• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kgottwald
    Newest Member
    kgottwald

January 29-30, 2019 Arctic FROPA

Absolutely yuugge flakes, tremendous in size, falling like little feathers down onto the ground perhaps the biggest we’ve ever seen 

Tom T. likes our chances for snow showers and squalls tomorrow. I know we don't take the RPM seriously but it did show a definitive squall line diving through the region on his future cast.

• Like 1

Just now, Kleimax said:

Absolutely yuugge flakes, tremendous in size, falling like little feathers down onto the ground perhaps the biggest we’ve ever seen 

This is the heaviest snow I've experienced since moving to Maryland in fall 2016.  I'm just up the road by WMPT.

• Like 1

Just now, leesburg 04 said:

Light snow nothing to speak of in this god forsaken hole called Connecticut 

HEY!

I told you wagons north.

Watch out for snow squalls tomorrow though that is looking legit. ;) 

• Haha 1

i might have lucked out with that last band.  huge flakes for about a half hour.  pretty sure it put down an inch here.  overall, a nice event.

now onto tomorrow/Friday.

• Like 1

Heavy final band moving through now. No accumulation Downtown dc. Imagine DCA will end up with nothing for this event 

Just now, real said:

Heavy final band moving through now. No accumulation Downtown dc. Imagine DCA will end up with nothing for this event 

yup...is it even snowing?  I'm looking out the window at work and it is hard to tell...what an epic disaster of a storm

1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

HEY!

I told you wagons north.

Watch out for snow squalls tomorrow though that is looking legit. ;) 

If IAD measured 3" and if my house is anywhere close to that measurement that puts me around 20" not an awful first 2 months of winter I'd say

• Like 2

Just now, Deck Pic said:

yup...is it even snowing?  I'm looking out the window at work and it is hard to tell...what an epic disaster of a storm

I’m with ya. Worst event of the past two seasons hands down.

Just now, Deck Pic said:

Nothing here, everything from before melted.

Just now, Deer Whisperer said:

aaaaaaaand prince William is closed

I can see this time.  Temp plummeting.  Should be an icy mess all day.  Not a bad call. 

Just now, BristowWx said:

I can see this time.  Temp plummeting.  Should be an icy mess all day.  Not a bad call. 

Yup, roads already very slushed already and will get worse. 

Just now, BristowWx said:

i agree, considering they closed last friday for essentially nothing. tomorrow is perfectly legit, especially with a high of 35 and that probably wont happen with snowpac

Looking back on this semi-disaster for the inner suburbs and DC, I'l like an explanation for why my temperature plummeted from 40 to 34 from onset to just as the snow started accumulating but hasn't budged even a tenth of a degree since, despite the sun going down and bursts of moderate to heavy snow. If it had followed a linear trend I would have been at 32 or 31 like many others and probably done better, as well as downtown. But it seems like the wet bulbing or whatever just stopped at a certain point, and snow actually started to melt.

Edit: I'm not surprised at the outcome in heat island hell, but it was a little frustrating as I felt like we were ahead of schedule at 4 pm and then it all went downhill. Not your usual UHI bust, where you're too warm at onset and can't cool down fast enough.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, T. August said:

I’m with ya. Worst event of the past two seasons hands down.

I think part of the issue was timing. Seems the entire event came and went sooner than had been forecast. I didn’t even think it was supposed to change over in DC until 5 pm., allowing what fell to occur after sunset. Instead, entire event is over at sunset. 

1 inch. Nothing on road. Or sidewalk. A bit lame in eastern PW, but it's better than zilch. The proper folks cashed in so it feels like old times. 

11 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

This is the heaviest snow I've experienced since moving to Maryland in fall 2016.  I'm just up the road by WMPT.

In LA fitness parking lot now this is magical 

01AFAA6C-D074-469E-9866-F468C7FF1066.jpeg

• Like 4