Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 2019 General Discussion and Observation Thread

Stormlover74

3 minutes ago, bluewave said:

If the MJO can progress through 8 to 1, then we have a legit shot at a -EPO for mid to late February. Phase 1 in February is one of the strongest -EPO phases.

Yes but we have to take into account the lag times. The EPS has the fastest progression to phase 8 (Feb 11), the others don't get there till the 16/17th, so we may not even see the results until last week of Feb. 

2 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Yes but we have to take into account the lag times. The EPS has the fastest progression to phase 8 (Feb 11), the others don't get there till the 16/17th, so we may not even see the results until last week of Feb. 

Still not too late, especially after experiencing the epic March and April last year.

Obviously I doubt we see that again, but even 33.33% of that would be more than welcome.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Someone in another thread made an argument that normal Nino MJO phases wouldn't apply in a winter without Nino forcing.

Or at the very least it wouldn't have as much of an impact.

And last year, we went through Phase 8 through late February. Did that person forget the La Niña from last winter? The point is the effects aren't too different.

the last 30 days averaged 30.8 in Central Park...the average coldest 30 day period is 29.0 since 1930...probably the coldest 30 day period of the winter...last year the city had 30 days that averaged 27.1 from Dec into Jan...2015 had one averaging 23.9...1977 has the lowest in recent times at 21.9...1997-98 has the highest at 37.3...2016-17 had one at 36.4...

22 minutes ago, NittanyWx said:

This mid-Feb period is the narrow window I was referencing last week.  Period with a true phase 8 forcing, less hostile Pac side and potential for +PNA.  If we're gonna pull off a snow storm, that's your best chance for Feb.

I don't think we'll see a +PNA, looks mostly -EPO driven with eventual Atlantic blocking.

Best case it ends up like Feb 1969. 

A higher amplitude phase 8-1 would be ideal, so I'm rooting for the EPS.

1 hour ago, SnoSki14 said:

Someone in another thread made an argument that normal Nino MJO phases wouldn't apply in a winter without Nino forcing.

Or at the very least it wouldn't have as much of an impact.

Only phase 7 is different in Nino vs. Nina. 7 is bad in Nina But phase 3 becomes good.