• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 2019 General Discussion and Observation Thread

Stormlover74

It's pretty incredible to have consecutive days this warm in the first week of February without being in the warm sector of a powerful cutter. Highs in the 50s and 60s are not unprecedented in winter, but they usually come accompanied by a deluge and roaring SW flow. To get this kind of prolonged warmth with fair to clear skies must be nearly as anomalous as the 80-degree day late last Feb, if not more so.

• Sad 2

16 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

It's pretty incredible to have consecutive days this warm in the first week of February without being in the warm sector of a powerful cutter. Highs in the 50s and 60s are not unprecedented in winter, but they usually come accompanied by a deluge and roaring SW flow. To get this kind of prolonged warmth with fair to clear skies must be nearly as anomalous as the 80-degree day late last Feb, if not more so.

Pretty impressive to see record highs coming so soon after record lows.

https://w2.weather.gov/climate/index.php?wfo=bgm

BGM

1-29-19....record low.... -10

2-4-19.....record high..... 56

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

To me this is far less anomalous than the 80 in Feb last year. I never imagined that was possible, especially on the coast. Is hitting 60 in mid winter that unusual? Seems like we have a big thaw once every winter.

Just now, Gravity Wave said:

To me this is far less anomalous than the 80 in Feb last year. I never imagined that was possible, especially on the coast. Is hitting 60 in mid winter that unusual? Seems like we have a big thaw once every winter.

I tried to touch on that in my original post. "Highs in the 50s and 60s are not unprecedented in winter, but they usually come accompanied by a deluge and roaring SW flow." Thaws are common, but this goes beyond the normal 18-hour dew extravaganza with snow-eating fog and 1.3" PWATs – this is bona fide spring wx.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I tried to touch on that in my original post. "Highs in the 50s and 60s are not unprecedented in winter, but they usually come accompanied by a deluge and roaring SW flow." Thaws are common, but this goes beyond the normal 18-hour dew extravaganza with snow-eating fog and 1.3" PWATs – this is bona fide spring wx.

I get that, but I still feel like days like this in early Feb are considerably more common than 80 in late Feb. Once every several years occurrence vs once every who knows how many years occurrence.

More conflicting signals today. While it appears that we do finally head into favorable MJO phases we also have potentially a positive AO on the way in the long term. That would be the ultimate kick to this winter. We finally get favorable tropical forcing only to have it ruined by a lack of cold air

• Haha 1

Be aware, if you are hiking outside and there is and has been bare ground for awhile, then ticks are a risk. Every year we get a huge thaw like this I get the question “this can’t possibly be a tick can it?”. Yes it sure can be a tick! Anytime we are above 40 degrees for a prolonged period you can see adult ticks. Luckily, these are the largest life stage so they are easy to find before they have a chance to transmit Lyme. Keep in mind many areas across the region now have the Asian longhorned tick. We are still learning more and more about these guys, so if you see any ticks that you don’t recognize, feel free to message me, especially if you are in the Yonkers area.

32 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

GFS is a parade of cutters next 10 days mixed in with colder intervals.  Same ol pattern....

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_30.png

you just posted that you don't understand why people do play by play on OP runs past 6 days and here you are doing it on the GFS OP ???

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

you just posted that you don't understand why people do play by play on OP runs past 6 days and here you are doing it on the GFS OP ???

I'm talking about the run in a general sense.   Not doing play by play on one storm and talking about rain/snow lines and who's getting what.  Big difference.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

More conflicting signals today. While it appears that we do finally head into favorable MJO phases we also have potentially a positive AO on the way in the long term. That would be the ultimate kick to this winter. We finally get favorable tropical forcing only to have it ruined by a lack of cold air

I’m not sure that’s legit.  Many ensemble members tank it right back down.  Honestly if the MJO goes strongly into phase 8-1-2 we probably don’t need a -AO or NAO.  We would be setup with a Rockies or west coast ridge in all likelihood and would prbosbly be able to sneak our way to a couple of snow events 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, winterwarlock said:

bring on spring....64 yesterday and now already 63...hoping to flirt with 70 even tho it may be a reach

You know it's not good to have anomalous warmth this early.

Early warm temperatures can trigger the growing season before it's time, which makes freezes far more damaging.

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

Pretty impressive to see record highs coming so soon after record lows.

https://w2.weather.gov/climate/index.php?wfo=bgm

BGM

1-29-19....record low.... -10

2-4-19.....record high..... 56

It's something that will grow more common in the future. Our climate is quickly losing its stable nature.

43 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

All of those forecasts have been all over the place. If the MJO goes to phase 8-1 then I expect the AO to correct with it.

31 minutes ago, JustinRP37 said:

Be aware, if you are hiking outside and there is and has been bare ground for awhile, then ticks are a risk. Every year we get a huge thaw like this I get the question “this can’t possibly be a tick can it?”. Yes it sure can be a tick! Anytime we are above 40 degrees for a prolonged period you can see adult ticks. Luckily, these are the largest life stage so they are easy to find before they have a chance to transmit Lyme. Keep in mind many areas across the region now have the Asian longhorned tick. We are still learning more and more about these guys, so if you see any ticks that you don’t recognize, feel free to message me, especially if you are in the Yonkers area.

Got bit by a lone star tick last year; ticks are pretty much active unless there is a big freeze going on. And they can survive a wash cycle too. And watch your pets as well. I have the treated socks; some experts are not impressed with Deet and recommend the treated clothes.