• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 2019 General Discussion and Observation Thread

Stormlover74

A storm brought generally 1"-3" snow and sleet to the region with some locally higher amounts today. This storm likely marks the beginning of the end of the winter 2018-19 snow drought.

The SOI was -23.34 today. That's the lowest figure since November 17, 2018 when the SOI was -25.26.

Today's preliminary value of the Arctic Oscillation (AO) was +2.410. That is the highest value since May 3, 2018 when the AO was +2.620. The preliminary average for meteorological winter is -0.304.

Based on historic experience (1950-2018) concerning high AO values in the February 1-15 period, more than half of the remaining days in February will likely feature a positive AO. However, negative values and possibly strongly negative values could develop during the last week of the month.

For the third consecutive day, Australia's Bureau of Meteorology reported no MJO data. However, based on model initialization (which is subject to some degree of error), the MJO was in Phase 7 on the February 11, but close to Phase 8.

Assuming the model initialization is accurate, it would likely reach Phase 8 in the next day. This is faster than what had previously been modeled and could result in a lag before the atmosphere responds.

Afterward, the outlook remains somewhat uncertain. The historical risks are somewhat weighted in favor of a possible return to Phase 7 from Phase 8 prior to any move to Phase 1. The bias-corrected GEFS still shows such an outcome, but the GEFS has moved away from it. The fog of uncertainty should begin to lift in coming days.

For now, it remains more likely than not that the MJO will either be in Phase 7 or 8 at mid-month.

A fairly stormy pattern is getting underway. Today's storm is sort of an appetizer for what lies ahead.

It likely won't be the last snowfall threat for February. There is now broad consensus on the global models concerning additional opportunities for snowfall over the next two weeks.

With some of the guidance continuing to suggest the development of the strongest westerly wind burst of the winter, the SOI could fall even farther in coming days. The SOI has a correlation to precipitation in the southern tier of the United States. In short, the subtropical jet could become increasingly active during the second half of February. That idea fits the development of a stormy pattern and the theme of opportunities for snowfall as the month progresses.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

That’s a nice setup for a stationary front which could produce wave after wave which could easily be 4-8 inch snowstorm.

44B1D667-BF1F-443E-92FC-4211157CD2B6.png

The image above could produce the big snowstorm. The eps shows other smaller events. Like 4-8. The image below is the one that would could produce multiple 4-8, the one above could be a slow moving Miller A nor’easter, and the big one. 

Theres a lot moving parts, I’m not good at checking past events but I’m sure the storm from Hawaii is the top image.

F6836480-2E1C-400A-9108-0B5E4141E771.png

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, New York Blizzard said:

The image above could produce the big snowstorm. The eps shows other smaller events. Like 4-8. The image below is the one that would could produce multiple 4-8, the one above could be a slow moving Miller A nor’easter, and the big one. 

Theres a lot moving parts, I’m not good at checking past events but I’m sure the storm from Hawaii is the top image.

Since when are 4-8 inch snowfalls small events for NYC? 6+ and that is a warning level snow. I would call 4-8 a moderate snowfall for sure. People forget that NYC's average snowfall amount really is not that impressive at 25.1 inches for 1981-2010. This decade has been really impressive averaging 38.4 inches. That being said, I like what I see in the mid-range for this season trying to salvage itself and get closer to average. It will still be a big undertaking, even with a favorable pattern to get to normal. It would actually be historic. People keep saying "remember last March", well March had 11.6, and April had 5.5. Even if we repeated that, we wouldn't be at average unless February, more specifically next week, truly starts to deliver. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, New York Blizzard said:

That’s a nice setup for a stationary front which could produce wave after wave which could easily be 4-8 inch snowstorm.

44B1D667-BF1F-443E-92FC-4211157CD2B6.png

F6836480-2E1C-400A-9108-0B5E4141E771.png

Some notes about that storm in Hawaii.

Hawaii recorded its lowest temperature ever at 11 degrees and lowest elevation for snowfall ever at 6600 ft.  They also recorded their highest ever wind gust at 191 mph!

12 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

A storm brought generally 1"-3" snow and sleet to the region with some locally higher amounts today. This storm likely marks the beginning of the end of the winter 2018-19 snow drought.

The SOI was -23.34 today. That's the lowest figure since November 17, 2018 when the SOI was -25.26.

Today's preliminary value of the Arctic Oscillation (AO) was +2.410. That is the highest value since May 3, 2018 when the AO was +2.620. The preliminary average for meteorological winter is -0.304.

Based on historic experience (1950-2018) concerning high AO values in the February 1-15 period, more than half of the remaining days in February will likely feature a positive AO. However, negative values and possibly strongly negative values could develop during the last week of the month.

For the third consecutive day, Australia's Bureau of Meteorology reported no MJO data. However, based on model initialization (which is subject to some degree of error), the MJO was in Phase 7 on the February 11, but close to Phase 8.

Assuming the model initialization is accurate, it would likely reach Phase 8 in the next day. This is faster than what had previously been modeled and could result in a lag before the atmosphere responds.

Afterward, the outlook remains somewhat uncertain. The historical risks are somewhat weighted in favor of a possible return to Phase 7 from Phase 8 prior to any move to Phase 1. The bias-corrected GEFS still shows such an outcome, but the GEFS has moved away from it. The fog of uncertainty should begin to lift in coming days.

For now, it remains more likely than not that the MJO will either be in Phase 7 or 8 at mid-month.

A fairly stormy pattern is getting underway. Today's storm is sort of an appetizer for what lies ahead.

It likely won't be the last snowfall threat for February. There is now broad consensus on the global models concerning additional opportunities for snowfall over the next two weeks.

With some of the guidance continuing to suggest the development of the strongest westerly wind burst of the winter, the SOI could fall even farther in coming days. The SOI has a correlation to precipitation in the southern tier of the United States. In short, the subtropical jet could become increasingly active during the second half of February. That idea fits the development of a stormy pattern and the theme of opportunities for snowfall as the month progresses.

Don does it look like we'll continue the pattern of the coastal huggers/runners that will result in more snow changing to rain scenarios?  The SE Ridge has been strong this winter (with minor interruptions during Arctic outbreaks)- really a continuation of the strong SE Ridge from the summer.

19 hours ago, 495weatherguy said:

I said this yesterday and people did not like it.  Specifically I said Long Island would be hard pressed to see even 1 much of accumulating snow before the changeover.  Not very well received

It's obviously the inexperienced who dont remember what the 80s were like and we live near an Ocean that will always scour out mid level cold air sooner than models forecast.

37 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Some notes about that storm in Hawaii.

Hawaii recorded its lowest temperature ever at 11 degrees and lowest elevation for snowfall ever at 6600 ft.  They also recorded their highest ever wind gust at 191 mph!

Amazing stats Liberty! Thanks for sharing. I learn something new here every day. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, bluewave said:

We need to pick up some snowfall during the brief period when the the PNA becomes more neutral. The EPS is indicating another big -PNA drop right after with a strong SE Ridge amplification.

9FDADC72-0CBE-4C42-BE3E-7B6911B6961D.thumb.png.2e5eeb836c8a3454d6b77982085aca58.png8A2A0BBD-8F3C-497F-95DB-07FD2DAB2417.thumb.png.ffe5897a9951daae248d1aaad47cee6b.png

Goes to show how bad a winter can get.

The MJO, AO and NAO all look to go favorable, then the PNA overrides all the positives.

I am shocked I was able to reach 10 inches on the season so far.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

The MJO, AO and NAO all look to go favorable, then the PNA overrides all the positives.

The contradictions in the Pacific are as extreme as it gets right now. A more Niña-like -PNA pattern for February with only a brief relaxation before dipping negative again later on. Couple that with the El Niño-like impressive - SOI drop and WWB.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The contradictions in the Pacific are as extreme as it gets right now. A more Niña-like -PNA pattern for February with only a brief relaxation before dipping negative again later on. Couple that with the El Niño-like impressive - SOI drop and WWB.

I wonder if there are any good analog years to compare with this. I have to admit its fascinating.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

15 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

I wonder if there are any good analog years to compare with this. I have to admit its fascinating.

Ugly for sure.  Just cant win this year.       I was trying to think of analogs too-can't think of any...

• Like 1