• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 29-30, 2019 Arctic FROPA

WxUSAF

I mean, maybe this is a step back to just a quick squall line and you get your coating to an inch depending upon if you get the stronger part of the line or not, but it's one run. I'm not jumping yet. And just a squall line, if it's like some of the better ones we've had in the past, would still be a really fun event.

• Like 1

Just now, osfan24 said:

I actually thought that was a disappointing run of the NAM.

It’s in line with other models qpf wise.  I think the upside is like 0.4 qpf and that may be generous. But a burst of .25 in a short window will be fun nonetheless.

The NAM is tough to decipher.  It is really hitting on a squally frontal passage at about 3z for the DC metro.  What exactly is the precip type?  I’m not sure I’d stick out my neck on either.

Another thing to point out - the cold is relatively pedestrian with the frontal passage.  It is the second pulse late in the day on Wednesday that really brings the chill.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, LP08 said:

It’s in line with other models qpf wise.  I think the upside is like 0.4 qpf and that may be generous. But a burst of .25 in a short window will be fun nonetheless.

By the time the flip happens (if it does as each run the bl is increasingly warmer) most of the 700-850mb fronto lift is thru the area and flying on ENE. White rain at best. Hopefully we can cash in on some squalls associated with the PV pinwheeling around as it wobbles by to the N on wed-thurs. That may actually be the 'biggest event' of the week imo....not the fropa nor the upcoming weekend.

1 minute ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

By the time the flip happens (if it does as each run the bl is increasingly warmer) most of the 700-850mb fronto lift is thru the area and flying on ENE. White rain at best. Hopefully we can cash in on some squalls associated with the PV pinwheeling around as it wobbles by to the N on wed-thurs. That may actually be the 'biggest event' of the week imo....not the fropa nor the upcoming weekend.

You know, I hadn’t looked at surface temps.  Mid levels seemed ok but always assumed the surface would eventually be ok due to the big bad PV coming down.  I still think the Fropa has legs for a fun couple of hours on Tuesday night.  I’ve always thought this was a 1-3 type deal so I’m still sticking with that.

Just now, LP08 said:

You know, I hadn’t looked at surface temps.  Mid levels seemed ok but always assumed the surface would eventually be ok due to the big bad PV coming down.  I still think the Fropa has legs for a fun couple of hours on Tuesday night.  I’ve always thought this was a 1-3 type deal so I’m still sticking with that.

My bar is at 0.5”...more than that and I’m happy considering we don’t usually do well in these types of setups.  

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Just looking back at the 18z GFS, the wind profile post-front quickly changes back to SWerly early in the day on Wednesday.  The GFS doesn’t get any QPF to us with the good pulse late in the day on Wednesday, but that would be the perfect time for a squall.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

Just looking back at the 18z GFS, the wind profile post-front quickly changes back to SWerly early in the day on Wednesday.  The GFS doesn’t get any QPF to us with the good pulse late in the day on Wednesday, but that would be the perfect time for a squall.

NWS Mount Holly mentioned this afternoon they were monitoring for possible snow showers and squalls on Weds with the real push of cold air. I have not read any updates recently.  

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

One of the trends I don't like in the upper levels is guidance is moving away from the elongated pv and sharp negative tilt. The 12z euro run yesterday is one of the runs that looked really good at h5. 

Dissapointing dependability on the Euro, even at short range.  I said yesterday rather have that model in my corner when all the other models were really not showing it. I beg to differ now. 

Just now, Chris78 said:

Do you know how the 18z and 6z Euro runs are scoring compared to the traditional runs? 

Not really, I follow several sources, but have not heard any stats about scoring on the 18z and 6z compared to traditional runs. 

What I have heard, as you know, those off hour runs of the Euro are useful for trend analysis.     

• Thanks 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic