• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 2019 General Discussion and Observation Thread

Stormlover74

Gfs FV3 is a lot like like it’s brother gfs but a bit more amped and does change to rain. But it’s a bit more snow cause of heavier precipitation. 

Euro up to 120hrs is a lot less amped and colder. Let’s see how the run finishes

edit: euro is on board for a snowstorm here for next week.

Just now, Gravity Wave said:

Euro is snow to ice to rain, but it trended considerably colder than 0z with a much weaker primary as well. Hopefully these trends continue.

north of the city does better verbatim, but you're right the primary in the lakes is weaker but not weak enough to give us mostly snow....yet.   Better trends today for sure.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

north of the city does better verbatim, but you're right the primary in the lakes is weaker but not weak enough to give us mostly snow....yet.   Better trends today for sure.

Euro barely gets NYC above freezing now

The weaker the storm is the better

• Like 1

In an unusual occurrence, we actually have at least temporary near consensus on a storm 5 days out.  I'm guessing that's just a very unlikely coincidence and we'll see more divergence later.  Anyway, every major global model is now showing a weaker initial low, cutting towards the eastern Great Lakes and most show a weak secondary low forming near the coast.  

This means less precip, but also less warm air intrusion, meaning more snow than rain, but not a huge wintry event - more in the range of a 2-4/4-8" kind of event, with a ceiling of 10" and a floor of maybe 1-2".  Sign me up.  Note that, these numbers are per current models and are not a forecast, per se; also, note that all rain is extremely unlikely as currently modeled, but that could change, still.  

57 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

A big cutter is unlikely with the big pro ridge.

That’s not even a true classic EPO ridge. The setup is still horrible. I don’t believe secondary coastal development with no blocking in the Atlantic. Still -PNA, ++AO, ++NAO. This whole thing is going to turn out not the way you want it, I’m telling you

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

In an unusual occurrence, we actually have at least temporary near consensus on a storm 5 days out.  I'm guessing that's just a very unlikely coincidence and we'll see more divergence later.  Anyway, every major global model is now showing a weaker initial low, cutting towards the eastern Great Lakes and most show a weak secondary low forming near the coast.  

This means less precip, but also less warm air intrusion, meaning more snow than rain, but not a huge wintry event - more in the range of a 2-4/4-8" kind of event, with a ceiling of 10" and a floor of maybe 1-2".  Sign me up.  Note that, these numbers are per current models and are not a forecast, per se; also, note that all rain is extremely unlikely as currently modeled, but that could change, still.  

The way this winter is going a 2-4 inch event would be great, a 4-8 inch event would be awesome 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

That’s not even a true classic EPO ridge. The setup is still horrible. I don’t believe secondary coastal development with no blocking in the Atlantic. Still -PNA, ++AO, ++NAO. This whole thing is going to turn out not the way you want it, I’m telling you

Unfortunately I lean toward agreeing. The bigger risk here is more amped and warm rather than surpressed but hopefully the needle is thread well enough to give the area some wintry precip 

21 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

Unfortunately I lean toward agreeing. The bigger risk here is more amped and warm rather than surpressed but hopefully the needle is thread well enough to give the area some wintry precip 

Respectfully disagree, I think the confluence will shred that primary apart. Just look at the Ukmet.

31 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

It's not horrible at all. You don't need a -NAO/+PNA, the -EPO is causing a lot of confluence that will shred that primary and cause it to trend further south.

AO goes positive but tanks before mid-month. MJO may be in phase 8. It's not an ideal setup obviously and I think it'll play out as a SWFE with a snow to ice to rain setup. 

However given the strong high to the north, temps may not rise above freezing so Snow to Ice may be more likely. I'm thinking it'll be a 3-6 front-ender rn. 

All models have trended towards a much weaker, colder, strung out system, which would be a lot better for us. 

• Like 1

To me, this is all about heights in Canada.  Higher heights in Canada and some stronger surface HP and you've got less likelihood of inland runner ruining things.  You want some confluence in this scenario.   I think there's an interesting analog from Feb '08 that was a fairly similar scenario.  Not ideal, but similar.  

33 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Snowman vs. an entire model consensus. classic!

if it does turn out the way you are implying (strong primary into the lakes) which I said yesterday had a 50/50 chance and today is down to 25/75 you will be here with I told you so. If not, you will be mia for sure 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, jfklganyc said:

Just reading the threads and the model updates...this all looks very familiar. 

Like we did this same exact thing 2 weeks ago. 

Just saying...

I don’t recall this amount of model concensus 5 days out. 2 weeks ago there wasn’t concensus and whatever snow was shown on a model or two or three fell apart between day 7 and day 5 if I recall and the last straggler holding on to a snow storm caved around day 5 then. We’re definitely ahead of where we’ve been recently but still a ways to go.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1