• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 2019 Discussion I

NorEastermass128

It sure would be nice to have one of them there big 'uns show up in the models and stay somewhat consistent moving from Fantasy Land into reality.  It feels like it has been a while since we have seen one of those, odds are this won't one won't hold up 8 days out (sure would be nice if it did though).

50 minutes ago, weathafella said:

If this can pull a March 1960 can next winter give us a 1960-61?   I’m asking for a friend (tamarack)

Great for your area.  That 3/56-2/61 stretch was incredible, with 7 storms 18-24" at our place.  The rest of my 21 years at that Jersey Highlands location featured just 2, both 18", in Jan. 1964 and Feb. 1969 (the Lindsay Storm.) 
Not so great for up here - while NYC was piling up about 70" from March 1960-Feb. 1961, Farmington had 54, compared to their average of 90.  Suppression was the story for most of NNE.

I was watching my flight radar app last night as some of the planes flying to Europe or just headed east towards the East Coast were showing ground speeds in excess of 750mph. That's unheard. Conversely, flights headed west from Boston were at speeds of only 300-350mph at 38,000ft. That's one hell of a tail wind and head wind respectively 

When we flew from Tokyo to SFO (great circle route) in March 2016, the seatback tracker showed ground speeds up to 800 mph as we were passing closest to the Aleutians.  Heading west ten days earlier (CHI-HNL) ground speeds averaged 450 and were lower at times.

On 2/13/2019 at 3:24 PM, Typhoon Tip said:

No ...there really isn't anything "mild" about that Euro look..

It's a giant destructive interference ... not sooner does an active pacific eject S/W into the west, they then get mincemeat by the bulbous bitch boob over Georgia.   

The more I reflect on matters.. .it's just been a stalwart, undeviating -PNA winter and there does not appear to be any countermanding forces capable of usurping it as dictator.  These non-committal -EPO deviations are only adding to it by dropping coupled trough through Pac NW but never maturing them into an eventual +PNAP roll-out... It just needs a comet impact to alter - 

Nice succinct summary from last week.

Wonder if this is finally a turning point. For Feb 27-28 Euro and EPS start to finally build a west coast ridge that looks to last through D10. It's not robust yet for Feb 27-28 and we need help of that little weak blocking that Will mentioned to get that track under us.

2 minutes ago, tamarack said:

I was watching my flight radar app last night as some of the planes flying to Europe or just headed east towards the East Coast were showing ground speeds in excess of 750mph. That's unheard. Conversely, flights headed west from Boston were at speeds of only 300-350mph at 38,000ft. That's one hell of a tail wind and head wind respectively 

When we flew from Tokyo to SFO (great circle route) in March 2016, the seatback tracker showed ground speeds up to 800 mph as we were passing closest to the Aleutians.  Heading west ten days earlier (CHI-HNL) ground speeds averaged 450 and were lower at times.

You must have flown with a super fast jet streak with that flight also.

Pilots were really taking advantge of the extreme jet stream last night as flights from the West Coast going to Europe were flying over Southern New England to catch the heavy tail winds instead of taking the Great Circle Route up through Central Canada like they usually do. Interesting stuff

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

EPS pretty much went wild for their whole run...multiple storm chances even after the Feb 27 threat. Prob the best run all winter actually in terms of pattern and storm look. Arctic cold in there too....don't be surprised at a brutal outbreak or two.

Winter's last run at a weak Nino pattern that hasn't been able to develop this season....maybe we get our fun two or three weeks....or maybe this is just the final Lucy football act.

What a kick in the nuts if I have to buy a snow blower after I move.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

NAM held serve. 

Winter weather advisories hoisted.

I cant believe I am getting another dose of sleet tomorrow. How much sleet can we take!

Where is the standard NE trend when we need it.

3km NAM has been increasingly more bullish in its last 3 runs.  My hood stays at or below 0°C at the surface throughout, with all qpf of the frozen variety.

33 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

Total make-believe land, but EPS P22 would redeem the winter for many... 969 over Cape to 942 in Gulf of Maine

Not the only nuke in there for Feb 27-29

942 :lol:
Lowest land-based BP in Maine of which I'm aware is 957 at CAR during the groundhog day storm of 1976 - that one featured winds gusting over 100 in Penobscot Bay.