Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 2019 Discussion I

NorEastermass128

12 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

No way will ORH run underground lines...that would cost insane money.   Maybe in new housing areas, but not retrofitting.   

Yeah--I would have been surprised.  I hadn't realized there weren't any on the street until I noticed them running along the back boundary.

1 hour ago, Snow88 said:

Nothing exciting on the models at all. Looks like the good pattern that people thought that was coming is going to fail.

Hopefully things change but this winter has been awful with tons of busts.

Bring on baseball. First game is today =)

Do you always copy and paste you posts from Association of Weather Enthusiasts here? Lol

8 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

You know about planes and stuff.....think many flights will be cancelled Monday?

I don’t think so, but boy it’s gonna be rough all over the NE the lower several thousand feet. If gusts get near 50kts or higher (which may happen in spots) we could see delays or cancellations. I could see a lot of delays due to wind. 

31 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I don’t think so, but boy it’s gonna be rough all over the NE the lower several thousand feet. If gusts get near 50kts or higher (which may happen in spots) we could see delays or cancellations. I could see a lot of delays due to wind. 

Yea really does seem to be a fantastic setup for wind in winter up here. The way the surface front lags signficantly behind the front at 850 is critical. The nearly due west direction should also maximize compressional heating...something we don’t see with stem winding sou’ Easter’s...

Just now, jbenedet said:

Yea really does seem to be a fantastic setup for wind in winter up here. The way the surface front lags signficantly behind the front at 850 is critical. The nearly due west direction should also maximize compressional heating...something we don’t see with stem winding sou’ Easter’s...

Euro max wind gusts above 55 concentration is on  elevation. 45 to 50 elsewhere. 

download (27).png

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Euro max wind gusts above 55 concentration is on  elevation. 45 to 50 elsewhere. 

download (27).png

This is a good baseline for sure, but I’m skeptical of how well this models mesoscale feedbacks. 

There are other reasons to expect this to outperform - late February (higher sun angle, clear skies, and 850 mb winds peak around 12 pm.)

3 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Agree. I went through some terrible winters growing up in CNJ too but this one takes the crown.

At least it can't get any worse next year, can it? I heard stories of yore where my grandfather got a sled in the 20s for Christmas and it never snowed. To make matters worse I think long island sound was partially frozen so must have been pretty cold.