Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 29-30, 2019 Arctic FROPA

WxUSAF

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

Hrrr been consistently showing light snow breaking out around sunrise in central Md.  Temps in the 20s so immediate stickage for sure . Hopefully a quick inch before the main front energy comes thru . 3k is wicked cold by Wednesday early evening here ..man :shiver::twister:

really strange in that it looks like it's snowing pretty good according to the reflectivity, but there is no precip accumulated.    Looking at the soundings, it's insanely dry in the low levels, so I guess it's virga, but it seems odd that it would snow decently for a few hours and never reach the ground.       It's also surprising that the HRRR takes much of the area into the low 40s during the early afternoon.

1 minute ago, high risk said:

really strange in that it looks like it's snowing pretty good according to the reflectivity, but there is no precip accumulated.    Looking at the soundings, it's insanely dry in the low levels, so I guess it's virga, but it seems odd that it would snow decently for a few hours and never reach the ground.       It's also surprising that the HRRR takes much of the area into the low 40s during the early afternoon.

Seems doubly odd because virga would bring down temps via mixing, no?

11 minutes ago, Ji said:

18z euro maps should be banned unless they show more snow. Please stop showing them if they drier than 12z

I wish the euro didn't add off hour runs. Being serious too. I had a hunch it would add to confusion instead of adding value. Nothing specifc to this event because 12 & 18z are basically identical. 

Gfs should ditch off hour runs and the money that's saved should be used to improve the model. Isn't the nam supposed to start running hourly sometime soon? Could you just imagine an hourly nam out to 84 hours... oh man would this place a disaster. 24 consecutive nam hours daily...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, eurojosh said:

Seems doubly odd because virga would bring down temps via mixing, no?

yes, but the HRRR warming occurs after the precip shuts off

edit:  and as expected, with that warm afternoon, the temperatures barely drop in time to give us a pity amount of wet snow at the end of the rain

Just now, Bob Chill said:

Gfs should ditch off hour runs and the money that's saved should be used to improve the model. Isn't the nam supposed to start running hourly sometime soon? Could you just imagine an hourly nam out to 84 hours... oh man would this place a disaster. 24 consecutive nam hours daily...

That would literally break this board, but the plan to run the NAM in hourly rapid refresh mode was scrapped many months ago.

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

I like the nam 3k soundings for my yard. 35 and all snow at onset then drops to 33 with decent snowgrowth from 18z onwards. 

This will overperform for you Bob.  I can feel it. I feel like I will underperform and it will be a disappointment.  I tell my wife that and it often comes true.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Is there something going on with the temperatures on these models? I noticed last night my area got to 24 degrees last night, the forecast was 29. Tonight my low was 28 and I'm already at 24. I guess maybe it's just the time of year for temps being lower than forecasted. 

Just now, lpaschall said:

For you or the entire forum?

Looks like most of the forum, from tonight's models the best case scenario is a sloppy inch. The 00z HRRR was actually all rain in DC and Baltimore and mostly rain all the way up to the Mason Dixon line. Not much precip either. The NAM did have an isolated 2" band through Rockville into the IAD area but for the rest of the forum was a coating or less. 

From living here for a while, there’s a one thing that usually holds true. Cold fronts rarely, if ever, bring significant snow along the 81 corridor. This is just not a scenario in which we do well out here.The famed squall line from a few years ago that brought a decent snow east of here brought about a ten minute burst of snow here. Tomorrow I fully expect to see a very short period of light snow, perhaps enough to put a dusting on everything, 1/2” or less. I also expect to see the radar bloom just on the other side of the blue ridge and give a general 1-3” snow to the areas north and east of Winchester. We might get a surprise out here but I think it wise to prepare for a disappointing winter weather event out here.

The only way I could see a better outcome is if the front slowed a bit as it passes. Still, I view this one with very skeptical eyes.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

From living here for a while, there’s a one thing that usually holds true. Cold fronts rarely, if ever, bring significant snow along the 81 corridor. This is just not a scenario in which we do well out here.The famed squall line from a few years ago that brought a decent snow east of here brought about a ten minute burst of snow here. Tomorrow I fully expect to see a very short period of light snow, perhaps enough to put a dusting on everything, 1/2” or less. I also expect to see the radar bloom just on the other side of the blue ridge and give a general 1-3” snow to the areas north and east of Winchester. We might get a surprise out here but I think it wise to prepare for a disappointing winter weather event out here.

The only way I could see a better outcome is if the front slowed a bit as it passes. Still, I view this one with very skeptical eyes.

I agree. We are done. And most of the guidance agrees with both of us. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, BaltimoreWxGuy said:

I think people are over analyzing temps a little. Yes they may be running colder right now but they may likely rise a little overnight. That will balance it out. 

What feature would cause temps to rise overnight? It’s currently 27 with no wind clear skies and a dew in the mid teens where i am. Not asking to stir controversy just curious

• Like 2

Just now, SnowGolfBro said:

What feature would cause temps to rise overnight? It’s currently 27 with no wind clear skies and a dew in the mid teens where i am. Not asking to stir controversy just curious

My P&C graph shows my temp rising slowly from 29 now to 32 by daybreak.  Hitting 40 by 18z.  Will be interesting tomorrow to see if I hit 40 or not.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic