Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 2019 Discussion I

NorEastermass128

17 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

In the words of George Clooney from Perfect Storm...."She's not gonna let us out".

As long as that EPO ridging keeps reloading, we will be sucked back into threats and there will be no real warmth outside of cutters. 1980s pattern if that happens. Hopefully we just get on the good side of the gradient for a few storms....and hopefully the PNA ridge starts popping as guidance is trying to show now near month-end.

I'm starting to like the Monday threat though.

Wishful thinking huh? This is my 5th winter up here and I don't think I have seen a true Spring yet, except in February the last 2 years lol. I guess I should just get used to it and expectations should be held for May, not March.

GEFS have a bit of a PNA ridge developing, hopefully they are right. But like you said, as long as Canada is cold, it will keep dumping it south with the -EPO hanging around....

Dare we say a widespread 4-8, all snow event for the holiday?

Funny how that seems seasonally endemic... the snow pack retention vs failure. 

Some years yes... the pack ain't goin' nowhere.

Other years, just seem to go out of their way to melt down the snow pack to bear Earth before "allowing" it to snow again.. .heh.  Kidding but it does seem like if snows 4" ... if takes 20 days to melt it off, it will wait 20 days before it snows again... If it takes 10 days to melt it off... it snows on D11 ... It's like an agenda NOT to have snow sustain across two disparate events. 

Fascinating... but this year appears similar to this latter ilk.  I have had this 4" combination of sleet/snow/gunk at four distinct different times now, and the season did not produce anything else until each one was down to mud and frozen bear Earth.  

If trend persistence was the singular indicator ... my bet would be that Monday or whatever new threat-meme is is hot right now ...won't do shit until whatever we call this glacial remains from this last event is scoured clear and clean of the soil.   Haha... 

Yeah, it's probably all coincidence that things have worked out this way... But, I have actually noticed that similar antic in previous years... where there does seem an uncanny tendency to not snow until whatever's in the pack is gone.   interesting.

2 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Would need more amplification on the Mon-Tues deal up here, But the one that follows could be a good one too depending on what the first one does.

I'm still holding my breath on the Friday warmth/rain.  It looks like we avoid anything really bad but I still worry.

Just now, mreaves said:

I'm still holding my breath on the Friday warmth/rain.  It looks like we avoid anything really bad but I still worry.

I'm not, P/C has some lt snow here with a high of 39°F, Not much qpf with that one, Been like that for a few days now, The big cutter with floods to QUE shipped sailed several days back.

23 minutes ago, dryslot said:

I'm not, P/C has some lt snow here with a high of 39°F, Not much qpf with that one, Been like that for a few days now, The big cutter with floods to QUE shipped sailed several days back.

Our club has our annual poker run this Saturday and the trails here were just a complete skating rink.   This 7"-8" will groom out nicely and I want them to stay that way.

Just now, mreaves said:

Our club has our annual poker run this Saturday and the trails here were just a complete skating rink.   This 7"-8" will groom out nicely and I want them to stay that way.

I don't believe you have much to worry about honestly, I would think that may be snow over where you are, No?

The Euro just will not give up on this SE ridge flex it's arcing D6-10...  We'll see what the 12z cluster does here soon.

The EPS' displays over at Tropical Tids are, as usual, reflecting some tempered version of the operational, but they too have been demonstrative and consistent.  

The GEFs derived teleconnectors actually give plenty of conceptual room for something like that or its blend... with a modestly negative EPO, and an on-going raging -PNA.... Yet, the operational GFS keeps trying to buck that tapestry and goes for a zonal, albeit, amplified flow with lots of rapid fire pac waves.  

All that after a season of heart ache and sorrow, too... Makes it that much harder to envision how all that ends well for winter enthusiasts. it's called conditioning ... 

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

Mammoth gets that level snow a lot.  Basically who gives a shit if we’re not there....although I remember one year they had to clear paths for the chair lifts snow was so deep.

Yea no, record set today and I find records interesting even if its not imby but I will remember this next time you post about Chicago 

• Like 1