Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 29-30, 2019 Arctic FROPA

WxUSAF

4 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

HRRR really picking up the squall for tomorrow now. We are on the southern edge, but it looks like a real fun event for NJ and NYC. It really blows up as it approaches the coast and isn't the razor thin line we've seen on guidance.

definitely some great signals on the hi-res guidance.    The Hi-Res Windows (particularly the NMMB and ARW2) look awesome

Screen Shot 2019-01-29 at 8.41.23 PM.png

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

HRRR really picking up the squall for tomorrow now. We are on the southern edge, but it looks like a real fun event for NJ and NYC. It really blows up as it approaches the coast and isn't the razor thin line we've seen on guidance.

Looks really solid for areas north of us, hope we can catch the southern edge. 

B78AD83F-C1A2-4236-8A9A-4B62E8EF6B87.png

34 minutes ago, BlizzardNole said:

My snow is so wet and dense that my electric snowblower quickly choked on it.  Had to just use the shovel.

They didn't do our streets and it's like 1-2" of slush.  Going to be a sheet of ice tomorrow morning.

Mine too. Pretty dense. I’ll try to get a water content later. 

From Mount Holly-

The biggest impacts from the arctic front that will be felt tomorrow are the winds and the potential for snow squalls. It looks like a pretty good set up for convective snow showers and even snow squalls near and just behind the front. There is significant low and mid level frontogenesis and low stability in the low and mid levels (as evidenced both by CAPE values in model soundings and low equivalent potential vorticity values). The one aspect that is lacking is moisture, which will be quite limited. None the less, think there is a potential, primarily in the 15 to 21Z time frame. Have included a mention of snow showers in the forecast, but will not be issuing any winter weather advisories as it would be better covered by snow squall warnings, if the squalls develop. If they do develop, expect localized significant impacts including a quick accumulation, reduced visibility, and locally higher winds.

50 minutes ago, Allisong said:

Back from a Jeb Walk. It’s absolutely beautiful out here tonight. 

2C3C3532-C16E-406C-943C-2BFF09F90200.jpeg

Thanks for the photo! The trees are iced over and toped with a bit of snow here too- same with the roads and sidewalk. 

• Like 1

The Rt.123/I-495 snow fence held up long enough for those west and north of there to keep almost all the s***!

Now all I have to worry about is the flashfreeze icing.  Down to 24 at DCA at 4 am.

OPM probably threw the feds a bone so they can see the ice this morning and hopefully not get into wrecks.

Same for Arlington:

Weds, Jan. 30: All APS schools and offices will open 2 hours late. Extended Day will also open 2 hours late and morning field trips are canceled. Essential personnel and food service workers should report to work at their scheduled time. All other employees should report to work two hours past their usual start time. We will reconfirm or update this status by 6:00 am.

Ditto for Alexandria public schools:

Important Message

• Alert-2-hour-delay.png

WEATHER ALERT: For Wednesday, January 30, 2019, all ACPS schools and offices are opening two hours late.

Kindergarten through grade 12 and Virginia Preschool Initiative (VPI) students report two hours later than regular opening time.

Morning pre-K programs (Early Childhood Special Education and Preschoolers Learning Together) report two hours later than regular opening time, and dismiss one hour later than usual. Afternoon pre-K reports one hour later than regular opening time and is dismissed at the regular time.

All non-essential personnel should report two hours later than their regular time.

Essential personnel report at regular time.

To complete the inner suburb set, Falls Church:

FCCPSAlert

Falls Church City Public Schools will operate on a 2-hour delay, Wednesday, January 30th. Day Care will open at 8 am. No Drop-Ins will be accepted. As a result of the delay, there will be no Early Release except for some students at Jessie Thackrey Preschool. We will continue to monitor weather overnight and adjust schedule if needed by 6am.

To complete the inner set:

MoCO and PG 2-hour delays

No announcement from DCPS (and probably won't be one)

And for those of you thinking OPM caved yesterday:

Not all Feds live east and south of the RT 123/I495 snow fence.  Some commute from far west of Dulles, which hit freezing at 3 pm.  Leaving DC at 1:30, those in Sterling barely had time to get home first.

I think OPM also feared a repeat of Carmageddon (26 Jan 2011), where I bolted early and barely could see through the ice forming on my windshield to cross the Potomac and slide home.  Those who waited for OPM to make the call were SOL.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic