldn't want 30 degrees in July. Because it's abnormal.

These temps are only 20-25 degrees AN today though (excluding some outliers), whereas 30's in July would be over 50 degrees BN.  A surge of warmth like this in winter is far more likely to occur than an "arctic outbreak" in July (in which 50's would even be a stretch).  

We almost always get thaws, but as Julian said, it's the fact that it's coming with beautiful sunny and dry conditions.  This is more reminiscent of a mid-to-late march day.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

No one  believes it because winter is apparently over

We don’t believe it yet because if we trusted LR guidance this year vertbatim we should have had tons of snow already. Once we actually see things getting closer  than day 10-15, the we can start talking about it. There are still many mixed signals, so anyone claiming an end to winter or the appearance of a super snowy pattern is just showing their bias. We cannot allow our personal biases guide our analysis. You cannot discount what you don’t ‘agree’ with. The pattern will be colder but as we just saw that might not translate to snowy for our area. We’ll see. I’m hopeful but too many mixed signals still. 

• Like 1