Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Post Arctic front snow Tuesday, Jan 29

Cheeznado

38 minutes ago, LithiaWx said:

Kids in the entire Atlanta metro are out of school for a little rain and some drizzle.  Most of us didn’t even see a flake.  Not a single damn flake.  

it was pretty insane how much local media was playing it up. Even for the south it seemed absurd. glad you got to srr at least a few flakes though. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lookout said:

it was pretty insane how much local media was playing it up. Even for the south it seemed absurd. glad you got to srr at least a few flakes though. 

It is all hyped up from the Traffic debacle last year (or the year before?). We all cannot win for losing in our respective area(s). This is undoubtedly the toughest regions to forecast for snow. Hope all is well man!  

The Carolinas need to keep an eye on ULL development. Correct? This setup can really spawn one. Especially the counties adjacent to the Mountains. Just saying that this needs to be watched until the system has totally passed through. No weenie hope here. Just stating my two pennies based on past history, climatology, etc:

http://www.theweatherprediction.com/habyhints/2/

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rankin5150 said:

It is all hyped up from the Traffic debacle last year (or the year before?). We all cannot win for losing in our respective area(s). This is undoubtedly the toughest regions to forecast for snow. Hope all is well man!  

The bad forecast on 12/8/17 might have played into it more than the 2014 incident.  It was really a close call there last year.  The only reason 2014 didn’t repeat that day is the road temps stayed warm til sunset otherwise it was same thing all over.  My understanding is no closures occurred that day because too many days had been lost in September due to Irma so the school districts took a chance of staying open 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rankin5150 said:

The Carolinas need to keep an eye on ULL development. Correct? This setup can really spawn one. Especially the counties adjacent to the Mountains. Just saying that this needs to be watched until the system has totally passed through. No weenie hope here. Just stating my two pennies based on past history, climatology, etc:

http://www.theweatherprediction.com/habyhints/2/

Was just thinking the same thing. Although, it seems that points east of Raleigh tend to do better with the ULL surprise snow

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BornAgain13 said:

Temperature dropping rapidly here in Dry Fork, down to 43 from 48... once in the upper 30s, should start seeing some flakes...

Please Lord don't you bank on seeing flakes here.  The daytime temps are stubborn (just watch the temp animation) and the moisture will be long gone by the time you see much of a changeover.  This has fail for 98.5% of the people in this forum and 99% of the TV forecasters written all over it.  A black ice advisory is really all that merited any discussion IMO outside of any elevated areas.  

Cold chasing moisture never wor.........well, you know already.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, superjames1992 said:

Dang, this didn't even work out in AL/MS as far as I can tell (nevermind east of the Appalachians which you figured wasn't going to happen).  And they canceled school in some of these areas, too.  Disaster.

That seems to me to be a rather questionable definition of a disaster.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, eyewall said:

Had a burst of small hail/graupel a little earlier on I-40 by RDU.

Yeah I am more excited about a a decent squall with graupel and wind than any token backside flakes that probably isnt going to happen anyways, going from 62 to 32 in 3-4 hrs is much more cooler to me....

• Like 1