SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 29-30, 2019 Arctic FROPA

WxUSAF

1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

HEY!

I told you wagons north.

Watch out for snow squalls tomorrow though that is looking legit. ;) 

If IAD measured 3" and if my house is anywhere close to that measurement that puts me around 20" not an awful first 2 months of winter I'd say

• Like 2

Looking back on this semi-disaster for the inner suburbs and DC, I'l like an explanation for why my temperature plummeted from 40 to 34 from onset to just as the snow started accumulating but hasn't budged even a tenth of a degree since, despite the sun going down and bursts of moderate to heavy snow. If it had followed a linear trend I would have been at 32 or 31 like many others and probably done better, as well as downtown. But it seems like the wet bulbing or whatever just stopped at a certain point, and snow actually started to melt.

Edit: I'm not surprised at the outcome in heat island hell, but it was a little frustrating as I felt like we were ahead of schedule at 4 pm and then it all went downhill. Not your usual UHI bust, where you're too warm at onset and can't cool down fast enough.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, T. August said:

I’m with ya. Worst event of the past two seasons hands down.

I think part of the issue was timing. Seems the entire event came and went sooner than had been forecast. I didn’t even think it was supposed to change over in DC until 5 pm., allowing what fell to occur after sunset. Instead, entire event is over at sunset. 

8 minutes ago, weatherCCB said:

1.5” here.

Identical but considering we probably live less than 5 miles from each other we should be the same. Lol. One thing that is undeniably positive about this winter is the few events we've had have met or exceeded expectation. That counts cuz the MA is usually the land of disappointment 

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, gopper said:

back to moderate snow in Towson after a lul.  Looks like this final band has really consolidated...hope it has not lost its punch.  Would like to see an inch out of the final band.

I’ve only got 1/2 an inch just south of you down charles. Earlier snow mostly melted before it started accumulating.

1 minute ago, NorthArlington101 said:

My family says 1.75” in NW Arlington. Made them check the car and grass. Can anyone else confirm? Seems high, but usually they measure low.

f9ecdfe60f1307342e2cbe821f4223e5.jpg

I didn't measure, but I drove up to Minor's Hill near the Williamsburg Shopping Center and it was a winter wonderland, sidewalks and side streets totally covered while around Cherrydale they were just wet. That's the highest point in Arlington (460 ft). If you live around there 1.5 or 1.75 seems reasonable. Very elevation dependent storm as others have said.

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic